Old 03-12-2009, 08:39 PM
Kevin Fries

Default Is there a reasonable current HOWTO that would help me?

I am trying to put together a very, very rudimentary prototype of a new device we are proposing from here in R&D.

I have frankensteined a somewhat embedded device, and have installed a basic Jaunty Desktop on it. But, more for looks (to simulate the final production device) than for functionality, I wanted to run the embedded desktop on the system. So, based upon comments here in this forum, I installed the hildon-desktop package.

However, when I run the hildon-desktop command, it appears to run the launcher at the top of the screen, over top of the GNOME desktop instead of replacing the GNOME desktop. Not what I was aiming for.

I know this package is changing fast, and this is the fun of being on that leading edge... But, is there any reasonable howto that can get me started in making the screen look like the embedded device I hope my little box will eventually grow (i.e. shrink) into?

Thx

Kevin Fries
Senior Linux Engineer
Computer and Communications Technology, Inc
A division of Japan Communications Inc
(303) 708-9228 x326

Old 03-12-2009, 11:43 PM
Emmet Hikory

Kevin Fries wrote:
> I am trying to put together a very, very rudimentary prototype of a new device we are proposing from here in R&D.
>
> I have frankensteined a somewhat embedded device, and have installed a basic Jaunty Desktop on it. But, more for looks (to simulate the final production device) than for functionality, I wanted to run the embedded desktop on the system. So, based upon comments here in this forum, I installed the hildon-desktop package.
>
> However, when I run the hildon-desktop command, it appears to run the launcher at the top of the screen, over top of the GNOME desktop instead of replacing the GNOME desktop. Not what I was aiming for.
>
> I know this package is changing fast, and this is the fun of being on that leading edge... But, is there any reasonable howto that can get me started in making the screen look like the embedded device I hope my little box will eventually grow (i.e. shrink) into?

I don't know of an existing HOWTO, but the brief solution is to
install the ubuntu-mid package rather than the ubuntu-desktop package
when first installing.

Installing ubuntu-mid on top of a desktop install won't remove the
desktop environment, so you end up with the dual environment you've
encountered, and I'm unsure of an easy way to identify all that would
need to be removed.

--
Emmet HIKORY