-   Ubuntu Mobile and Embedded (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-mobile-embedded/)
-   -   Ubuntu Mobile on a Car PC (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-mobile-embedded/214491-ubuntu-mobile-car-pc.html)

"Lachlan Heywood" 12-18-2008 08:06 PM

Ubuntu Mobile on a Car PC

Hi guys,

I've been reading this mailing list for about 12 months and never bothered to ask the question the originally prompted me to sign up.

The first news of Ubuntu Mobile, Moblin, Hildon and all the rest got me excited about the uses for my car pc... I currently have windows installed on it but it just doesn't have the love and sex appeal that comes with anything open source.

I installed 7.10, downloaded the ubuntu mobile packages and got a partially functioning test system working but I couldn't get the main UI to be hildon on boot.

What would be freakin amazing is if I could have a standard version of Ubuntu running on the main laptop screen (which is folded up under the back seat) and the Hildon UI running on the 7" touchscreen which sits up front with the driver of the car.

Is this possible?
Lachlan Heywood

Jeff 12-18-2008 10:45 PM

Ubuntu Mobile on a Car PC

I don't really understand your question,*
Are you saying that you want to have your*entire*Car PC running on your*laptop*but you want two*separate*screens (laptop*and Dash monitor). Dash running hildon and*laptop*screen running standard*Ubuntu.*

The only way I see this being possible would be a VM. Probably Ub mobile on the VM.

Lachlan Heywood 12-18-2008 10:55 PM

Ubuntu Mobile on a Car PC

Yeh that's pretty much it. I saw a way of running hildon in a separate window once... Some kind of testing environment maybe?

Regards,Lachlan Heywood[iPhone email]

"Lachlan Heywood" 12-18-2008 11:54 PM

Ubuntu Mobile on a Car PC

This is what i was referring to:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MobileTeam/Mobile/HowTo/HildonDesktopGutsyManualProcedure

Using Xephyr to diplay nested X sessions.* I think i need to do a bit more research on Xephyr... can anyone talk from experience running Xephyr on a second display?

"Jason Pimble" 12-19-2008 12:27 AM

Ubuntu Mobile on a Car PC

If you want the front display and the rear display to have seperate input
methods (seperate touchscreen/keyboard/mouse for front display and rear
display), you might want to do a multi-seat X setup instead of nesting
Xephyr and pegging it to one display. There is more information about
this here:

http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/3442/