Old 03-25-2009, 02:32 PM
Paul Larson

Default Ubuntu Netbook Remix beta candidate testing

There is only a short time left before 9.04 beta, but a beta candidate
is available at:
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/cdimage/ubuntu-netbook-remix/daily-live/current/jaunty-netbook-remix-i386.img

If you have a netbook, and would like to help, grab the image and a USB
stick to boot from and head over to:
http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/test/2475

There you will find some basic test plans for testing the install of
UNR. While you are waiting on the image to download, you may wish to
create an account on http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com so you can log your test
results.

Even if you are not ready to install a beta of Jaunty UNR on your
netbook, you can still help by running through the live boot test that
is listed there. Please let us know about any bugs you find, and
whether the installs passed or failed on your hardware.

Thanks,
Paul Larson

Old 03-25-2009, 03:18 PM
Ian

> Can Ubuntu Netbook Remix be installed in UMPCs? Has any UMPC tested with it
> or it is only for netbooks?

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MobileTeam/Mobile/HowTo/TurnUMPCDesktopIntoNetbook

Incidentally on the last current image I downloaded (around the 7th
March IIRC) the partitioner on the install was broken..i will test
this again in the next couple of days

Regards
Ian

--
http://ianlawrence.info

Old 03-25-2009, 03:51 PM
Neil J Patel

On Wed, 2009-03-25 at 16:55 +0100, Javier Gálvez Guerrero wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can Ubuntu Netbook Remix be installed in UMPCs? Has any UMPC tested
> with it or it is only for netbooks?

Yes, it can be installed and works well! It helps if you increase the
panel size for touch and there's also a gconf key that increases the
button/widget sizing in the launcher, so it's easier to use with
touchscreens (needs a restart of the launcher):

gconftool-2 --set /apps/netbook-launcher/tablet_mode --type BOOL true

this setting could be a bit rough around the edges, but I use UNR on my
Samsung Q1 daily, and it seems fine.

Regards,

Neil

P.S. I also find it useful to hack $your_fav_gtk_theme's gtkrc and
increase the xpadding and ypadding attributes for scrollbars, checkboxes
and radiobuttons, to make gnome a bit more touch-friendly

Old 03-25-2009, 05:17 PM
Kent Loobey

On Wednesday 25 March 2009 08:32:54 Paul Larson wrote:
> There is only a short time left before 9.04 beta, but a beta candidate
> is available at:
> http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/cdimage/ubuntu-netbook-remix/daily-live/current/j
>aunty-netbook-remix-i386.img
>
> If you have a netbook, and would like to help, grab the image and a USB
> stick to boot from and head over to:
> http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/test/2475

I love this product. I have been using it on my Lenovo S10 for about a month
now (I have been keeping it up-to-date with apt-get.). So I will definitely
download and test the img you specified. Thanks so much for getting this
product out the door.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:16 PM
Brian DeLacey

Very nice UI, the USB install was easy to work with,*and the system boots up quickly.*I think this beta is a revolutionary release.
I installed it on two different models of the Acer Aspire One*- one has a hard disk, the other has SSD. Overall, it seems to work quite well and looks good. (I couldn't get Sound Recorder working with a plug-in microphone*but recording with Audacity worked fine. I will log the test results.)*

I also successfully launched the live version on a Compal Jax 10 (no touch screen or wireless working, but fine with a USB mouse and wireless adapter.)
Brian

Old 03-25-2009, 10:16 PM
Brian DeLacey