Old 10-06-2008, 10:15 PM
John Rudd

Default New to Ubuntu and Ubuntu-Mobile

So, while I have _some_ background with Linux, and a ton of background
with Unix, I'm new to Ubuntu, and even more new to Ubuntu-Mobile. But I
saw a review of it on UMPC Portal running on a Samsung Q1 Ultra
(800Mhz). I liked it so much I went out and bought a Samsung Q1 Ultra
_Premium_ (1.3GHz) on ebay. (it should get here late this week)

My hope/plan is to install Ubuntu Mobile directly on the Hard Drive (via
the USB stick, I assume), and use Ubuntu as my primary OS. But I have a
ton of questions, so hopefully this is the right place to ask them, and
I wont annoy all of you.

First, I didn't realize until after I bought it that the Premium isn't
just a faster chip, but a slightly different CPU ... is that going to be
a problem? (does anyone know?)

Second, while I saw a post over at UMPC Portal about how to install from
the stick to the hard drive, I am curious about how updates will be
done. My ancient laptop that I installed Ubuntu upon for basic testing
notifies me of updates, and asks me when I want to install them. Does
Ubuntu Mobile install from its own separate repository? Or the same
one? If the same one, does it keep track of conflicts, so that I don't
have to worry about "oh, that update might make my UMPC stop working!"?
And, will the Ubuntu Mobile mods make it into the main-line Ubuntu OS
distributions, or will it always be "that other code base" type thing?

Third, does anyone know which, if either, of the Premium's cameras work?
I actually don't care much about the chat cam, but the photo cam might
be nice to have working.

Fourth, what USB 3G modems are known to work? I'm currently leaning
toward AT&T's 3G USB modems (or an express card in a USB adaptor, not sure).

Last, I'm not just wanting to 'take' here. I'm not a linux expert, not
a kernel hacker, not even really a GUI programmer. I'm mostly a
professional sysadmin. But I'll help in whatever way I can. What can I
provide? Are there any diagnostics you'd like me to run on that system
to give you feedback about how it is or isn't performing?

Thanks,

John

Old 10-07-2008, 08:26 AM
Loc Minier

On Mon, Oct 06, 2008, John Rudd wrote:
> First, I didn't realize until after I bought it that the Premium isn't
> just a faster chip, but a slightly different CPU ... is that going to be
> a problem? (does anyone know?)

Concerning the CPU itself, likely no problem.

> Second, while I saw a post over at UMPC Portal about how to install from
> the stick to the hard drive, I am curious about how updates will be
> done. My ancient laptop that I installed Ubuntu upon for basic testing
> notifies me of updates, and asks me when I want to install them. Does
> Ubuntu Mobile install from its own separate repository? Or the same
> one? If the same one, does it keep track of conflicts, so that I don't
> have to worry about "oh, that update might make my UMPC stop working!"?
> And, will the Ubuntu Mobile mods make it into the main-line Ubuntu OS
> distributions, or will it always be "that other code base" type thing?

Ubuntu Mobile is now built from the Ubuntu repositories, and only that. It was using custom repositories up to the hardy (8.04) series.

> Third, does anyone know which, if either, of the Premium's cameras work?

In our experience, the webcam does not work, even in 2.6.27; it's
likely it's very similar to existing cameras, but we'd need some kernel
love to get it to work. Same for the atheros wifi chip.

> Fourth, what USB 3G modems are known to work? I'm currently leaning
> toward AT&T's 3G USB modems (or an express card in a USB adaptor, not sure).

Support for 3G modems and providers is a particular focus of
NetworkManager in intrepid (8.10); hopefully it should just work, but
if it doesn't file a bug and perhaps we can add your device to the db.

> What can I
> provide? Are there any diagnostics you'd like me to run on that system
> to give you feedback about how it is or isn't performing?

Perhaps a way to help would be starting a page about the Q1 Premium on
the Ubuntu wiki and listing its specs and hardware support status in
Ubuntu? If some hardware isn't properly supported, check for existing
bugs or file new ones and link them from the wiki page.

Cheers,
--
Loc Minier

Old 10-07-2008, 09:11 AM
Loc Minier

On Tue, Oct 07, 2008, Javier Glvez Guerrero wrote:
> > In our experience, the webcam does not work, even in 2.6.27; it's
> > likely it's very similar to existing cameras, but we'd need some kernel
> > love to get it to work. Same for the atheros wifi chip.
> I've tried Ubuntu Mobile on a Samsung Q1 (non Ultra) with an Atheros wifi
> module and it seemed to work. Wasn't it supposed to do it? Which are the
> problems with it? AFAIK, Madwifi drivers are added in Ubuntu Mobile images.

There are two drivers for these particular atheros chips in intrepid:
ath5k and madwifi; ath5k was claiming to support the Q1U's chip, but
sadly wasn't working. madwifi is only available for i386 and should
just work; we're preparing a lpia version of madwifi for the mid
flavor.

Nowadays, wifi should work in i386 images (mobile) and not in lpia
images (mid).

Ideally, we'd fix ath5k and replace madwifi completely with it.

--
Loc Minier

Tue Oct 7 12:30:01 2008