Old 02-12-2009, 02:20 PM
John Rudd

Default Convertible Tablet Netbook

Does anyone know of, or know which, convertible tablet netbooks work
with Ubuntu UMPC? I'm looking at devices with 7" or 8.9" screens (as
my gadget bag can only barely hold a device 24cm long), such as:

CTL 2Go's new convertible tablet netbook
Kohjinsha SX3
Kohjinsha SC3
Fujitsu Lifebook U810/U820 series
Gigabyte M912 series
Vye S41
Asus EeePC T91 (waiting quite impatiently)

(or, with Netbook Remix, for that matter)

Things I'm concerned about:

1) On the Samsung Q1 Ultra (running Ubuntu UMPC 8.10), screen rotation
doesn't really work (it rotates the display, but the mouse/pointer
information is completely wrong, so your screen clicks and
joystick-mouse movements are off in lala land); this would be a
concern for me when trying to use the convertible tablet in portrait
orientation.

2) I'm also worried about, from my Raon Everun Digital Note, that wifi
may not work on whatever device I end up buying. Apparently, Raon's
wifi wasn't able to work with Ubuntu, so they ripped it out of their
ubuntu version, and make you use an external dongle. Completely
unacceptable. So I need to be sure the wifi capabilities of whatever
device I buy will be supported by Ubuntu. (probably technically off
topic, since I don't know which flavor of Ubuntu that device runs,
just that it's Ubuntu of some type (NBR? Mobile/UMPC? standard?
dunno).

3) Also on the Samsung Q1 Ultra, the VGA output is wonky. It will
only display 1024x600 (which my monitor doesn't grok) or 800x600,
which is completely inadequate. It doesn't do something sensible,
like display 1024x600 letter boxed onto my monitor's 1024x768 mode.
Having letter boxed versions of "display mirroring" would seem to be a
pretty sensible way to handle devices with odd display resolutions on
conventional displays ... I can't be the only person to have thought
of this idea ... (on the Raon, the VGA port doesn't appear to work at
all)

4) On the Q1 Ultra, lots of apps expect more Y resolution than 600
pixels...and thus their config screens run off the bottom of the
screen. Pidgin is a perfect example of this, where there are some
config options I just can't get to.

5) I don't know if this is a general ubuntu issue, or my being
relatively new to ubuntu ... but I can't figure out how to get a
static IP address working with the wifi on my Q1 Ultra. If I go fully
dynamic, it works fine. If I try to give it a static IP, then it
doesn't pick up a reasonable default route... and it's completely
unclear to me how to enter that default route, and have it actually
take effect. I can do it via a shell script, but I shouldn't need to
run a shell script every time I connect to my home wireless.

6) I've told my Ubuntu UMPC device (the Q1 Ultra), many times, not to
dim/blank the screen, ever, when I'm hooked up to AC power. It even
remembers this configuration in the settings.

7) While I am a unix sysadmin, with 15 years experience, I don't want
to be a sysadmin for my mobile gadget -- if it can't be done via
simple, stable, well supported packages ... I consider that to be "not
supported at all". I wont be doing any "rebuilding from source", so
please leave out any answers that depend upon that kind of "hobbyist"
level of activity to make it work.

Those are all things that make me a little shy about what device I'm
going to buy. I don't know how many of them are "because the hardware
is poorly supported by Ubuntu" or "because Ubuntu UMPC is not fully
baked yet (ex: I am pretty sure the screen rotation issue falls into
this category)" or "because the device itself is deficient (the Raon's
wifi situation)". I'm not willing to run Windows (in any capacity),
so I want/need a well supported linux device.