Old 01-16-2008, 04:08 AM
Bryce Harrington

Default New -psb package

In investigating the X issues I noticed things appear to be failing in
the memory manager. Looking closer at my -psb package, I noticed a
patch was not getting included, and consequently libmm was not being
properly built. Here's a package with this fixed (I think):

http://people.ubuntu.com/~bryce/Testing/xserver-xorg-video-psb/

I also added a patch that adds more debugging code in the area where
things seem to be failing, to hopefully pinpoint where the failure
occurs.

Bryce

Old 01-16-2008, 04:15 AM
Bryce Harrington

On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 09:08:54PM -0800, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> In investigating the X issues I noticed things appear to be failing in
> the memory manager. Looking closer at my -psb package, I noticed a
> patch was not getting included, and consequently libmm was not being
> properly built. Here's a package with this fixed (I think):
>
> http://people.ubuntu.com/~bryce/Testing/xserver-xorg-video-psb/
>
> I also added a patch that adds more debugging code in the area where
> things seem to be failing, to hopefully pinpoint where the failure
> occurs.
>
> Bryce

Btw, all the gory details of today's work...
http://bryceharrington.org/drupal/node/31

I'm not sure how to build lpia packages, but the next step is to build
a new lpia deb and test it against a recent img.

Bryce

Old 01-16-2008, 03:00 PM
Tony Espy

Bryce Harrington wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 09:08:54PM -0800, Bryce Harrington wrote:
>> In investigating the X issues I noticed things appear to be failing in
>> the memory manager. Looking closer at my -psb package, I noticed a
>> patch was not getting included, and consequently libmm was not being
>> properly built. Here's a package with this fixed (I think):
>>
>> http://people.ubuntu.com/~bryce/Testing/xserver-xorg-video-psb/
>>
>> I also added a patch that adds more debugging code in the area where
>> things seem to be failing, to hopefully pinpoint where the failure
>> occurs.
>>
>> Bryce
>
> Btw, all the gory details of today's work...
> http://bryceharrington.org/drupal/node/31
>
> I'm not sure how to build lpia packages, but the next step is to build
> a new lpia deb and test it against a recent img.

Bryce --

The only way I know how to build 'lpia' packages is to use debuild
within an image-creator project chroot.

This requires you to either build a menlow image from scratch and use
it's project chroot, or import a saved project into image-creator and
use it's chroot.

Ciao,
/tony

Old 01-16-2008, 05:51 PM
"Gunawardana, Inuka"

I tried this package, and I had the same issues as yesterday (not that
it means anything). I will try to create a new image and give it another
shot, since I seemed to have a different set of issues on my system.

Inuka

Old 01-16-2008, 06:04 PM
Bryce Harrington

Can you send me a copy of your Xorg.0.log?

Old 01-16-2008, 06:09 PM
"Gunawardana, Inuka"

Attached is the log.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:28 PM
Bryce Harrington

Hi Inuka,

I got a similar issue when booting the -psb compiled against gutsy. I
resolved it by rebuilding the driver against hardy.

Thanks,
Bryce

Old 01-16-2008, 08:02 PM
"Gunawardana, Inuka"

Bryce,
I did recompile the kernel driver against the hardy. I am going to try
again with a clean image. Let me know if you guys do make progress
testing this.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:47 PM
Bryce Harrington

Hi Inuka,

I've made some progress in getting more debug info. I loaded the -psb I
posted last night - it still failed in the same spot, but I'd added some
additional debug messages [1] to help narrow down where the crash is.
Based on this info in the Xorg.0.log [2], I've determined that the
failure is occurring during this call:

psbDRILock(pScrn, 0); # Implemented in psb_dri.c

As well, thanks to having networking now, I've been able to log in
remotely and run xinit in gdb, and now have a backtrace:

#0 0xb7fa1410 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
#1 0xb7d8f4e2 in sigsuspend () from /lib/libc.so.6
#2 0x08049a97 in ?? ()
#3 0xbf981238 in ?? ()
#4 0x00001142 in ?? ()
#5 0xffffffff in ?? ()
#6 0xb7eab140 in ?? () from /lib/libc.so.6
#7 0x00000000 in ?? ()

Not very useful, but at least we finally _have_ a backtrace on it.
I'm experimenting with a few other techniques to try getting a better
backtrace (like against X itself).

I'm also going to add more debug statements into the psbDRILock()
routine to further narrow in on the crash from that direction.

[1]: http://people.ubuntu.com/~bryce/UME/103_psb_debugs.patch
[2]: http://people.ubuntu.com/~bryce/UME/Xorg.0.log

Old 01-17-2008, 05:23 PM
Matt Zimmerman

On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 11:00:31AM -0500, Tony Espy wrote:
> Bryce Harrington wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 09:08:54PM -0800, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> >> In investigating the X issues I noticed things appear to be failing in
> >> the memory manager. Looking closer at my -psb package, I noticed a
> >> patch was not getting included, and consequently libmm was not being
> >> properly built. Here's a package with this fixed (I think):
> >>
> >> http://people.ubuntu.com/~bryce/Testing/xserver-xorg-video-psb/
> >>
> >> I also added a patch that adds more debugging code in the area where
> >> things seem to be failing, to hopefully pinpoint where the failure
> >> occurs.
> >>
> >> Bryce
> >
> > Btw, all the gory details of today's work...
> > http://bryceharrington.org/drupal/node/31
> >
> > I'm not sure how to build lpia packages, but the next step is to build
> > a new lpia deb and test it against a recent img.
>
> Bryce --
>
> The only way I know how to build 'lpia' packages is to use debuild
> within an image-creator project chroot.
>
> This requires you to either build a menlow image from scratch and use
> it's project chroot, or import a saved project into image-creator and
> use it's chroot.

"debuild -alpia" in an Ubuntu/i386 environment should work for simple
cases, exploiting the fact that i386 binaries will run on LPIA.

--
- mdz