Old 01-17-2009, 11:46 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

Default Update error

Ray Parrish <crp@cmc.net> said:
> Brian McKee wrote:
> > On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 11:52 AM, Ray Parrish <crp@cmc.net> wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I ran the update process today on Hardy Heron, and after
> >> downloading I was informed that the updates were unable to
> >> complete because the "dpkg: status database area is locked by
> >> another process".
> >>
> >> Anyone know how to recover from this?
> >>

> > Sure that it's not running in another window/console somewhere?
> >
> > If you are really sure it's not running somewhere else (e.g. if you
> > reboot you will _know_ it's not running elsewhere) then you could
> > remove the lock file, but I bet you won't have to.
> >
> > Brian
> >

> I'm sure it's not running in another window ar anything, as I had
> just booted up, started my email, started the browser, then began
> updates. How do I delete the lock file, and then what do I do after
> that to complete these updates?
>
> Thanks, Ray Parrish

I'll bet that Ubuntu was automatically checking for available updates
since you had just booted your box. That would be another package
manager running and prevent completion of what you were doing manually
if it (the automatic one) started first.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Nice computers don't go down.
Larry Niven, Steven Barnes

Old 01-18-2009, 12:32 AM
Ray Parrish

Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> Ray Parrish <crp@cmc.net> said:
>
>> Brian McKee wrote:

>>> Sure that it's not running in another window/console somewhere?
>>>
>>> If you are really sure it's not running somewhere else (e.g. if you
>>> reboot you will _know_ it's not running elsewhere) then you could
>>> remove the lock file, but I bet you won't have to.
>>>
>>> Brian
>>>

>> I'm sure it's not running in another window ar anything, as I had
>> just booted up, started my email, started the browser, then began
>> updates. How do I delete the lock file, and then what do I do after
>> that to complete these updates?
>>
>> Thanks, Ray Parrish
>>

> I'll bet that Ubuntu was automatically checking for available updates
> since you had just booted your box. That would be another package
> manager running and prevent completion of what you were doing manually
> if it (the automatic one) started first.
>
> Cybe R. Wizard

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind, and forestall running Update Manager for
a while after booting up from now on, to give it a chance to complete.

Later, Ray Parrish

Trouble shooting and Fixing Windows

Old 11-09-2009, 05:58 AM
Hasan Halym

After installing Ubuntu 9.10 i keep getting following error with any update via update manager..

please help

The error is:

"GPG error: http://packages.medibuntu.org karmic Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 2EBC26B60C5A2783Failed to fetch http://apt.wicd.net/dists/Karmic/extras/binary-i386/Packages.gz* 404* Not Found

Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead."

Old 11-09-2009, 03:54 PM
NoOp

On 11/08/2009 10:58 PM, Hasan Halym wrote:
> After installing Ubuntu 9.10 i keep getting following error with any update
> via update manager..
>
> please help
>
> The error is:
>
> "GPG error: http://packages.medibuntu.org karmic Release: The following
> signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available:
> NO_PUBKEY 2EBC26B60C5A2783Failed to fetch
> http://apt.wicd.net/dists/Karmic/extras/binary-i386/Packages.gz 404 Not
> Found
> Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones
> used instead."

The apt.wicd.net problem is the capitol 'K' in Karmic. It needs to be a
lowercase 'k'. Put this into your browser:
http://apt.wicd.net/dists/karmic/extras/binary-i386/
and you'll find the binary.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:44 PM
Peter Nikolic

Hi

i have just run pacman -Syu reasonable list of updates downloaded ok
integrity check ok but then
error : (conflicting files)
filesystem: /etc/mtab exists in filesystem
initscripts: /etc/profile.d/locale.sh exists in filesystem

Cheers
Pete .

Old 01-07-2012, 01:44 PM
Jesse Juhani Jaara

http://www.archlinux.org/news/filesystem-upgrade-manual-intervention-required/

http://www.archlinux.org/news/initscripts-update-manual-intervention-required/

Old 01-07-2012, 01:46 PM
Alexandre Ferrando

Read the news at archlinux.org

Old 01-07-2012, 01:51 PM
Oon-Ee Ng

On Jan 7, 2012 10:44 PM, "Peter Nikolic" <p.nikolic1@btinternet.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> i have just run pacman -Syu reasonable list of updates downloaded ok
> integrity check ok but then
> error : (conflicting files)
> filesystem: /etc/mtab exists in filesystem
> initscripts: /etc/profile.d/locale.sh exists in filesystem
>
> Cheers
> Pete .

Check the front page announcements

Old 01-07-2012, 02:33 PM
Peter Nikolic

On Saturday 07 January 2012 14:51:31 Oon-Ee Ng wrote:
> On Jan 7, 2012 10:44 PM, "Peter Nikolic" <p.nikolic1@btinternet.com> wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > i have just run pacman -Syu reasonable list of updates downloaded ok
> > integrity check ok but then
> >
> > error : (conflicting files)
> >
> > filesystem: /etc/mtab exists in filesystem
> > initscripts: /etc/profile.d/locale.sh exists in filesystem
> >
> > Cheers
> > Pete .
>
> Check the front page announcements

Yep thanks folks got it sorted not had to hack this hard for ages so it is
going to be a RE learning slope for a wee while , Bear with me i will get there

I have just found one more that i cant find a way round , Just went to correct
the timezone from Europe/Gurnsey to the correct Europe/London but it will not
let me sac=ve the changes and does not ask for root password or anything ..

Pete .

Pete .

Old 01-07-2012, 02:48 PM
Peter Lewis

Hi Pete,

Welcome to Arch.

On Saturday 07 Jan 2012 15:33:41 Peter Nikolic wrote:
> I have just found one more that i cant find a way round , Just went to
> correct the timezone from Europe/Gurnsey to the correct Europe/London
> but it will not let me sac=ve the changes and does not ask for root
> password or anything ..

I presume you're editing /etc/rc.conf, right? If so, you'll have to become
root first in order to edit it. FWIW, I think you'll probably get a little
more help from people if you can be a bit more specific with exactly what
you're doing. E.g. "it will not me save the changes" doesn't tell us much.

Nice to see another UK Arch user!

Pete.