Old 10-06-2008, 12:17 PM
"Jason Pimble"

Default Testing ubtuntu-mid and ubuntu-mobile

I have been playing with the two Ubuntu Mobile variants on my Samsung Q1U
(NP-Q1UAY01/SE upgraded to 2GB of RAM), and had previously installed the
mid-8.04.1-mccaslin-install-usb image on the device. All of the versions
are very nifty, but I found a few quirks:

I installed ubuntu-mobile.img (20081004) to the hard drive and applied all
the latest updates and it works great, except I can't figure out how to
get to the menu for Midbrowser so I can do things like change preferences,
install extensions (I need AdBlock!), etc. Am I just not finding a button
or a key press to get this to appear?

I also tested ubuntu-mid.img (20081006) as Live USB (did not install) and
had these problems:

-Only detected 903888 of RAM (-mobile and the 8.04 MID image both find
2063196 kB correct amount of RAM). On boot the kernel says (via dmesg):
Warning only 896MB will be used.
Use a HIGHMEM enabled kernel.
-Must double-clock to launch apps...not very easy to do with my finger
-Couldn't figure out how to attach to a wireless network. The device
looks like it was detected, but I don't see any networks listsed, and if I
select "Auto wlan0" the icon spins for a bit, then stops.
-Sound Mixer and Screen Resolution icons are missing
-Some icons are low resolution (Terminal, Bulk Rename, Alarm Clock,
Buttons, About Me)

I noticed that the samsung-q1-ultra-keycode-setup script isn't present in
either the -mid or -mobile images, and that the hotkey-setup script
doesn't have any hotkey configuration for the Samsung Q1U either. It
seemed like hotkey-setup was the right place to put the key bindings, so I
modified the /etc/init.d/hotkey-setup script and added a
/usr/share/hotkey-setup/samsung-sq1us.hk config file (based on what was in
the samsung-q1-ultra-keycode-setup in the mid 8.04.01 image). I could not
test the UDF or shutter buttons because these buttons do not exist on my
Q1U. I have attached a patch for the changes I made (it's been a while
since I have made a patch, I hope I created it correctly).

-Jason