Old 10-18-2008, 10:38 PM
David Boxall

Default Arima UM650

On 16/08/2008 at 1:06 PM Emmet Hikory wrote:
> David Boxall wrote:
>> What would be the difficulties in getting Ubuntu MID running on, for
>> example, the Arima UM650:
>> <http://www.pioneercomputers.com.au/products/info.asp?c1=3&c2=108&id=2191>
>> (here rebadged by Pioneer Computers)? Is it too much for a mere mortal
>> like me to contemplate? Declaration of interest: I own a UM650 that
>> runs Windows XP like a dog and I've never managed to get GPS to work.
>
> For the most part, getting it to work on other hardware is just a
> matter of getting the right kernel working. I believe the
> linux-lpiacompat kernel ought to work on i586+ machines, although I've
> not heard from anyone whether it actually works on anything not i686
> compatible. The C7-M is one of the processors for which testing has
> been light, but is of some interest as it has been deployed in a wide
> number of devices.
>
> Please try, and share your results (you'll want to back up the
> device first, of course).

I've finally managed to download an image (dated 18/10/2008) and try it
on my device. The kernel seemed OK, but X failed to load:

(EE) Failed to load module "openchrome" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) No drivers available.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

Being Via based, the device uses S3 UniChrome graphics on a CX700 North
Bridge. My ignorance defeated attempts to create an image myself.

In the interim, I tried a Ubuntu desktop install. That worked, sort of:
- the screen wouldn't run at the full 800 by 480;
- the eGalax USB touch screen wasn't recognised and
- the Nemerix N-GPS USB (CP210x UART bridge) module wasn't detected, but
- everything else seemed OK, including the Synaptics PS/2 touchpad.

--
David Boxall | "Cheer up" they said.

Old 10-19-2008, 01:31 PM
Loc Minier

On Sun, Oct 19, 2008, David Boxall wrote:
> I've finally managed to download an image (dated 18/10/2008) and try it
> on my device. The kernel seemed OK, but X failed to load:
> (EE) Failed to load module "openchrome" (module does not exist, 0)

Yup, we currently miss the openchrome driver for lpia; last week, I
managed to build it on lpia, but it needs intervention of an
administrator of the P-a-s database: the Packages-arch-specific db
lists which packages to build on which architectures.

In the mean time, you can try building the openchrome source yourself
for lpia; "apt-get source -b xserver-xorg-video-openchrome" should do
the trick from a lpia system.

> In the interim, I tried a Ubuntu desktop install. That worked, sort of:
> - the screen wouldn't run at the full 800 by 480;
> - the eGalax USB touch screen wasn't recognised and
> - the Nemerix N-GPS USB (CP210x UART bridge) module wasn't detected, but
> - everything else seemed OK, including the Synaptics PS/2 touchpad.

(It will the same on Ubuntu MID.)

--
Loc Minier