Old 11-15-2007, 11:41 PM
Arne Goetje

Default Enabling Simplified Chinese Pinyin input method on Ubuntu Mobile withSCIM

Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> Yes, we ship at least one Japanese font in the Ubuntu desktop by default,
> though I don't know its name offhand.

We ship ttf-kochi-mincho and ttf-kochi-gothic by default.

> Arne Goetje (CCed) is responsible for i18n and l10n issues generally in
> Ubuntu, and would be a good person to ask questions like this.
>
> On Thu, Nov 15, 2007 at 05:21:40PM -0500, Kyle Nitzsche wrote:
>> After:
>> -- installing a Japanese font
>> -- generating the japanese locale (via locale-gen ja_JP.UTF-8)
>> -- setting the LANG variable to the same locale in /etc/X11/
>> Xsession.d/25ume-config-common_startup
>> -- installing scim-anthy
>> -- configuring scim to user anthy in the SCIM UI
>> -- restarting
>>
>> Japanese Anthy char entry appears to work fine. Tested it in terminal
>> and the MidBrowser's URL field. But I don't speak or read Japanese so
>> I can only suppose it's working.
>>
>> Does anyone know whether there is an Ubuntu Japanese font package? (I
>> got one from deb http://archive.ubuntulinux.jp/ubuntu-ja gutsy-ja/)
>>
>> It was LARGE (9.9MBytes).

Was that the IPAMona font family?
I know that font is very beautiful, but due to license restrictions, we
will probably not be able to redistribute it (except it would be
accepted for multiverse maybe).

Cheers
Arne