-   Ubuntu Mobile and Embedded (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-mobile-embedded/)
-   -   ubuntu-umpc mirroring (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-mobile-embedded/186866-ubuntu-umpc-mirroring.html)

hito 11-03-2008 12:45 PM

ubuntu-umpc mirroring

Hi lists,

I'm administrator of some ubuntu mirror servers in Japan[*1].
One day, I want to mirroring ubntu-umpc images for these servers.

But http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-umpc/ does not provide
rsync protocols. So, Im worried about manual operations...

Must I wget-mirroring? Anyone know a right method?

Regards,

[*1]
http://ubuntutym.u-toyama.ac.jp/
http://ubuntutym2.u-toyama.ac.jp/
http://ubuntu-ashisuto.ubuntulinux.jp/

Loc Minier 11-03-2008 02:43 PM

ubuntu-umpc mirroring

On Mon, Nov 03, 2008, hito wrote:
> But http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-umpc/ does not provide
> rsync protocols. So, Im worried about manual operations...
>
> Must I wget-mirroring? Anyone know a right method?

Rsync works for me on this URL; make sure you use the cdimage component
though: cdimage/ubuntu-umpc/intrepid/current/ubuntu-umpc.img

--
Loc Minier

Oliver Grawert 11-03-2008 03:14 PM

ubuntu-umpc mirroring

hi,
Am Montag, den 03.11.2008, 16:43 +0100 schrieb Loc Minier:
> On Mon, Nov 03, 2008, hito wrote:
> > But http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-umpc/ does not provide
> > rsync protocols. So, Im worried about manual operations...
> >
> > Must I wget-mirroring? Anyone know a right method?
>
> Rsync works for me on this URL; make sure you use the cdimage component
> though: cdimage/ubuntu-umpc/intrepid/current/ubuntu-umpc.img
thats not the released image though,
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/intrepid/release/ubuntu-8.10-umpc-i386.img
is the right one ...

ciao
oli

hito 11-03-2008 03:32 PM

ubuntu-umpc mirroring

hi,

>> Rsync works for me on this URL; make sure you use the cdimage component
>> though: cdimage/ubuntu-umpc/intrepid/current/ubuntu-umpc.img
> thats not the released image though,
> http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/intrepid/release/ubuntu-8.10-umpc-i386.img
> is the right one ...

Thanks Loc, Oliver.
I can get with "rsync://cdimage.ubuntu.com/cdimage/releases/".

John Rudd 11-05-2008 11:04 AM

ubuntu-umpc mirroring

Oliver Grawert wrote:
> hi,
> Am Montag, den 03.11.2008, 16:43 +0100 schrieb Loc Minier:
>> On Mon, Nov 03, 2008, hito wrote:
>>> But http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-umpc/ does not provide
>>> rsync protocols. So, Im worried about manual operations...
>>>
>>> Must I wget-mirroring? Anyone know a right method?
>> Rsync works for me on this URL; make sure you use the cdimage component
>> though: cdimage/ubuntu-umpc/intrepid/current/ubuntu-umpc.img
> thats not the released image though,
> http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/intrepid/release/ubuntu-8.10-umpc-i386.img
> is the right one ...

As far as I can tell, they're the same image.

Not that that helps any. Neither one works for me.

I dd'ed it onto an SD card, using the arguments given in the
instructions (with the correct path and device name). I could even read
it on the ubuntu laptop I have. But when I put it into my Samsung Q1
Ultra _Premium_, with the bios set to boot to the USB stick before the
hard drive, it just loops back and forth:

1) Show the BIOS screen
2) blank the screen like it's going to try to boot up
3) light up the USB stick's LED
4) Dim the USB stick's LED
5) Go to #1

The quirks of my set up:

* It's a USB SD card reader, with a microSDHC card stuck into a micro-SD
to SD card adapter. I assumed that'd look just like a USB stick -- am I
wrong? If I need to get a "real USB stick", what kind do I need to look
for?

* It's an Ultra Premium, not an Ultra. Someone on this list had
previously said that shouldn't matter ... but, just in case, I'm
pointing it out again.

* I made no other efforts to prepare the card, pre-dd'ing it, nor
post-dd'ing it. Did I miss or skip a step? What are the full steps
required? Do I need to fully format it, then mkfs it, and then dd it?
Do I need to follow up with some command to make it bootable? (I'm a
unix sysadmin, but not a linux sysadmin (mostly solaris, BSD, and OS X,
and a smattering of lots of other actual unix platforms, but very little
hard core linux stuff), so when it gets down to this level of issue,
where things don't "just work", I need a little bit of instruction) (If
I do need more steps, those commands should have been in the
instructions... )