FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu Mobile and Embedded

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 10-06-2008, 03:00 PM
Piotr Kempa
 
Default (maybe not very wise) question about poulsbo chipset

Is the poulsbo kernel driver included in the standard (lpia I believe)
kernel for ubuntu-mid and ubuntu-mobile?
I'm trying to boot the ubuntu-mobile testing image but the xorg psb
driver fails to load the kernel psb driver and complains. Now I believe
I need both to work, is that true? xorg-psb driver has been around for
quite some time but I can't find any information about the kernel driver.

Thanks for your help.
Piotr


--
Ubuntu-mobile mailing list
Ubuntu-mobile@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-mobile
 
Old 10-06-2008, 07:50 PM
Loc Minier
 
Default (maybe not very wise) question about poulsbo chipset

Hi

On Mon, Oct 06, 2008, Piotr Kempa wrote:
> Is the poulsbo kernel driver included in the standard (lpia I believe)
> kernel for ubuntu-mid and ubuntu-mobile?

Unfortunately, not in intrepid; it was in included in the Ubuntu MID
image for hardy, but the poulsbo (psb) drivers weren't ported to the
2.6.26/.27 kernels. There's close to no hope of getting them in before
intrepid as it would still mean kernel work, libdrm patches which we
don't quite know how to handle without destroying support for the other
drivers, and a xserver-xorg-video-psb update.

If we get drivers from upstream after the intrepid release, it's
unlikely we will be able to add them to intrepid, so it's not clear
whether these will ever be supported in intrepid.

We hope the drivers will make it in the jaunty development lifecycle,
or simply in the upstream kernel.

> I'm trying to boot the ubuntu-mobile testing image but the xorg psb
> driver fails to load the kernel psb driver and complains. Now I believe
> I need both to work, is that true? xorg-psb driver has been around for
> quite some time but I can't find any information about the kernel driver.

Right, we need to disable xorg's support for psb; the driver's package
is already removed from the dailies.

What should work though is vesa; failsafe xorg should offer vesa to you
as a fallback.

Bye,
--
Loc Minier

--
Ubuntu-mobile mailing list
Ubuntu-mobile@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-mobile
 
Old 10-07-2008, 08:37 AM
Piotr Kempa
 
Default (maybe not very wise) question about poulsbo chipset

Thank you for the explanation. Let's hope this will make it to Jaunty
then. Vesa works fine, it's just that our company is designing a MID and
we're betting a bit on PSB codec acceleration and 3d capabilities (for
compiz). We'd really like to sell the device with a sweet eye candy user
interface, Ubuntu based. And leverage the HW acceleration of 3d and
movie codeds as a good selling point for Linux too.

But, since we will not be releasing the device before April, I hope we
can still make it with Jaunty, so there is still hope.

One more question - if I would install a 2.6.24 kernel from Hardy in
Intrepid, do you think there is a chance of getting the psb kernel
driver working with the current xserver-xorg-video-psb?

Thanks again,
Piotr

Loc Minier wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Mon, Oct 06, 2008, Piotr Kempa wrote:
>> Is the poulsbo kernel driver included in the standard (lpia I believe)
>> kernel for ubuntu-mid and ubuntu-mobile?
>
> Unfortunately, not in intrepid; it was in included in the Ubuntu MID
> image for hardy, but the poulsbo (psb) drivers weren't ported to the
> 2.6.26/.27 kernels. There's close to no hope of getting them in before
> intrepid as it would still mean kernel work, libdrm patches which we
> don't quite know how to handle without destroying support for the other
> drivers, and a xserver-xorg-video-psb update.
>
> If we get drivers from upstream after the intrepid release, it's
> unlikely we will be able to add them to intrepid, so it's not clear
> whether these will ever be supported in intrepid.
>
> We hope the drivers will make it in the jaunty development lifecycle,
> or simply in the upstream kernel.
>
>> I'm trying to boot the ubuntu-mobile testing image but the xorg psb
>> driver fails to load the kernel psb driver and complains. Now I believe
>> I need both to work, is that true? xorg-psb driver has been around for
>> quite some time but I can't find any information about the kernel driver.
>
> Right, we need to disable xorg's support for psb; the driver's package
> is already removed from the dailies.
>
> What should work though is vesa; failsafe xorg should offer vesa to you
> as a fallback.
>
> Bye,

--
Ubuntu-mobile mailing list
Ubuntu-mobile@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-mobile
 
Old 10-07-2008, 09:06 AM
Loc Minier
 
Default (maybe not very wise) question about poulsbo chipset

On Tue, Oct 07, 2008, Piotr Kempa wrote:
> One more question - if I would install a 2.6.24 kernel from Hardy in
> Intrepid, do you think there is a chance of getting the psb kernel
> driver working with the current xserver-xorg-video-psb?

Don't know what's exactly involved in using 2.6.24 in intrepid, but the
hardy kernel and psb bits were tested and working okay-ish (to the best
of what the psb drivers allow); including 3D and codecs acceleration.

These bits are in archive.mobile.ubuntu.com which is built from hardy +
ubuntu-mobile ppa.

--
Loc Minier

--
Ubuntu-mobile mailing list
Ubuntu-mobile@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-mobile
 
Old 10-07-2008, 12:16 PM
Oliver Grawert
 
Default (maybe not very wise) question about poulsbo chipset

hi,
Am Dienstag, den 07.10.2008, 11:06 +0200 schrieb Loc Minier:
> Don't know what's exactly involved in using 2.6.24 in intrepid, but the
> hardy kernel and psb bits were tested and working okay-ish (to the best
> of what the psb drivers allow); including 3D and codecs acceleration.
the xorg bits might not work though ...

ciao
oli
--
Ubuntu-mobile mailing list
Ubuntu-mobile@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-mobile
 
Old 10-07-2008, 12:20 PM
Oliver Grawert
 
Default (maybe not very wise) question about poulsbo chipset

hi,
Am Dienstag, den 07.10.2008, 10:37 +0200 schrieb Piotr Kempa:
> Thank you for the explanation. Let's hope this will make it to Jaunty
> then. Vesa works fine, it's just that our company is designing a MID and
> we're betting a bit on PSB codec acceleration and 3d capabilities (for
> compiz). We'd really like to sell the device with a sweet eye candy user
> interface, Ubuntu based. And leverage the HW acceleration of 3d and
> movie codeds as a good selling point for Linux too.
do you have an option to go with something like a i965 instead ? i would
really opt for a fully open graphics driver, the currently not very open
nature of the psb 3D stack and its slow development (which would be a
lot faster if upstream decided to hand development to xorg upstream like
done with the intel and i810 drivers) will likely get you more probs in
the future compared to something fully free like i9xx if you consider
offering linux based solutions ...

ciao
oli
--
Ubuntu-mobile mailing list
Ubuntu-mobile@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-mobile
 
Old 10-07-2008, 02:19 PM
Piotr Kempa
 
Default (maybe not very wise) question about poulsbo chipset

Hi Oli,

i965 is not an option because we need the Atom Silverthorne CPU (low
power) - and it requires Poulsbo chipset, can't work with older chips
like i965 as far as I could check. I fully agree though with you about
opening the 3d driver. But until they do that, we're stuck. Which is
something I won't forget to complain about when I talk to Intel, believe
me

Piotr

Oliver Grawert wrote:
> hi,
> Am Dienstag, den 07.10.2008, 10:37 +0200 schrieb Piotr Kempa:
>> Thank you for the explanation. Let's hope this will make it to Jaunty
>> then. Vesa works fine, it's just that our company is designing a MID and
>> we're betting a bit on PSB codec acceleration and 3d capabilities (for
>> compiz). We'd really like to sell the device with a sweet eye candy user
>> interface, Ubuntu based. And leverage the HW acceleration of 3d and
>> movie codeds as a good selling point for Linux too.
> do you have an option to go with something like a i965 instead ? i would
> really opt for a fully open graphics driver, the currently not very open
> nature of the psb 3D stack and its slow development (which would be a
> lot faster if upstream decided to hand development to xorg upstream like
> done with the intel and i810 drivers) will likely get you more probs in
> the future compared to something fully free like i9xx if you consider
> offering linux based solutions ...
>
> ciao
> oli
>


--
Ubuntu-mobile mailing list
Ubuntu-mobile@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-mobile
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:52 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org