Old 01-16-2008, 03:05 PM
Kyle Nitzsche

Default how to run as ume user in Xephyr?

Anyone know how to launch target in Xephyr as ume user, not root?

Kyle

Old 01-17-2008, 11:16 AM
Loc Minier

Hi Kyle,

On Wed, Jan 16, 2008, Kyle Nitzsche wrote:
> Anyone know how to launch target in Xephyr as ume user, not root?

This is something I do regularly, but which is very hackish.

First, I have an ume user on my host; it has uid 1001.

Second, the ume user is usually created by ume-config-common in the
targets but with first available uid of 1000. I change this uid in
/etc/passwd and /etc/group in the /targets/<image>/fs chroot.

Third, I'm fixing the Xephyr startup to run as ume:
- I install xserver-xephyr manually as root
- I start dbus manually in the chroot as root and comment this out of
the ume-xephyr-start script
- I make sure that /tmp is bind mounted (image-creator does this
automatically I think) as well as /home (for Xauthority)

CAUTION: if you bind mount /home, make sure you unmount it before
removing your target, or you could cause image-creator to rm -rf your
home

This works well for me, but should be made more easy. Also, this
doesn't plug the current hole that Xephyr is run with -ac in the
script, but that's not an issue on single user systems.

--
Loc Minier

Old 01-17-2008, 02:02 PM
Kyle Nitzsche

Thanks for the info, Loic.

If it were made more straightforward (maybe even the default), folks
would be more likely to run as ume user in Xephyr target, which might
help unearth bugs.

Kyle

Old 01-17-2008, 05:24 PM
"Spencer, Bob"

John,
Do you think defaulting to user "ume" is OK? It has an advantage for me in that I can setup my home environment including adding media content and it will be the same on the Q1. I think we talked about this once and decided against it, but I can't remember why.
Bob

Old 01-17-2008, 08:29 PM
"Villalovos, John L"

Spencer, Bob wrote:
> Do you think defaulting to user "ume" is OK? It has an
> advantage for me in that I can setup my home environment
> including adding media content and it will be the same on the
> Q1. I think we talked about this once and decided against it, but I
> can't remember why. Bob

I don't see a problem with it. Not sure if anybody else has an option.

If you want to commit a fix or send me a patch, then we can do it.

John

Old 01-17-2008, 08:38 PM
"Levinson, Aaron N"

I requested this change some time ago, and I think the reason that John was against it was that the ume user is not guaranteed to exist when Image Creator is used for other versions of Linux. This could be an option--the user could select the default user for a particular project or target.

Aaron