Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Ubuntu Mobile and Embedded (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-mobile-embedded/)
-   -   Ubuntu UMPC status (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-mobile-embedded/259583-ubuntu-umpc-status.html)

Emmet Hikory 03-09-2009 08:56 AM

Ubuntu UMPC status
 
Ramaddan wrote:
> However, I can't seem to find enough official pages about this project,
> so I was wondering if the project is still ongoing?

There's not been a lot of people both excited about it and
committing their changes to the repo, and it's at least not listed as a
target release with 9.04. That said, there's no good reason why one
couldn't adjust the intrepid ubuntu-mobile-default-settings package to
work with 9.04, or continue development. I believe most people are
looking more at the netbook remix solution.

> The only problem I have is that it seemed to have detected an eGalax
> touchscreen, however, the Y coordinates seems to be reversed.
<...>
Please do file a bug about this, if it doesn't already exist.
Regardless of the activity of the Ubuntu UMPC effort, it represents a
bug in core Ubuntu that should be solved.

> Any ISOs instead of IMG? Any source files?

There was a fair bit of debate about ISO vs. IMG at the UDS for
Jaunty. It was decided that only IMG files would be distributed, as so
many of the target devices didn't have onboard optical drives, yet were
capable of booting from USB.

The source is just the standard Ubuntu sources. In general, apt-get
source ${package} will get you the source for a given package (although
you may need to add deb-src lines to your /etc/apt/sources.list). You
can see which packages are currently installed with `dpkg -l` (be
warned: this will be a long list).

--
Emmet HIKORY


--
Ubuntu-mobile mailing list
Ubuntu-mobile@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-mobile

Jeff 03-09-2009 12:39 PM

Ubuntu UMPC status
 
Here is a link about fixing the ts


http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/linux/126173-lilliput-screen-ubuntu.html

let me know how it goes


yam125

--
Ubuntu-mobile mailing list
Ubuntu-mobile@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-mobile

"Ramaddan" 03-09-2009 02:49 PM

Ubuntu UMPC status
 
Hi Emmet,

Thanks for the reply. That's actually very sad to hear, as Ubuntu UMPC
seems to have a much cleaner and faster interface for touchscreens, unless
I am missing something.

>That said, there's no good reason why one
>couldn't adjust the intrepid ubuntu-mobile-default-settings package to
>work with 9.04, or continue development.

I'm not really a developer, but studied programming in the past, to a
certain degree :-S
So basic in a sense, but I usually fool around files and tweak things here
and there when it makes sense to me.

How would I make these modifications to make a Ubuntu Jaunty UMPC version
for example? Is there a HOWTO page?
As for further development, I actually would like to take part in terms of
what I can at least.

Since I am not a developer, what other means can I take part in?
I can even try looking at the code and see if I can learn something if
someone is willing to show me the way.

>It was decided that only IMG files would be distributed, as so
>many of the target devices didn't have on board optical drives, yet were
>capable of booting from USB.

Isn't ISO more supported though, and easier to modify, edit, etc.. in the
GNU/Linux world?

Thanks for the help.


Emmet Hikory <persia@ubuntu.com> wrote on 9 Mar 2009, 05:56 AM:
Subject: Re: Ubuntu UMPC status
>Ramaddan wrote:
>> However, I can't seem to find enough official pages about this project,
>> so I was wondering if the project is still ongoing?
>
> There's not been a lot of people both excited about it and
>committing their changes to the repo, and it's at least not listed as a
>target release with 9.04. That said, there's no good reason why one
>couldn't adjust the intrepid ubuntu-mobile-default-settings package to
>work with 9.04, or continue development. I believe most people are
>looking more at the netbook remix solution.
>
>> The only problem I have is that it seemed to have detected an eGalax
>> touchscreen, however, the Y coordinates seems to be reversed.
><...>
> Please do file a bug about this, if it doesn't already exist.
>Regardless of the activity of the Ubuntu UMPC effort, it represents a
>bug in core Ubuntu that should be solved.
>
>> Any ISOs instead of IMG? Any source files?
>
> There was a fair bit of debate about ISO vs. IMG at the UDS for
>Jaunty. It was decided that only IMG files would be distributed, as so
>many of the target devices didn't have onboard optical drives, yet were
>capable of booting from USB.
>
> The source is just the standard Ubuntu sources. In general, apt-get
>source ${package} will get you the source for a given package (although
>you may need to add deb-src lines to your /etc/apt/sources.list). You
>can see which packages are currently installed with `dpkg -l` (be
>warned: this will be a long list).
>
>--
>Emmet HIKORY
>
>
>--
>Ubuntu-mobile mailing list
>Ubuntu-mobile@lists.ubuntu.com
>Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
>https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-mobile
>



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Send big files for free. Simple steps. No registration.
Visit now http://www.nawelny.com

--
Ubuntu-mobile mailing list
Ubuntu-mobile@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-mobile

"Ramaddan" 03-09-2009 03:06 PM

Ubuntu UMPC status
 
Hi,




I actually tried that before, but it didn't work,
but due to your email, I tried again, but something
different.




My original settings were as follows in the
following file:
"/usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/50-eGalax.fdi"




<?xml
version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!-- -*- SGML -*-
-->
<deviceinfo version="0.2">
*
<device>
*** <match key="info.product"
contains="eGalax">
***** <match
key="info.capabilities"
contains="input">
*******
<merge key="input.x11_driver"
type="string">evtouch</merge>
*******
<merge key="input.x11_options.minx"
type="string">130</merge>
*******
<merge key="input.x11_options.miny"
type="string">197</merge>
*******
<merge key="input.x11_options.maxx"
type="string">3945</merge>
*******
<merge key="input.x11_options.maxy"
type="string">3894</merge>
*******
<merge key="input.x11_options.taptimer"
type="string">30</merge>
*******
<merge key="input.x11_options.longtouchtimer"
type="string">750</merge>
*******
<merge key="input.x11_options.longtouched_action"
type="string">click</merge>
*******
<merge key="input.x11_options.longtouched_button"
type="string">3</merge>
*******
<merge key="input.x11_options.oneandhalftap_button"
type="string">2</merge>
*******
<merge key="input.x11_options.movelimit"
type="string">10</merge>
*******
<merge key="input.x11_options.touched_drag"
type="string">1</merge>
*******
<merge key="input.x11_options.maybetapped_action"
type="string">click</merge>
*******
<merge key="input.x11_options.maybetapped_button"
type="string">1</merge>
*****
</match>
*** </match>
*
</device>
</deviceinfo>




At first, I tried
adding the following options:

<merge
key="input.x11_options.rotate"
type="string">cw</merge>

<merge
key="input.x11_options.swapx"
type="bool">false</merge>

<merge
key="input.x11_options.swapy"
type="bool">false</merge>

For
each change I did, I had
to restart HAL by running:
sudo /etc/init.d/hal
restart

Then
pressing Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to restart Gnome for
changes to take
effect.

For the rotation, I tried cw and ccw, and
as
expected,
did not resolve my problem, but the options did
take
effect.

I tried turning swapy at first, as that seemed the
most
obvious, and then swapx,
and these options made no difference
whether
they were set to true or false.

At this point I was goig
to give up,
until I decided to try things manually,
as in why not
manually switch Y
values?

So I changed the following values
as
folows:
*******
<merge
key="input.x11_options.miny"
type="string">3894</merge>
*******
<merge
key="input.x11_options.maxy"
type="string">197</merge>

Restart
HAL and Gnome, and this
time it worked. YEY!

The touch
calibration was a bit off, so I tried
againt the calibration tool that
came with Ubuntu UMPC.

It did not
do anything, even after
restart, as it also did not do anything when
I
tried it the first
time I noticed the problem.

However, I used the
tool to my
advantage.

I read the coordinates spewed out when I
clicked on
the top left corner cross,
and then the bottom right
corner
cross.

I wrote those down and then applied them to the fdi
file as
follows:

<merge
key="input.x11_options.minx"
type="string">120</merge>

<merge
key="input.x11_options.miny"
type="string">3830</merge>

<merge
key="input.x11_options.maxx"
type="string">4025</merge>

<merge
key="input.x11_options.maxy"
type="string">148</merge>

All
in all, my final
modifications were as follows:

<?xml
version="1.0"
encoding="UTF-8"?> <!-- -*- SGML -*-
-->
<deviceinfo
version="0.2">
<device>

<match
key="info.product" contains="eGalax">

<match
key="info.capabilities" contains="input">

<merge
key="input.x11_driver"
type="string">evtouch</merge>

<merge
key="input.x11_options.minx"
type="string">120</merge>

<merge
key="input.x11_options.miny"
type="string">3830</merge>

<merge
key="input.x11_options.maxx"
type="string">4025</merge>

<merge
key="input.x11_options.maxy"
type="string">148</merge>

<merge
key="input.x11_options.taptimer"
type="string">30</merge>


<merge
key="input.x11_options.longtouchtimer"
type="string">750</merge>


<merge
key="input.x11_options.longtouched_action"
type="string">click</merge>


<merge
key="input.x11_options.longtouched_button"
type="string">3</merge>


<merge
key="input.x11_options.oneandhalftap_button"
type="string">2</merge>

<merge
key="input.x11_options.movelimit"
type="string">10</merge>

<merge
key="input.x11_options.touched_drag"
type="string">1</merge>


<merge
key="input.x11_options.maybetapped_action"
type="string">click</merge>


<merge
key="input.x11_options.maybetapped_button"
type="string">1</merge>

</match>

</match>


</device>
</deviceinfo>




And then
all
worked great and precise after that.




So I still need to
report a bug for this driver, or should I report a bug for the calibration
tool instead?




Thanks for the
help.









Jeff <yam125@gmail.com>
wrote on 9 Mar 2009, 09:39 AM:
Subject: Re: Ubuntu UMPC
status

Here is a link about fixing
the ts


http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/linux/126173-lilliput-screen-ubuntu.html

let
me know how it goes


yam125

--
Ubuntu-mobile mailing list
Ubuntu-mobile@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify
settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-mobile







________________________________
Free POP3 Email from www.gawab.com
Sign up NOW and get your account @gawab.com!!

________________________________
Free POP3 Email from www.gawab.com
Sign up NOW and get your account @gawab.com!!
--
Ubuntu-mobile mailing list
Ubuntu-mobile@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-mobile

Emmet Hikory 03-10-2009 02:18 AM

Ubuntu UMPC status
 
Ramaddan wrote:
> Thanks for the reply. That's actually very sad to hear, as Ubuntu UMPC
> seems to have a much cleaner and faster interface for touchscreens, unless
> I am missing something.

Compare the "ubuntu-mobile" and "ubuntu-desktop" packages in Ubuntu
8.10. The differences are extremely small. As much as anything else,
the differentiation of the UMPC flavour is no longer necessary, as the
same effects can be achieved with the Desktop flavour, with only a
couple local modifications (and these will become even fewer as the
touchscreen drivers converge upstream).

> I'm not really a developer, but studied programming in the past, to a
> certain degree :-S
> So basic in a sense, but I usually fool around files and tweak things here
> and there when it makes sense to me.
>
> How would I make these modifications to make a Ubuntu Jaunty UMPC version
> for example? Is there a HOWTO page?

I don't know of a HOWTO page, but most of the tweaks that make the
UMPC flavour different from the Desktop flavour (gconf settings, etc.)
are in the ubuntu-mobile-default-settings package in the intrepid
repositories.

> As for further development, I actually would like to take part in terms of
> what I can at least.
>
> Since I am not a developer, what other means can I take part in?
> I can even try looking at the code and see if I can learn something if
> someone is willing to show me the way.

Most of the "development" done in Ubuntu is essentially tweaking
configuration, creating small patches, or merging them from other
sources, and other integration effort. It's very useful to be able to
read code, but there's lots of work that can be done without writing
much code.

Consider the adjustments you find most useful, and how they might
affect others. If there's something you think is right for everyone,
propose a change in the bugtracker. If there's something that needs
adjustment only for certain hardware or use cases, see if you can find a
way to have it conditionally enabled so it only applies in that
environment, and propose that.

> Isn't ISO more supported though, and easier to modify, edit, etc.. in the
> GNU/Linux world?

Well, I'm not sure about "supported", but certainly more common.
Personally, I think a .img file is easier to modify, as you can just
loop-mount it, and don't have to remaster the ISO.

--
Emmet HIKORY

--
Ubuntu-mobile mailing list
Ubuntu-mobile@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-mobile


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:37 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.