Old 10-09-2008, 01:50 PM
Turgut Durduran

Default More feedback on Ubuntu-Mobile

Hello,

Since my initial posts, I have used Ubuntu-Mobile edition more on my Samsung Q1-Ultra. Here are few observations and bugs to report (and I hope some solutions can be found for the bugs);

**BUGS**

- xournal:
"wiggly", some type of a resolution issue (mid edition worked fine) I think. The lines appear as "steps". I fiddled around with various options (XInput, Corevents etc) but I can't get this resolved.

- fstab:

need to remove /dev/sdb entry about CDROM, messes USB stick etc usage. The default behavior should not have that like as far as I can tell. Removal is a FIX.

- suspend/hibernate:

It does not work out of the box but one needs to get rid of "uswsusp" package, do "apt-get remove uswsusp ". Default behavior should not have it??

- cell-writer/on-screen keyboard:

Takes up whole top screen. should push the window down (looks like the option for that is checked) rather than going over other windows. In early MID editions that was the behavior.

Also does not fit the screen, numerical pad and cursors are cut on the right.

I can't move it around so I can see what is being typed.

It does not get invoked in "handwriting recognition" mode ever. I can't tell why.

- joystick vs mouse:

It switches between joystick/mouse but does not work as expected. I can't use arrows around the enter key as cursors or scrolling up/down while viewing GUIs. With mid edition, I was able to use those
buttons to scroll LR/UD on documents and as cursors in terminal window. This is big usability hazard for me since I use this device for reviewing PDF documents.

- window resizing, moving etc

UDF button maximizes windows and there appears to be other undocumented features. I can't view two windows simultaneously since I can't seem to be able to resize them. by accident, I pressed something and succeded in that once. Would love to know what the various ways of resizing, moving are. Willing to enter this into the wiki.

- VGA output:

Does not appear to recognize it properly. If GNOME is already up, changing display settings, selecting "mirror" or such does not anything. If I restart GNOME (CTRL-ALT backspace) or reboot while hooked up, I end up with a blank screen on the device and no-output on the screen. I tried with a projector and an external LCD screen. Before I go into changing Xorg.conf settings, I wonder if there are known fixes/changes one should do. I like to use this device as a teaching aid for PDF presentations and while drawing on-screen. Ideally, it would be good to see this mapped to "menu" key or some such so one could shuffle between device only, external only, device + external views like a regular laptop.

**SUGGESTIONS:**

- Software to include:

qalculate (in a science package)
onefinger

- Calibration of screen:

Make it more visible. I would say it should be a default question after first install. I had to navigate menus to find it to calibrate the screen.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:38 PM
Oliver Grawert

hi,
Am Donnerstag, den 09.10.2008, 06:50 -0700 schrieb Turgut Durduran:

> **BUGS**
>
> - xournal:
> "wiggly", some type of a resolution issue (mid edition worked fine) I think. The lines appear as "steps". I fiddled around with various options (XInput, Corevents etc) but I can't get this resolved.
thats a calibration issue, you can look for your touchscreens .fdi file and set the movelimit variable to a lower value
the files are located in /etc/hal/fdi/policy/
(i didnt have much time to make that work and the evtouch calibration
tool is unmaintained since years, for jaunty i plan to make touchscreen
support for all touchscreens rock, atm i'm happy it works at all and
supports a bunch of touchscreens)

> - fstab:
>
> need to remove /dev/sdb entry about CDROM, messes USB stick etc usage. The default behavior should not have that like as far as I can tell. Removal is a FIX.
the installer team is aware of this one and plans to fix that before final release (it shows up in other situations as well, not limited to mobile)

> - suspend/hibernate:
>
> It does not work out of the box but one needs to get rid of "uswsusp" package, do "apt-get remove uswsusp ". Default behavior should not have it??
same as above, its known, uswsusp will be removed from the archive before final release

> - cell-writer/on-screen keyboard:
>
> Takes up whole top screen. should push the window down (looks like the option for that is checked) rather than going over other windows. In early MID editions that was the behavior.
>
> Also does not fit the screen, numerical pad and cursors are cut on the right.
>
> I can't move it around so I can see what is being typed.
>
> It does not get invoked in "handwriting recognition" mode ever. I can't tell why.
because it is written to default to handwriting if not forced into
keyboard mode, you can go to System->Settings-Sessions and change the
options cellwriter is started with.

> - joystick vs mouse:
>
> It switches between joystick/mouse but does not work as expected. I can't use arrows around the enter key as cursors or scrolling up/down while viewing GUIs. With mid edition, I was able to use those
> buttons to scroll LR/UD on documents and as cursors in terminal window. This is big usability hazard for me since I use this device for reviewing PDF documents.
strange, since MID and Mobile both use hal now with the exactly
same .fdi file, which daily image did you use ? there was one bug for
two days where through a mis merge the Q1 settings moved into the
toshiba section, so didnt work at all ... this issue should e fixed now.

> - window resizing, moving etc
>
> UDF button maximizes windows and there appears to be other undocumented features. I can't view two windows simultaneously since I can't seem to be able to resize them. by accident, I pressed something and succeded in that once. Would love to know what the various ways of resizing, moving are. Willing to enter this into the wiki.
there are currently no ways of moving or resizing, windows are
undecorated and maximized by default, for jaunty i hope to improve that
a bit.

> - VGA output:
>
> Does not appear to recognize it properly. If GNOME is already up, changing display settings, selecting "mirror" or such does not anything. If I restart GNOME (CTRL-ALT backspace) or reboot while hooked up, I end up with a blank screen on the device and no-output on the screen. I tried with a projector and an external LCD screen. Before I go into changing Xorg.conf settings, I wonder if there are known fixes/changes one should do. I like to use this device as a teaching aid for PDF presentations and while drawing on-screen. Ideally, it would be good to see this mapped to "menu" key or some such so one could shuffle between device only, external only, device + external views like a regular laptop.
menu is currently mapped to the kernel menu event (which might do
nothing atm) i'll keep that as suggestion for jaunty ...
the external display should work through the screen properties though,
are you sure your external display supports the resolution ?
if you are, that might be a bug worth to file against xserver-xorg.

> **SUGGESTIONS:**
>
> - Software to include:
>
> qalculate (in a science package)
> onefinger
i will look at both for jaunty

> - Calibration of screen:
>
> Make it more visible. I would say it should be a default question after first install. I had to navigate menus to find it to calibrate the screen.

see my explanation above ... for jaunty i'm starting to work closely
with one Xorg maintainer who tries to make touchscreens work with the
evdev driver and also has written a cairo based calibration tool, i hope
to include all this into the 9.04 release, so all touchscreens should
work and have a shiny calibration tool, no matter what HW you use.

thanks for the nice feedback

ciao
oli

Old 10-09-2008, 08:07 PM
Turgut Durduran

Hi Oliver,

Thanks for your replies. That solves most of my problems. Few questions/comments interdispersed below.
(also, congratulations on this effort, this is a wonderful system)

> > - joystick vs mouse:
> >
> > It switches between joystick/mouse but does not work as expected. I can't use
> arrows around the enter key as cursors or scrolling up/down while viewing GUIs.
> With mid edition, I was able to use those
> > buttons to scroll LR/UD on documents and as cursors in terminal window. This
> is big usability hazard for me since I use this device for reviewing PDF
> documents.
> strange, since MID and Mobile both use hal now with the exactly
> same .fdi file, which daily image did you use ? there was one bug for
> two days where through a mis merge the Q1 settings moved into the
> toshiba section, so didnt work at all ... this issue should e fixed now.

I used one from 10/06/08. I just did a system upgrade (and got a minor bug to report ) but it did not fix this behavior. The upgrades *do* get updated to the latest image's quality, don't they?

This is still a major irritation for my set-up.

-- The upgraded window. In order to debug what is doing on, I had to look at the terminal output. The terminal out extends beyond the screen and therefore I can not follow the latest things it did. It froze at some point and I am not sure if that was a major problem or it hanged because of upgrading something that conflicted.

> menu is currently mapped to the kernel menu event (which might do
> nothing atm) i'll keep that as suggestion for jaunty ...
> the external display should work through the screen properties though,
> are you sure your external display supports the resolution ?
> if you are, that might be a bug worth to file against xserver-xorg.

I will check and get back to you. It sounds like a xorg issue to me as well.

BTW, I saw the demo about the screen calibration software you had on your blog. The idea looks nice. Let us know if anything we can provide about our devices can be helpful.

Thanks again for great work and keeping up with all these questions.

Turgut

Old 10-09-2008, 09:44 PM
"Jason Pimble"

Turgut,

I think the issue you have with the arrow keys not acting like arrows on
the Q1U is because they are mapped as up = F1, down = F3, right = F10,
left = F9. One way you can change this is by editing:

/usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/30-keymap-misc.fdi

and changing the definitions (just look for "Samsung Q1 Ultra", and the
key mappings are right below that text. replace "f10" with "right", "f1"
with "up", "f3" with "down", "f9" with left. But the changes will be lost
the next time hal-info is updated.

Another way to change the key mappings is to just run a script (as root)
that does this:

sudo setkeycodes e056 108
sudo setkeycodes e057 105
sudo setkeycodes e058 103
sudo setkeycodes e059 106

The nice thing about this approach is that you can make scripts that
change the keys to whatever you want, and just select the one that is
right for the situation (map left/right to page up/down in some cases,
regular arrows for editing/terminal work, and to A/S in another for
gaming). Maybe there is already a tool to do this for you.

Or maybe you can do this using a custom keymap, that would be nice if
possible because then you can leverage existing applications to do the
switching between layouts.

I am not very good with the whole scancode/key code/X keyboard mapping
thing, most of my keyboard knowledge is from coding in DOS (scan codes for
everything), or SDL. Hopefully someone who is knowledgeable will be able
to point you to the correct answer, but I know the either the .fdi update
or the setkeycodes solution will work, since I have already used them both
on the Q1U.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:44 PM
"Jason Pimble"

Oh, another Q1U key mapping change you can make is to map the "Menu"
button to F4. F4 opens the Hildon menu in the Midbrowser (found by
spelunking in the Midbrowser source, but it looks like it works in other
Hildon apps, I tested it in tasks-hildon), useful for getting to bookmarks
and stuff. Optionally you can just hit F4 on the virtual keyboard instead
of mapping a key for it. The drawback of changing the mapping of the Menu
button is that it is by default mapped to the regular menu event (which
brings up the right click menu in GNOME apps), so you lose that.

If you want to map the Menu button to F4, you can again edit the .fdi, or
run this command:

sudo setkeycodes e054 62

Is there a place in the wiki, or some other online location, that quirks
like this could be documented on a per-device basis? It would be nice to
have something that describes what features work (touchscreen, wifi,
audio, etc) on different devices (and device versions), and also be able
to give tips on what changes can be made to suit the install for the
particular devices (button mappings, turning on the hide buttons for the
left panel to get the full screen width back, hitting F11 to toggle full
screen apps, etc). I would be happy to maintain it for the Q1U-EL, and
any other devices I can get my hands on.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:23 AM
Oliver Grawert

hi,
Am Donnerstag, den 09.10.2008, 18:44 -0400 schrieb Jason Pimble:
> Is there a place in the wiki, or some other online location, that quirks
> like this could be documented on a per-device basis? It would be nice to
> have something that describes what features work (touchscreen, wifi,
> audio, etc) on different devices (and device versions), and also be able
> to give tips on what changes can be made to suit the install for the
> particular devices (button mappings, turning on the hide buttons for the
> left panel to get the full screen width back, hitting F11 to toggle full
> screen apps, etc). I would be happy to maintain it for the Q1U-EL, and
> any other devices I can get my hands on.

We have a howto section in the mobile team area for this, feel free to
add a keymapping section:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MobileTeam/Mobile/HowTo/

i would recommend to just create a new .fdi file in /etc/hal/fdi/policy
for this though. if you make direct changes to the shipped fdi file
which is owned by the hal-info package these changes will be overwritten
by a package upgrade. Files in /etc/hal/fdi/policy are supposed to be
used by the system admin to override package shipped defaults and wont
be touched by any package upgrades.

ciao
oli

Old 10-10-2008, 10:50 PM
Turgut Durduran

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the tips.

> I think the issue you have with the arrow keys not acting like arrows on
> the Q1U is because they are mapped as up = F1, down = F3, right = F10,
> left = F9. One way you can change this is by editing:
>
> /usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/30-keymap-misc.fdi

I was gonna do this but decided to try to create my own as Oliver suggested but now I realize I still do not understand how hal behaves. I created a new file where Oliver suggested but I think the original location
/usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/30-keymap-misc.fdi is overwriting it. I include that file below.

> Another way to change the key mappings is to just run a script (as root)
> that does this:
>
> sudo setkeycodes e056 108
> sudo setkeycodes e057 105
> sudo setkeycodes e058 103
> sudo setkeycodes e059 106

This does the job for me too and the scripting idea is interesting.

Out of curiosity, how does one know the "e056" type of information and the associated numbers? I know of "xev" but the numbers that it returns do no match those you list. Neither do they seem to match the standard codes for "up arrow" and such. Please excuse my ignorance

Thanks for your suggestions!

Turgut

/etc/hal/fdi/policy/99-turgutsamsungQ1Ultrakeys.fdi

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?> <!-- -*- SGML -*- -->

<deviceinfo version="0.2">
<device>
<!-- Samsung Q1 Ultra -->
<match key="/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer:system.hardware.product" string="SQ1US">
<append key="input.keymap.data" type="strlist">e054:menu</append> <!-- Menu: mute -->
<append key="input.keymap.data" type="strlist">e058:103</append> <!-- Up arrow: mute -->
<append key="input.keymap.data" type="strlist">e059:106</append> <!-- Right arrow: mute -->
<append key="input.keymap.data" type="strlist">e056:108</append> <!-- Down arrow: mute -->
<append key="input.keymap.data" type="strlist">e057:105</append> <!-- Left arrow: mute -->
<append key="input.keymap.data" type="strlist">e064:f5</append> <!-- Shutter key: mute -->
<append key="input.keymap.data" type="strlist">e06e:f11</append> <!-- UDF key: mute -->
<append key="info.capabilities" type="strlist">input.keymap</append>
</match>
</match>

</device>
</deviceinfo>

Old 10-12-2008, 02:43 AM
"Jason Pimble"

> I was gonna do this but decided to try to create my own as Oliver
> suggested but now I realize I still do not understand how hal behaves. I
> created a new file where Oliver suggested but I think the original
> location
> /usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/30-keymap-misc.fdi is
> overwriting it. I include that file below.

It looks like you had the right general idea, but you had a mistake in
your XML file: you were didn't include the match for the vendor, but you
did have a closing </match> for it, which caused the XML to not parse. A
corrected version of the XML is below. I also changed the key codes from
106, 108, etc to the more human readable right, down, etc.

> Out of curiosity, how does one know the "e056" type of information and
> the associated numbers? I know of "xev" but the numbers that it returns do
> no match those you list. Neither do they seem to match the standard codes
> for "up arrow" and such. Please excuse my ignorance

The e056 is the key scan code. If the kernel doesn't understand a scan
code, it logs a message that you can see in dmesg saying so and tells you
the code. If you have a device that has a button that isn't doing
anything, you can take a peek in dmesg and see if the scan code is not
being recognized, then map it setkeycodes, or through hal-info now.
Alternatively you can use showkey to display the scan codes as you press
keys, but I don't think this works under X. As for the 106, 108, etc (key
codes) , those are defined in /usr/include/linux/input.h, or someone has
made a web page of most of the keys here:
http://www.comptechdoc.org/os/linux/howlinuxworks/linux_hlkeycodes.html

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?> <!-- -*- SGML -*- -->

<deviceinfo version="0.2">
<device>

<match
key="/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer:system.hardware.vendor"
prefix_ncase="samsung">
<!-- Samsung Q1 Ultra -->
<match
key="/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer:system.hardware.product"
string="SQ1US">
<append key="input.keymap.data"
type="strlist">e054:menu</append> <!-- Menu: mute -->
<append key="input.keymap.data" type="strlist">e058:up</append>
<!-- Up arrow: mute -->
<append key="input.keymap.data"
type="strlist">e059:right</append> <!-- Right arrow: mute -->
<append key="input.keymap.data"
type="strlist">e056:down</append> <!-- Down arrow: mute -->
<append key="input.keymap.data"
type="strlist">e057:left</append> <!-- Left arrow: mute -->