Old 11-03-2008, 11:53 AM
Peter Antoniac

Default RPMs to DEBs for Moblin2? Anyone?

On Friday 31 October 2008 07:16:49 Mitsutaka Amano wrote:
> moblin 2.0 rpm packages are defined i586 architecture.
> moblin 1.0 used the lpia architecture.
>
> Why did it change to i586 from it?

Somehow related to the RPM thing and LPIA. There are some facts:
1. we know that Ubuntu/Canonical has been doing a great job in the past to get
the lpia packages in moblin1
2. We also know that moblin2 is not going to be a full distro and that there
are other OSVs that will do this job (afaik, Ubuntu is one of them, the rest
are not so clear or transparent)

My question is therefore, how hard is to provide those RPMs also in DEB format
so it will be easier for debian based platforms to use the new Moblin2
framework? It will be nice to also provide the debian packages at a very low
cost and almost no resources allocation from Intel. All you need to do is, for
example, use the launchpad PPA for this job, so when an Intel developer pushes
something to the moblin2 repos to also dput the thing to launchpad. This way
you don't even need to bother with creating a new build environment and it
uses LPIA architecture by default.

I am just thinking that we had in Moblin1 a set of applications and libraries
and now, with the RPM, we have a dropped that number and forced people to
change environments, not to mention the i586 architecture, library issues and
generally I feel like this whole thing is a step back in time when Moblin1 was
started...

Cheers,
Peter
--
Peter Antoniac, PhD
https://launchpad.net/~theseinfeld

BOFH excuse #248:

Too much radiation coming from the soil.