Old 02-19-2010, 01:47 PM
Eric Miao

Default Karmic kernel for booting Dove X0

All,

I've met a question regarding karmic kernel for booting Dove X0 and would
like to know your input.

The Dove X0 bootup fixing patches for Lucid kernel are not applicable to
the current Karmic kernel. Howerver, there is a big patch series that
Marvell provided after Karmic is released, and which I felt a little bit
reluctant to apply because it introduced a suspend/resume regression on
Dove Y1 (not tested on Dove X0 though) and esp. Karmic is in SRU process
now.

The URL of this big patch series is:

git://kernel.ubuntu.com/marvell/dove-kernel karmic-dove-mrvl

Based on this branch, the X0 boot up patches apply generally OK (there
is actually a conflict which I'm confident to get it solved correctly).
So here come the options:

1. Ask Marvell to provide X0 boot up fixing patches against our current
Karmic kernel

2. karmic-dove-mrvl rebased to Karmic + Dove X0 bootup fixing patches

PS: I've built a testing kernel package at:

http://people.canonical.com/~ycmiao/dove-x0test/
linux-image-2.6.31-211-dove_2.6.31-211.23~x0test_armel.deb

Anyone is able to test, please report back. (As well as suspend/resume
issue, better on Y1 and X0 both)

Thanks
- eric

Old 02-19-2010, 02:01 PM
Andy Whitcroft

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 10:47:31PM +0800, Eric Miao wrote:
> All,
>
> I've met a question regarding karmic kernel for booting Dove X0 and would
> like to know your input.
>
> The Dove X0 bootup fixing patches for Lucid kernel are not applicable to
> the current Karmic kernel. Howerver, there is a big patch series that
> Marvell provided after Karmic is released, and which I felt a little bit
> reluctant to apply because it introduced a suspend/resume regression on
> Dove Y1 (not tested on Dove X0 though) and esp. Karmic is in SRU process
> now.
>

> The URL of this big patch series is:
>
> git://kernel.ubuntu.com/marvell/dove-kernel karmic-dove-mrvl
>
> Based on this branch, the X0 boot up patches apply generally OK (there
> is actually a conflict which I'm confident to get it solved correctly).
> So here come the options:
>
> 1. Ask Marvell to provide X0 boot up fixing patches against our current
> Karmic kernel
>
> 2. karmic-dove-mrvl rebased to Karmic + Dove X0 bootup fixing patches
>
> PS: I've built a testing kernel package at:
>
> http://people.canonical.com/~ycmiao/dove-x0test/
> linux-image-2.6.31-211-dove_2.6.31-211.23~x0test_armel.deb
>
> Anyone is able to test, please report back. (As well as suspend/resume
> issue, better on Y1 and X0 both)

Given that we do not believe we have any users of Karmic mvl-dove at
this time changing the kernel is relativly low risk. Especially as we
know the current kernel it doesn't work for any Marvell Dove kit that is
meant to work, right?

Though we would want to know the new one works. Testers?

-apw

Old 02-19-2010, 02:13 PM
Stefan Bader

Andy Whitcroft wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 10:47:31PM +0800, Eric Miao wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> I've met a question regarding karmic kernel for booting Dove X0 and would
>> like to know your input.
>>
>> The Dove X0 bootup fixing patches for Lucid kernel are not applicable to
>> the current Karmic kernel. Howerver, there is a big patch series that
>> Marvell provided after Karmic is released, and which I felt a little bit
>> reluctant to apply because it introduced a suspend/resume regression on
>> Dove Y1 (not tested on Dove X0 though) and esp. Karmic is in SRU process
>> now.
>>

>> The URL of this big patch series is:
>>
>> git://kernel.ubuntu.com/marvell/dove-kernel karmic-dove-mrvl
>>
>> Based on this branch, the X0 boot up patches apply generally OK (there
>> is actually a conflict which I'm confident to get it solved correctly).
>> So here come the options:
>>
>> 1. Ask Marvell to provide X0 boot up fixing patches against our current
>> Karmic kernel
>>
>> 2. karmic-dove-mrvl rebased to Karmic + Dove X0 bootup fixing patches
>>
>> PS: I've built a testing kernel package at:
>>
>> http://people.canonical.com/~ycmiao/dove-x0test/
>> linux-image-2.6.31-211-dove_2.6.31-211.23~x0test_armel.deb
>>
>> Anyone is able to test, please report back. (As well as suspend/resume
>> issue, better on Y1 and X0 both)
>
> Given that we do not believe we have any users of Karmic mvl-dove at
> this time changing the kernel is relativly low risk. Especially as we
> know the current kernel it doesn't work for any Marvell Dove kit that is
> meant to work, right?

Would work for me but same mind about having it tested.

Stefan

Old 02-19-2010, 03:00 PM
Tobin Davis

Since I have the majority of Yx boards for the mobile team (in
preparation to return them), I can do any testing needed for Marvell on
Karmic & Lucid. And I think there may be some Yx series chips in the
field that are capable of running armv6 (karmic) just fine. The OEM
team would possibly know more about that.

I would like to have X0 support in karmic if possible mainly because I
am still trying to get library testing working.

--
Tobin Davis

"Whom are you?" said he, for he had been to night school.
-- George Ade

Old 02-19-2010, 04:49 PM
Andy Whitcroft

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 08:00:16AM -0800, Tobin Davis wrote:
> Since I have the majority of Yx boards for the mobile team (in
> preparation to return them), I can do any testing needed for Marvell on
> Karmic & Lucid. And I think there may be some Yx series chips in the
> field that are capable of running armv6 (karmic) just fine. The OEM
> team would possibly know more about that.
>
> I would like to have X0 support in karmic if possible mainly because I
> am still trying to get library testing working.

I think this was the kernel that eric wanted tested presumably on both
X* and Y*:

Old 02-19-2010, 05:48 PM
Michael Casadevall

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 08:00:16AM -0800, Tobin Davis wrote:
> Since I have the majority of Yx boards for the mobile team (in
> preparation to return them), I can do any testing needed for Marvell on
> Karmic & Lucid. And I think there may be some Yx series chips in the
> field that are capable of running armv6 (karmic) just fine. The OEM
> team would possibly know more about that.
>
> I would like to have X0 support in karmic if possible mainly because I
> am still trying to get library testing working.

If we SRU the X0 patches into karmic, I would be willing to do a
one-off live image spin (unofficial of course) that can support the X0
in karmic and make it possible to do an installation and get a stable
base running karmic.
Michael