Old 01-17-2008, 02:36 PM
"Wong, Carl"

Default Midbrowser status update (1-10-08 -> 1-17-08)

* Team is busy working on moving from FF 3.0 beta 1 to beta 2 code base.

* Looking into why bookmark not working in FF3.0 based Midbrowser.

* Got some good performance numbers from QA on FF3.0 base Midbrowser.
The average page rendering is close to 50% faster with the FF3.0 beta1
based code. However the startup time appears to be slower.

* We have got permission from the owner of the grabanddrag addon to use
in Midbrowser to provide finger scrolling.

Carl

Old 01-17-2008, 05:21 PM
Alexander Sack

On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 07:36:01AM -0800, Wong, Carl wrote:

> * Team is busy working on moving from FF 3.0 beta 1 to beta 2 code base.

the merge is finished and available on the WORKING branch [1]. Once we
have fixed the icons we can go ahead and QA for other blockers and if
nothing seriously pops up make midbrowser 0.3 the default imo.

> * Looking into why bookmark not working in FF3.0 based Midbrowser.

fixed in WORKING as well

> * Got some good performance numbers from QA on FF3.0 base Midbrowser.
> The average page rendering is close to 50% faster with the FF3.0 beta1
> based code. However the startup time appears to be slower.

We should switch to use system xulrunner-1.9 everywhere in
mobile. Once the home screen (and midbrowser) use xulrunner-1.9, the
important libs will already be loaded when starting midbrowser for
the first time.

> * We have got permission from the owner of the grabanddrag addon to use
> in Midbrowser to provide finger scrolling.

Isn't that code tri-licensed anyway?

[1] - http://www.moblin.org/repos/?p=projects/mobile-browser.git;a=shortlog;h=WORKING

- Alexander

Old 01-17-2008, 05:26 PM
"Spencer, Bob"

Alexander Sack wrote:
> We should switch to use system xulrunner-1.9 everywhere in mobile.
> Once the home screen (and midbrowser) use xulrunner-1.9, the
> important libs will already be loaded when starting midbrowser for
> the first time.
> - Alexander

That sounds exciting. Startup has been a challenge since the beginnig.
While this will increase the MID first-time startup time, I wonder what
the hit will be on subsequent fast-boot startup times.

Bob

Old 01-17-2008, 05:31 PM
Alexander Sack

On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 10:26:35AM -0800, Spencer, Bob wrote:
> Alexander Sack wrote:
> > We should switch to use system xulrunner-1.9 everywhere in mobile.
> > Once the home screen (and midbrowser) use xulrunner-1.9, the
> > important libs will already be loaded when starting midbrowser for
> > the first time.
> > - Alexander
>
> That sounds exciting. Startup has been a challenge since the beginnig.
> While this will increase the MID first-time startup time, I wonder what
> the hit will be on subsequent fast-boot startup times.

how is fast-boot startup done? is that hibernate?

- Alexander