Old 10-02-2008, 07:51 PM
"Stewart Midwinter"

Default ubuntu-mid on Dell Latitude D-630

Not the target hardware for sure, but I wanted to test my USB stick to see if the ubuntu-mid image had been properly copied onto it. So I tried booting my Dell Latitude D-630 with the latest Intrepid image from 20081002.* It booted up just fine and looked quite nice.* A couple of comments (no fix required for any of this given this laptop is not the target hardware):

- I couldn't get the wireless card to be detected (I think).* When I set up a new wireless network, the SSID field was not populated with any networks, and I was not able to connect even after typing in the SSID manually and entering the WEP key.* However, I was immediately able to get a wired connection working.

- all apps seemed to work except for the web browser, which failed to launch.* I didn't investigate further.

- the dual-core processor running at 2.0 GHz was correctly identified.

At least I was able to determine that my USB stick had the image correctly installed on it.

cheers

Old 10-02-2008, 07:59 PM
Loc Minier

First, thanks a lot for your report!

On Thu, Oct 02, 2008, Stewart Midwinter wrote:
> - I couldn't get the wireless card to be detected (I think). When I set up
> a new wireless network, the SSID field was not populated with any networks,
> and I was not able to connect even after typing in the SSID manually and
> entering the WEP key. However, I was immediately able to get a wired
> connection working.

Not clear what the issue is here, but we currently don't have any
restricted drivers for lpia (e.g. madwifi); depends what wifi hardware
you exactly have.

> - all apps seemed to work except for the web browser, which failed to
> launch. I didn't investigate further.

Known, simple rebuild was required, this is being pushed or is already
pushed but will land after the intrepid beta release.

Thanks again!
--
Loc Minier

Old 10-02-2008, 08:06 PM
"Raseel Bhagat"

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 02, 2008, Stewart Midwinter wrote:

> - I couldn't get the wireless card to be detected (I think). *When I set up

> a new wireless network, the SSID field was not populated with any networks,

> and I was not able to connect even after typing in the SSID manually and

> entering the WEP key. *However, I was immediately able to get a wired

> connection working.

*Not clear what the issue is here, but we currently don't have any

*restricted drivers for lpia (e.g. madwifi); depends what wifi hardware

*you exactly have.

The Latitude D630 has the Intel Pro Wireless 3945 card.
This card worked great in 7.10 with the ipw3945 wireless driver.
When I upgrade to 8.04 I faced some issues with the new iwl3945 wireless driver.

I think there was bug for the same on Launchpad( too lazy to search right now). Some people
had suggested going back to the ipw3945 driver.
Finally I got it work by downloading the source from http://www.intellinuxwireless.org

Maybe you can try doing the same.

Thanks,
Raseel.