Old 02-11-2010, 10:07 AM
Oliver Grawert

Default versatile udebs and d-i images

Am Donnerstag, den 11.02.2010, 11:18 +0100 schrieb Loc Minier:
> Hi
>
> We now have a mostly working linux/versatile kernel in lucid, but to
> get to the vmlinuz file, a script such as rootstock would have to:
> a) figure out what the latest .deb name is in lucid (ABI name +
> version)
> b) download and verify that .deb
> c) unpack it and get to the vmlinuz file
this was implemented in [1] on 02-02-2010, it was effectively only
waiting for the package to arrive, but given the libc issues in qemu you
discovered i will have to leave it disabled until this is fixed as well.
(i'll pop open an extra beer if i can remove the top 6 and bottom 3
lines of that function one day )

btw, if you see any obvious improvements to that code, patches/commits
are welcome

> I'd love if we could re-enable versatile udebs and d-i images in lucid;
> that would give installation mediums for qemu/versatile (people would
> just run "qemu -kernel foo -initrd bar" and would get to d-i and be
> able to configure their system interactively) and would also make it
> much simpler for scripts such as rootstock to find a kernel (would just
> pull from a fixed URL below
> http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/dists/lucid/main/installer-armel/current/images/ )
>
> Is there any interest/objection to doing this?
from my side there is not much interest from a work POV but surely no
objection at all form a "give the community all we can give" POV.

if the kernel team, release managers and d-i maintainers dont mind the
extra work of doing NEWing and ABI bumps for another flavour, why not
have it

ciao
oli

[1]
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~project-rootstock-developers/project-rootstock/trunk/revision/35

Old 02-11-2010, 12:24 PM
Loc Minier

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> > a) figure out what the latest .deb name is in lucid (ABI name +
> > version)
> > b) download and verify that .deb
> > c) unpack it and get to the vmlinuz file
> this was implemented in [1] on 02-02-2010, it was effectively only
> waiting for the package to arrive, but given the libc issues in qemu you
> discovered i will have to leave it disabled until this is fixed as well.
> (i'll pop open an extra beer if i can remove the top 6 and bottom 3
> lines of that function one day )

Well the revision you mention doesn't implement b) and it doesn't
figure out wat the latest ABI is: it just picks all the packages with
linux-image and versatile in their name. Typically, it would match
"linux-image-versatile" incorrectly and I think there might also be
multiple ABIs in the archive.

Compare to:
wget http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/dists/lucid/main/installer-armel/current/images/imx51/netboot/vmlinuz
(s/imx51/versatile obviously)

(Also, you have the drawback of downloading the large Packages.gz and
kernel.deb (with all modules) instead of /just/ the kernel)

(NB: gpg auth would also have to be done for the above obviously)

--
Loc Minier