Old 09-21-2010, 09:29 AM
Stefan Bader

Default Retirement of fsl-imx51 in Karmic

On 09/21/2010 10:31 AM, Eric Miao wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 3:51 PM, Bryan Wu <bryan.wu@canonical.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 3:41 PM, Stefan Bader
>> <stefan.bader@canonical.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> We could and that would be done by moving the code back from the Lucid repo to
>>> the Karmic repo (in order to make kernels for a release be in the release repo).
>>> But frankly, even this being not a big issue to do, I do not really want to
>>> spend any effort on something that is not used. And if every development and
>>> project has moved to Lucid, why bother?
>>>
>>> Ike, are you aware of any Karmic arm project for OEM that use the fsl-imx51
>>> branch there?
>>>

>> I agree to drop this support in karmic for fsl-imx51. No OEM project
>> is based on Karmic fsl-imx51.
>>

> There is no known OEM project based on Karmic mvl-dove as well.
>
> And if Lucid kernel can support Karmic user-space out of the box, I
> would vote for drop mvl-dove in karmic kernel as well.

The small difference for mvl-dove is that this actually is 2.6.31 in Karmic and
2.6.32 in Lucid, while fsl-imx51 is 2.6.31 in both cases but has different
patchsets on top of it.

-Stefan

Old 09-21-2010, 09:29 AM
Stefan Bader

Old 09-21-2010, 10:37 AM
Ike Panhc

On 09/21/2010 03:41 PM, Stefan Bader wrote:
> On 09/20/2010 07:39 PM, Tobin Davis wrote:
>> Just out of curiosity, why not use the same kernel as in Lucid? They
>> are the same base kernel, just built for different HW (armv6+vfp vs
>> armv7).
>
> We could and that would be done by moving the code back from the Lucid repo to
> the Karmic repo (in order to make kernels for a release be in the release repo).
> But frankly, even this being not a big issue to do, I do not really want to
> spend any effort on something that is not used. And if every development and
> project has moved to Lucid, why bother?
>
> Ike, are you aware of any Karmic arm project for OEM that use the fsl-imx51
> branch there?

No, OEM projects of fsl-imx51 are based on Jaunty and Lucid. No Karmic one, its
safe to retire the branch.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:37 AM
Ike Panhc

Old 09-21-2010, 02:04 PM
David Mandala

On 09/20/2010 12:02 PM, Stefan Bader wrote:
> I hope I got the relevant people included... I am writing this in preparation to
> remove the fsl-imx51 topic branch from the actively supported topic branches in
> Karmic.
>
> Why? This branch has seriously fallen into unmaintained already. When asking
> around we usually have no hardware to test and I am being told that there are no
> projects which use this.
> Additionally we had this bricking issue with 3.0 babbage boards (or was that
> 2.5?) which only was fixed in Lucid code. So we either need to replace the
> Karmic code with the Lucid patches or should drop it. And I don't see much use
> in doing that work if nobody really cares.
>
> So if anybody *does* care, speak now.
>
> -Stefan

Retire, there is no hardware in the wild that uses this anymore, it was
iMX51 Babbage 2.0, everything we care about is based on iMX51 Babbage
2.5 and 3.0

Cheers,

David

--
David Mandala <davidm at canonical dot com>
http://www.canonical.com/ Public Key id: 45B2D952

Old 09-21-2010, 03:57 PM
Stefan Bader

On 09/20/2010 07:02 PM, Stefan Bader wrote:
> I hope I got the relevant people included... I am writing this in preparation to
> remove the fsl-imx51 topic branch from the actively supported topic branches in
> Karmic.
>
> Why? This branch has seriously fallen into unmaintained already. When asking
> around we usually have no hardware to test and I am being told that there are no
> projects which use this.
> Additionally we had this bricking issue with 3.0 babbage boards (or was that
> 2.5?) which only was fixed in Lucid code. So we either need to replace the
> Karmic code with the Lucid patches or should drop it. And I don't see much use
> in doing that work if nobody really cares.
>
> So if anybody *does* care, speak now.
>
> -Stefan

And so it was done. The final tip has been archived as fsl-imx51-mothball tag.

-Stefan

Old 09-21-2010, 03:57 PM
Stefan Bader

Old 09-22-2010, 11:20 AM
Loc Minier

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010, Stefan Bader wrote:
> > I hope I got the relevant people included... I am writing this in preparation to
> > remove the fsl-imx51 topic branch from the actively supported topic branches in
> > Karmic.
> >
> > Why? This branch has seriously fallen into unmaintained already. When asking
> > around we usually have no hardware to test and I am being told that there are no
> > projects which use this.
> > Additionally we had this bricking issue with 3.0 babbage boards (or was that
> > 2.5?) which only was fixed in Lucid code. So we either need to replace the
> > Karmic code with the Lucid patches or should drop it. And I don't see much use
> > in doing that work if nobody really cares.
> >
> > So if anybody *does* care, speak now.
> >
> > -Stefan
> >

> And so it was done. The final tip has been archived as fsl-imx51-mothball tag.

that was quite quick

I don't particularly care for the fate of karmic imx51 support, but
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KarmicKoala/ReleaseManifest said Ubuntu Desktop
on imx51 would be supported for 18 months. You might want to get
David's input on how much he cares for imx51 before killing it.

You mention some bricking issue, I heard some people mention this; I
understand that some intermediate development kernel bricked these
boards permanently. This was certainly post karmic since the
problematic kernels were working on Babbage 3.0 boards and these were
just coming out back in these days; some 2.5 boards got bricked.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM/BabbageKarmicInstall mentions that 1.0
boards aren't supported anymore, 2.0 and 2.5 are what's supported, and
3.0 might work but is untested.

I think Canonical has some 3.0 and possibly some 2.x boards in the
datacenter.

--
Loc Minier

Old 09-22-2010, 11:20 AM
Loc Minier

Old 09-22-2010, 12:45 PM
Stefan Bader

On 09/22/2010 01:20 PM, Loc Minier wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 21, 2010, Stefan Bader wrote:
>>> I hope I got the relevant people included... I am writing this in preparation to
>>> remove the fsl-imx51 topic branch from the actively supported topic branches in
>>> Karmic.
>>>
>>> Why? This branch has seriously fallen into unmaintained already. When asking
>>> around we usually have no hardware to test and I am being told that there are no
>>> projects which use this.
>>> Additionally we had this bricking issue with 3.0 babbage boards (or was that
>>> 2.5?) which only was fixed in Lucid code. So we either need to replace the
>>> Karmic code with the Lucid patches or should drop it. And I don't see much use
>>> in doing that work if nobody really cares.
>>>
>>> So if anybody *does* care, speak now.
>>>
>>> -Stefan
>>>

>> And so it was done. The final tip has been archived as fsl-imx51-mothball tag.
>
> that was quite quick
>
> I don't particularly care for the fate of karmic imx51 support, but
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KarmicKoala/ReleaseManifest said Ubuntu Desktop
> on imx51 would be supported for 18 months. You might want to get
> David's input on how much he cares for imx51 before killing it.

Well this is more or less just finalizes what is fact for quite a while now. Any
new patches are made against the Lucid version and if at all it requires poking
people hardly to find out what to do about the Karmic version. It only is a pita
to drag along with every security update.
No one tests Karmic or if people need to completely replace installations on
their boards, causing more lag until a test could be done.

> You mention some bricking issue, I heard some people mention this; I
> understand that some intermediate development kernel bricked these
> boards permanently. This was certainly post karmic since the
> problematic kernels were working on Babbage 3.0 boards and these were
> just coming out back in these days; some 2.5 boards got bricked.

Yes, testing one of the security updates for fsl-imx51 on Lucid caused several
boards to be hard bricked. There was a fix for Lucid but this cannot be applied
to Karmic as the patches on top of 2.6.31 are too different.
I had been asking about Karmic for a long time and I never got feedback. I have
not done any security updates for Karmic fsl-imx51 since then as I could not be
sure the Karmic version might not brick boards and nobody cared.

So I just officially declared that corpse that is called fsl-imx51 in Karmic
dead. It has been rotting long enough now. Surely David could tell me otherwise
but then we need a plan an some man power on the Arm side to bring this into
shape. I cannot honestly call the current state of the repo supported without
getting red and growing a long nose.

-Stefan