-   Ubuntu Mobile and Embedded (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-mobile-embedded/)
-   -   netbook remix , 9.10 and Samsung Q1U (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-mobile-embedded/273262-netbook-remix-9-10-samsung-q1u.html)

Turgut Durduran 11-02-2009 09:48 AM

netbook remix , 9.10 and Samsung Q1U

Hi,

It is a pity that Samsung Q1U which was originally the platform for ubuntu-mobile seems not to work out of the box with the UNR 9.10 (I think it was the case with 9.04 too but I skipped that one and stuck the the now expired ubuntu-mobile).

The first one is a fatal error and there is a solution here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/404421?comments=all

Then with the live USB, the touch screen does not work. Everything else is extremely slow so I am bit uneager to install it and see if it works any faster. Atleast ubuntu-mobile works, more or less, but I can't update/upgrade it.

Anyone here had any luck with it on Samsung Q1U? If I installed it, would it be in working condition --touch screen, wired/wireless networking, suspend/resume, VGA output are the most important things for me. Secondary ones are audio in/out, decent battery life and webcam (never got it to work even before).

---
http://www.stwing.upenn.edu/~durduran

John Rudd 11-02-2009 12:25 PM

netbook remix , 9.10 and Samsung Q1U

I've got 9.04 NBR on my Q1U. No real problems with the touch screen
(other than screen rotation being wonky). Wireless networking is just
fine. I haven't tried wired networking. I also don't do
suspend/resume. I do have an on-going VGA problem with it, though (it
wants to down-grade to 800x600 resolution when I hook it up to a
standard monitor, instead of doing something sensible like
letter-boxed 1024x600 inside 1024x768 or something ... or doing what
my Dell mini-9 does, which is display 1280x1024 on the external
monitor, while only showing you the upper left 1024x600 on the LCD).
Audio output is fine, haven't tried input. Neither of the cameras
works for me (I wish the picture camera did; I don't care about the
webcam). The battery life is about what I expect (comparable to my
dell mini-9).

I've mentioned the screen rotation thing here before, with no response
(nor, it seems, concern). I don't remember if I mentioned the
external display part.

That said ... I'd go with the non-NBR version of 9.04. The NBR
launcher didn't really impress me. I switched back to the
regular/normal desktop.

Turgut Durduran 12-21-2009 09:35 PM

netbook remix , 9.10 and Samsung Q1U

I have finally had some time to install it. The install went smoothly except the "i915.modeset=0" option that needs to be entered at the kernel options in GRUB for things to move forward. unfortunately, it works veeeeryy veeeryyy slowly. It looks like a launcher issue mostly. Does anyone have any clue about this?

---

John Rudd 12-22-2009 02:05 AM

netbook remix , 9.10 and Samsung Q1U

Hm. I didn't have to add any such GRUB option on mine.

Turgut Durduran 12-22-2009 08:43 AM

netbook remix , 9.10 and Samsung Q1U

> Hm. I didn't have to add any such GRUB option on mine.

There are reported bugs about that. It seems to be a common issue with 9.10 fresh install or upgrade. For example:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/404421?comments=all

I was quite perplexed for a while until I realized that GRUB 2 is installed and I need to press "shift" to enter the menu (I fail to understand how removing all notices from screen is 'user friendly') so I can enter kernel options.

Also, finally I gave up on the netbook launcher and such, I unchecked "maximus" and "netbook launcher" in the "startup applications" (odd place for them , I think) and ended up with a minimal desktop which I configured manually to show the menus and such. Now it works quite fast.

I have some evtouch calibration related issues left to deal with.

Turgut

Turgut Durduran 12-23-2009 09:16 AM

netbook remix , 9.10 and Samsung Q1U

Following up on my own message.

> I have some evtouch calibration related issues left to deal with.

The GUI calibration software appears to be still very unreliable. I had used it when it was more of a "give it a try" option but in the Ubuntu Software Center the evtouch drivers/configuration is installed under that title (very surprising to me). Its output created very strange behavior from flipped axes (common problem on ubuntuforums) to things that I can't explain which was as if it was trying to predict what I wanted to do so if I moved the stylus on a straight line the pointer would trail it and then surpass it and go forward. Anyway, by manually editing it and then re-doing it I was able to get it to work (I will post all these things when I am done).
________________________________

Now, I am having difficulty finding what to configure in order to get the touchpad/stylus combination behave as they did in the past.
I want it to act as if I am continuously pressing "button 1" (left
button on most mice) when it is pressed and dragged. I was able to drag
windows, draw using xournal etc before installing UNR, 9.10. I can't even figure out how to call this "feature" to search for a solution.

One of the primary uses of Samsung Q1U for me to annotate pdf files in Xournal with a stylus. Now, I have to make sure that I touched the stylus at the position I want to start and on-device mouse left button pressed.

Looking at "Xev", when I touch the stylus, it detects "ButtonPress" and "button 1", then when I keep it pressed it senses
"motion", when I lift it "ButtonRelease" so it is, I think, getting the
right commands but the response in X is not as if I kept the button pressed continuously.

Any ideas?

Thanks,