Old 03-09-2010, 08:08 AM
Ralf Fessler

Default ubuntu mid edition 8.10

hello,

my name is ralf and i really like the mid edition. i know that it's not
longer developed, but i'm wondering if you could help me to install the
regular generic kernel.

i'm using the 8.10 mid edition on my asus r2h and so far everything
works. touchscreen, wifi, 3g. the webcam is not working, but it worked
with xubuntu 8.10.

my problem is, i would like to use my r2h as a navi with navit
installed, but navit does not run on the lpia-kernel.

i downloaded the generic kernel and tried to install him with gdebi and
got the error message - wrong architecture.

would be awesome if you could help me further!!!

best regards ralf

Old 03-09-2010, 09:35 AM
Emmet Hikory

Ralf Fessler wrote:
> my name is ralf and i really like the mid edition. i know that it's not
> longer developed, but i'm wondering if you could help me to install the
> regular generic kernel.

For the 8.10 release, I think you have no clear route, as I
believe MID only worked for the "lpia" architecture on 8.10, and don't
believe there is a generic kernel for that. If you're running 9.04,
you should be able to install MID on i386, which can run the generic
kernel (although I don't happen to remember how well tested this was).

Unfortunately, other than reinstallation, I don't know of a way to
do it safely. You might be able to force-install the kernel and
related packages, but something may well break if you do that due to
various differences in packaging between lpia and i386.

--
Emmet HIKORY