-   Ubuntu Mobile and Embedded (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-mobile-embedded/)
-   -   UNR on Acer Aspire-1 installation report (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-mobile-embedded/268948-unr-acer-aspire-1-installation-report.html)

Mark Shuttleworth 03-24-2009 09:06 AM

UNR on Acer Aspire-1 installation report

Hi folks

A quick note to say congrats and thank you for the work on UNR 9.04. I
just did an installation on an Acer Aspire One and the experience was
very positive - I think users will be delighted with this effort.

Some known glitches:

*- in Ubiquity, the time zone map seemed busted. Selecting London put
the X somewhere in Germany.

*** https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/334284

*- Wifi is busted (apparently a known issue, I didn't find the bug)

*- indicator-messages was not installed (so I got the "No indicators"
panel message)

Some kudos:

*- the new NM icons are much more obvious for "get connected"

*- the launcher itself seems slicker than ever

*- DAMN, the webcam JUST WORKED!

Some things we can improve:

*- The "install UNR" option was very hard to spot

** => Can we brainstorm ways to make it stand out? Perhaps get the
design team to mock them up?

*- The "launching XYZ" experience is not great.

** => Can we bump up the priority of nailing this for our various DX
efforts?

*- The repeated icon in the window-picker and titlebar seems
unnecessary.

** => Have we tried just highlighting the current app in the window
picker and not displaying the app icon in the title bar?

Mark

Peter Goodall 03-24-2009 09:30 AM

On Tue, 2009-03-24 at 10:06 +0000, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> A quick note to say congrats and thank you for the work on UNR 9.04. I
> just did an installation on an Acer Aspire One and the experience was
> very positive - I think users will be delighted with this effort.
>
> Some known glitches:
>
> - in Ubiquity, the time zone map seemed busted. Selecting London put
> the X somewhere in Germany.
>
> https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/334284
>
> - Wifi is busted (apparently a known issue, I didn't find the bug)

This is a problem with the acer_wmi kernel module. I believe this is
the bug:

> - indicator-messages was not installed (so I got the "No indicators"
> panel message)
>
> Some kudos:
>
> - the new NM icons are much more obvious for "get connected"
> - the launcher itself seems slicker than ever
> - DAMN, the webcam JUST WORKED!
>
> Some things we can improve:
>
> - The "install UNR" option was very hard to spot
> => Can we brainstorm ways to make it stand out? Perhaps get the
> design team to mock them up?

I was expecting to see it in the Favourites for the Live CD install.
Instead I think it is in Preferences or Administration. I agree, very
hard to find.

- Pete

--
Peter Goodall <peter.goodall@canonical.com>
Product Manager, OEM Services Group

Canonical | http://canonical.com/
Ubuntu | http://ubuntu.com/

Neil J Patel 03-24-2009 09:36 AM

On Tue, 2009-03-24 at 10:30 +0000, Peter Goodall wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-03-24 at 10:06 +0000, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
> > Hi folks
> >
> > A quick note to say congrats and thank you for the work on UNR 9.04. I
> > just did an installation on an Acer Aspire One and the experience was
> > very positive - I think users will be delighted with this effort.
> >
> > Some known glitches:
> >
> > - in Ubiquity, the time zone map seemed busted. Selecting London put
> > the X somewhere in Germany.
> >
> > https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/334284
> >
> > - Wifi is busted (apparently a known issue, I didn't find the bug)
> >

> This is a problem with the acer_wmi kernel module. I believe this is
> the bug:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/319825
>
> > - indicator-messages was not installed (so I got the "No indicators"
> > panel message)
> >
> > Some kudos:
> >
> > - the new NM icons are much more obvious for "get connected"
> > - the launcher itself seems slicker than ever
> > - DAMN, the webcam JUST WORKED!
> >
> > Some things we can improve:
> >
> > - The "install UNR" option was very hard to spot
> > => Can we brainstorm ways to make it stand out? Perhaps get the
> > design team to mock them up?
> >

> I was expecting to see it in the Favourites for the Live CD install.
> Instead I think it is in Preferences or Administration. I agree, very
> hard to find.

Weird, I thought the change was made to Ubiquity's desktop file so it
appeared in favourites too (I've seen it there before). I'll check
today's image and file a bug if that change has been reverted.

-- Neil

> - Pete
>
> > - The "launching XYZ" experience is not great.
> > => Can we bump up the priority of nailing this for our various DX
> > efforts?
> >
> > - The repeated icon in the window-picker and titlebar seems
> > unnecessary.
> > => Have we tried just highlighting the current app in the window
> > picker and not displaying the app icon in the title bar?

I believe there is a bug already filed about this duplicity. I think it
makes sense and I'll try and get it in this week.

-- Neil

Matt Zimmerman 03-24-2009 09:54 AM

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 10:06:15AM +0000, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> A quick note to say congrats and thank you for the work on UNR 9.04. I
> just did an installation on an Acer Aspire One and the experience was
> very positive - I think users will be delighted with this effort.

I'm working on a report of my own as well, with a few additional issues so
far.

> *Some known glitches:*
>
> - in Ubiquity, the time zone map seemed busted. Selecting London put
> the X somewhere in Germany.
> https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/334284
>
> - Wifi is busted (apparently a known issue, I didn't find the bug)

There are potentially two issues here:

Launchpad bug 319825 in linux "acer_wmi in Jaunty on Aspire One exposes non-functional (always disabled) rfkill device" [Medium,In progress]
https://launchpad.net/bugs/319825

jockey prefers non-working ath_pci over working ath5k on Acer Aspire One with jaunty UNR
https://launchpad.net/bugs/346078

Did you end up using wired ethernet or did you try your 3G dongle?

Agreed, filed as https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/bugs/347841

> - The "launching XYZ" experience is not great.
> => Can we bump up the priority of nailing this for our various DX
> efforts?

I agree that the dialog is not beautiful. I've not filed a bug for this,
but if you want to:

https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/netbook-launcher/+filebug

> - The repeated icon in the window-picker and titlebar seems unnecessary.
> => Have we tried just highlighting the current app in the window
> picker and not displaying the app icon in the title bar?

It does look a little strange. I haven't filed a bug about it.

--
- mdz

Steve Kowalik 03-24-2009 12:31 PM

Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
> - indicator-messages was not installed (so I got the "No indicators"
> panel message)

Ah ha! I was wondering what that was from. I have filed a bug about this
(bug #347909), and will upload a new mobile-meta after Beta.

Thanks,
--
Steve
Ubuntu Mobile Developer

Mark Shuttleworth 03-24-2009 02:57 PM

Neil J Patel wrote:

Weird, I thought the change was made to Ubiquity's desktop file so it
appeared in favourites too (I've seen it there before). I'll check
today's image and file a bug if that change has been reverted.

It's in Favourites, it's just one of many there.

In the desktop edition, it's very starkly the only icon on the desktop,
so it REALLY stands out. On UNR, it's one of perhaps 40 icons on the
screen.

Mark

Loc Minier 03-24-2009 03:31 PM

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
> - indicator-messages was not installed (so I got the "No indicators"
> panel message)

Fixed in the seeds; thanks

> * - The "install UNR" option was very hard to spot
> => Can we brainstorm ways to make it stand out? Perhaps get the
> design team to mock them up?

It seems this moved out of favorites recently, I don't know when
exactly

--
Loc Minier