Old 09-28-2008, 08:01 PM
William Atwell

Default Wifi On Asus Eee PC701

Hi Guys,
I tried UBUNTU-Mobile over the weekend. And, overall, I was very impressed with the progress made so far. Unfortunately, the wifi did not work on my ASUS 701. Is there currently a roadmap to introduce the proper drivers for the 701? I will be very interested to try the next image with these drivers when available.

Thanks,

Bill

Old 09-28-2008, 09:26 PM
Lachlan Heywood

Hi Bill,
I just did a quick google for the chipset of the 701 and it seems thy it uses the atheros AR5007EG chipset. You may be in luck because you should be able to use the mad-wifi drivers. You will need to use the terminal but the instructions on the mad-wifi site are pretty straight forward. Google is your friend.*
Regards,Lachlan Heywood[iPhone email]

Old 09-29-2008, 12:57 AM
Oliver Grawert

hi,
On Mo, 2008-09-29 at 07:26 +1000, Lachlan Heywood wrote:
> Hi Bill,
>

> I just did a quick google for the chipset of the 701 and it seems thy
> it uses the atheros AR5007EG chipset. You may be in luck because you
> should be able to use the mad-wifi drivers. You will need to use the
> terminal but the instructions on the mad-wifi site are pretty straight
> forward. Google is your friend.
note that the madwifi drivers are included in the ubuntu-mobile image in
the linux-restricted-modules package, but there is currently an attempt
to replace the restricted madwifi drivers with the new ath5k drivers so
these are included in the image as well, it might happen that during
boot the ath5k driver supersedes the madwifi one, to work around that
you can try the following:
create a file: /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-ath with the following line:
blacklist ath5k
run: sudo update-initramfs -u
then reboot, that will avoid the usage of the ath5k driver which is
broken on some chipsets ...

ciao
oli