FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu Mobile and Embedded

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-05-2010, 02:44 AM
"Pedro I. Sanchez"
 
Default Rootstock for ARMv5

Hello,

I'd like to create a Ubuntu ARM root file system based on the 10.04 LTS
release using the rootstock tool. The problem is that I'm stuck with my
current AT91sam9260 processor which only supports ARMv5 (rootstock in
9.10 and 10.04 dropped support for it).

What do you think would be the ideal path to follow to get an
ARMv5-friendly rootstock? I'm ready to put the resources to recompile
the whole source repository. Any suggestions on how to proceed would be
very much appreciated.

Thank you,

--
Pedro Sanchez


--
Ubuntu-mobile mailing list
Ubuntu-mobile@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-mobile
 
Old 05-05-2010, 12:54 PM
Loc Minier
 
Default Rootstock for ARMv5

Hey there

On Tue, May 04, 2010, Pedro I. Sanchez wrote:
> I'd like to create a Ubuntu ARM root file system based on the 10.04 LTS
> release using the rootstock tool. The problem is that I'm stuck with my
> current AT91sam9260 processor which only supports ARMv5 (rootstock in
> 9.10 and 10.04 dropped support for it).
>
> What do you think would be the ideal path to follow to get an
> ARMv5-friendly rootstock? I'm ready to put the resources to recompile
> the whole source repository. Any suggestions on how to proceed would be
> very much appreciated.

So one thing to keep in mind is that rootstock doesn't build the actual
ARM binaries; it creates *filesystems* from the prebuilt Ubuntu
packages. The Ubuntu packages were built for v5 in Ubuntu 9.04, and
are incompatible with ARMv5 in Ubuntu 9.10 and later. What you could
do:
* use Ubuntu 9.04 packages ("jaunty"); this is getting old and will
soon be unsupported AIUI
* use Debian; Debian's armel port is compatible with ARMv4t and above
* rebuild Ubuntu or wait for someone to provide a rebuild; currently
this aint easy, but it's on the radar of various people to try to
provide a tool to allow this; it's not really aimed at ARMv5
specifically though, and this will take a while to appear/happen

Hope this helps,
--
Loc Minier

--
Ubuntu-mobile mailing list
Ubuntu-mobile@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-mobile
 
Old 05-05-2010, 05:31 PM
"Pedro I. Sanchez"
 
Default Rootstock for ARMv5

On 10-05-05 08:54 AM, Loc Minier wrote:
> Hey there
>
> On Tue, May 04, 2010, Pedro I. Sanchez wrote:
>> I'd like to create a Ubuntu ARM root file system based on the 10.04 LTS
>> release using the rootstock tool. The problem is that I'm stuck with my
>> current AT91sam9260 processor which only supports ARMv5 (rootstock in
>> 9.10 and 10.04 dropped support for it).
>>
>> What do you think would be the ideal path to follow to get an
>> ARMv5-friendly rootstock? I'm ready to put the resources to recompile
>> the whole source repository. Any suggestions on how to proceed would be
>> very much appreciated.
>
> So one thing to keep in mind is that rootstock doesn't build the actual
> ARM binaries; it creates *filesystems* from the prebuilt Ubuntu
> packages. The Ubuntu packages were built for v5 in Ubuntu 9.04, and
> are incompatible with ARMv5 in Ubuntu 9.10 and later. What you could
> do:
> * use Ubuntu 9.04 packages ("jaunty"); this is getting old and will
> soon be unsupported AIUI

Yes, that's what I have now, a Jaunty-based system that I created using
an early version of rootstock. And I'm looking at a way to get into a
LTS release.

> * use Debian; Debian's armel port is compatible with ARMv4t and above

Yes, I've been looking at this option as well. And now, giving your
comments on the next option the Debian solution is becoming the one at
the top of my list.

> * rebuild Ubuntu or wait for someone to provide a rebuild; currently
> this aint easy, but it's on the radar of various people to try to
> provide a tool to allow this; it's not really aimed at ARMv5
> specifically though, and this will take a while to appear/happen
>

Well, as I said above, this points me to moving away from Ubuntu towards
Debian at least for this project I'm working on. I'd be glad to help
with the "re-building" tool if such effort gets started somehow.

One final thought however, what is the likelihood of a modified
rootstock script that sources packages from a Debian repo as opposed to
Ubuntu's? I just like the simplicity of the rootstock script. Or, is
there something similar in the Debian side that you could suggest?

Thank you for you comments.

--
Pedro


> Hope this helps,


--
Ubuntu-mobile mailing list
Ubuntu-mobile@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-mobile
 
Old 05-05-2010, 07:59 PM
Oliver Grawert
 
Default Rootstock for ARMv5

hi,
Am Mittwoch, den 05.05.2010, 13:31 -0400 schrieb Pedro I. Sanchez:
>
> One final thought however, what is the likelihood of a modified
> rootstock script that sources packages from a Debian repo as opposed to
> Ubuntu's? I just like the simplicity of the rootstock script. Or, is
> there something similar in the Debian side that you could suggest?
patches are welcome, source code is at [1], note though that rootstock
is completely written for ubuntu, on ubuntu using the ubuntu qemu
implementation which has some cream and cherry on top compared to the
debian one.

it might take some effort to port it, especially since it makes some
ubuntuish assumptions (for example setting up sudo in the target,
locking the root account etc etc) but any improvement to the script is
indeed welcome

ciao
oli

[1]
https://code.launchpad.net/~project-rootstock-developers/project-rootstock/trunk

--
Ubuntu-mobile mailing list
Ubuntu-mobile@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-mobile
 
Old 05-06-2010, 07:52 AM
Hector Oron
 
Default Rootstock for ARMv5

Hello Ogra,

> it might take some effort to port it, especially since it makes some
> ubuntuish assumptions (for example setting up sudo in the target,
> locking the root account etc etc) but any improvement to the script is
> indeed welcome

I wonder how hard should be to have rootstock use multistrap, instead
debootstrap, which can pull from multiple repositories, so rootstock
users (OEM, thrid parties, ...) just have to set their multiple
repositories (Debian, Ubuntu, Emdebian, PearsonComputing,
$my_home_repo, etc.) in the multistrap config file.

Kind regards,
--
Hctor Orn

"Our Sun unleashes tremendous flares expelling hot gas into the Solar
System, which one day will disconnect us."

--
Ubuntu-mobile mailing list
Ubuntu-mobile@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-mobile
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:21 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org