Old 11-18-2009, 02:01 AM
"marcg99999"

Default Cannot get full screen resolution on Acer ao751h (Karmic 9.10)

ubuntu-mobile@lists.ubuntu.com
Cannot get full screen resolution on Acer ao751h (Karmic 9.10)

Trying again - I have now successfully joimed the list - hoping you can
help.
My name is Marc Gottlieb, email marcg99999@aol.com.

I just upgraded Jaunty to Karmic on my Acer ao751h. I cannot get the full
screen resolution of 1366x768.

With Jaunty 9.04, I got the full screen by:
1) add the following to/etc/apt/sources.list:
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mobile/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
2) executing the following:
sudo gpg -keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com -recv 099d6b21cc6598a30
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-psb

This wouldn't work after the upgrade.
I have spent two days following the advice on several Ubuntu forums,
including the advice at:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportComponentsVideoCardsPoulsbo
https://launchpad.net/+help/soyuz/ppa-sources-list.html

I have followed each line and done every detail suggested. Each item seemed
to execute properly (file updates, package download and install, etc), but
in the end, my screen is stuck at 1024x768. None of it has worked.

If it cannot be resolved I will reinstall 9.04, but before doing that, I was
hoping that someone who has cracked this nut might be able to post a more
detailed or explicit set of instructions.

Thanks, Marc

Old 11-18-2009, 09:41 PM
Paul

marcg99999 wrote:
> ubuntu-mobile@lists.ubuntu.com
> Cannot get full screen resolution on Acer ao751h (Karmic 9.10)
>
> Trying again - I have now successfully joimed the list - hoping you can
> help.
> My name is Marc Gottlieb, email marcg99999@aol.com.
>
> I just upgraded Jaunty to Karmic on my Acer ao751h. I cannot get the full
> screen resolution of 1366x768.
>
> With Jaunty 9.04, I got the full screen by:
> 1) add the following to/etc/apt/sources.list:
> deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mobile/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
> 2) executing the following:
> sudo gpg -keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com -recv 099d6b21cc6598a30
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-psb
>
> This wouldn't work after the upgrade.
> I have spent two days following the advice on several Ubuntu forums,
> including the advice at:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportComponentsVideoCardsPoulsbo
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8323658
> https://launchpad.net/+help/soyuz/ppa-sources-list.html
>
> I have followed each line and done every detail suggested. Each item seemed
> to execute properly (file updates, package download and install, etc), but
> in the end, my screen is stuck at 1024x768. None of it has worked.
>
> If it cannot be resolved I will reinstall 9.04, but before doing that, I was
> hoping that someone who has cracked this nut might be able to post a more
> detailed or explicit set of instructions.

You didn't keep the old kernel so you could revert in case the upgrade
didn't work?

Regardless, all you may need to do is replace the new video driver with
the old one from the 9.04 release. Karmic broke a lot of things,
especially when it comes to new vendor-supplied closed source drivers:

http://www.linux-mag.com/cache/7600/1.html

Cheers.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:11 AM
Andres Lucena

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 11:41 PM, Paul <jpb@entel.ca> wrote:

marcg99999 wrote:

> ubuntu-mobile@lists.ubuntu.com

> Cannot get full screen resolution on Acer ao751h *(Karmic 9.10)

> Trying again - I have now successfully joimed the list - hoping you can

> help.

> My name is Marc Gottlieb, email marcg99999@aol.com.

> I just upgraded Jaunty to Karmic on my Acer ao751h. *I cannot get the full

> screen resolution of 1366x768.

What's the output of xrandr ??

# xrandr

It should give you the resolution your driver supports.

Also it would be useful if you give us the output of lspci -v (only the VGA part) .

Greetings,
Anders