Old 10-02-2008, 07:56 PM
"Stewart Midwinter"

Default solution for Grub "error 5" when booting off a USB stick

At one point I knew this, but somehow overlooked it recently.

Say you are copying a ubuntu-mid.img file to a USB stick, say with this command in linux or Mac OS X:
dd if=ubuntu-mid.img of=/dev/disk2 bs=1024

you firstly need to ensure that your USB stick is formatted with FAT16 file system. If you're doing this in Windows, make sure you don't select FAT32 or your stick probably won't boot.* Grub will be unable to read the FAT table on the USB stick and will thus give you the 'error 5' which means there's a problem with the partition table.

cheers

Old 10-02-2008, 08:02 PM
Loc Minier

On Thu, Oct 02, 2008, Stewart Midwinter wrote:
> Say you are copying a ubuntu-mid.img file to a USB stick, say with this
> command in linux or Mac OS X:
> dd if=ubuntu-mid.img of=/dev/disk2 bs=1024

Actually if you really want to make sure your stick boots in the most
places, you need to write the image directly at the root, not in a
partition. Under Linux, you should probably write to /dev/sde, not
/dev/sde1. I don't know how device names are named under OSX.

Some BIOSes can not boot sticks created by writing to the first
partition.

Careful, this makes it harder to recover a clean partition table on the
USB key if you want one later.

--
Loc Minier