Old 03-24-2009, 04:33 AM
Patrick McMichael

Default Conversion from IMG to ISO hints?

Hello everyone,

Been subscribed to the list for awhile now, am interested primarily in just running UNR on an old machine as a sort of under-powered test.* I was wondering if anyone would be willing to point me in the right direction as to how to create a bootable CD out of the thumbdrive IMG file that I've downloaded.* Mounting loopback here is not actually going to help as the tricky bit is actually writing the boot sector with the magic numbers to get the thing to boot.

I'm not asking to hold my hand, but some pointers here would really help.

Regards,

Patrick

Old 03-24-2009, 05:16 AM
Tobin Davis

Been subscribed to the list for awhile now, am interested primarily in just running UNR on an old machine as a sort of under-powered test.* I was wondering if anyone would be willing to point me in the right direction as to how to create a bootable CD out of the thumbdrive IMG file that I've downloaded.* Mounting loopback here is not actually going to help as the tricky bit is actually writing the boot sector with the magic numbers to get the thing to boot.

I'm not asking to hold my hand, but some pointers here would really help.

I'm not sure how to create an ISO image from it, but it is very easy to copy this to a USB memory stick and make it bootable.* Just type "dd bs=1024 if=jaunty-netbook-remix-i386.img of=/dev/<usb device>" (where <usb device> is sda, sdb, etc - do not write it to any partition, use the full device).

The img file is a vfat (fat32) image with a bootsector to load syslinux.* To make an ISO, you would first need to run mkisofs to make an ISO image file, then mount both the ISO and the img file in loop and copy all of the data over.* Then, make sure that isolinux is on the new ISO image.* I don't know the exact steps for that, but a 2G USB drive costs $10-$15 and is much faster and easier.

--
Tobin Davis

Shaw's Principle:
Build a system that even a fool can use, and only a fool will
want to use it.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:01 PM
Patrick McMichael

Thanks Tobin,
Yeah, I have plenty of extra USB memory sticks, but unfortunately, the machine I'm hoping to run this on is not USB bootable (it's probably the last one to roll off the assembly line without that support). *

I am interested in this ISOLinux thing you mentioned, I understand how to mount the .IMG loopback and copy the files over, but that's not going to do anything about the boot sector, which is the part I'm hung up on. *

Anyone got any idea how to setup the boot sector correctly? *Is there a program for reading the bootsector the .IMG file so that I can setup ISOLinux with the same kernel boot options? *From what I read on the ISOLinux wiki, I'll need to modify those files some in order to get it to work, right?

Regards,
Patrick