-   Ubuntu Mobile and Embedded (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-mobile-embedded/)
-   -   Ubuntu-mid on Asus Eee PC 701 (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-mobile-embedded/167067-ubuntu-mid-asus-eee-pc-701-a.html)

"Stewart Midwinter" 09-26-2008 11:31 PM

Ubuntu-mid on Asus Eee PC 701

Just for a lark I tried this distro on my original Eee PC. *I used dd to push the image over to a 1 GB USB key, and booted off it.*

When the desktop came up I noticed a few things...- the fonts were VERY large. *I was unable to figure out how to reduce the size of the default font
- the touchpad is not recognized, but a USB mouse is

At this point the distro is not very suited to the Eee PC. (Not that it was intended to be, either).

cheers

Bryce Harrington 09-26-2008 11:49 PM

Ubuntu-mid on Asus Eee PC 701

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 05:31:37PM -0600, Stewart Midwinter wrote:
> Just for a lark I tried this distro on my original Eee PC. I used dd to
> push the image over to a 1 GB USB key, and booted off it.
> When the desktop came up I noticed a few things...
> - the fonts were VERY large. I was unable to figure out how to reduce the
> size of the default font

Possibly the dpi values are incorrect; a common thing that causes
incorrect dpi is incorrect EDID. xdpyinfo shows your dpi. If it seems
out of wack (96 would be normal) then look in your /var/log/Xorg.0.log
- search for /edid/i typically. If the edid isn't listed, then you can
use the read-edid package to do 'get-edid | parse-edid'. The thing to
check is if the EDID screen dimensions are accurate. If it turns out
this is the case, the workaround is to specify your screen settings in
your xorg.conf; for the fix, see wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Quirks.

IIRC the Eee PC uses the -intel driver? Check if that got loaded
properly or if it's using -vesa or something.

> - the touchpad is not recognized, but a USB mouse is

Look at your `lshal` to start with. Also, check `dmesg` to see if at
least the kernel is recognizing it. `xinput list` will show if X is
noticing it at all. It may just need an fdi file to specify the
driver to use (evdev I guess?)

> At this point the distro is not very suited to the Eee PC. (Not that it was
> intended to be, either).

You didn't mention if you tried a hardy or an intrepid image; especially
for the input devices there's been changes between hardy and intrepid.
It could be fruitful to try both versions.

HTH,
Bryce

"Stewart Midwinter" 10-03-2008 08:43 PM

Ubuntu-mid on Asus Eee PC 701

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 05:31:37PM -0600, Stewart Midwinter wrote:

> Just for a lark I tried this distro on my original Eee PC. *I used dd to

> push the image over to a 1 GB USB key, and booted off it.

> When the desktop came up I noticed a few things...

> - the fonts were VERY large. *I was unable to figure out how to reduce the

> size of the default font

thanks to Bryce for some detailed suggestions on adjusting the font size by looking at monitor quirks (lots of detailed info on that wiki page, Bryce!).

I didn't get anywhere with the info, though.* My dpi is 96, which is normal.

Further information - I was using an Intrepid image.

I've since downloaded and booted the 20081002 Intrepid image and now the touchpad works! So that's a step forward.* But I'm still unable to adjust default font size. I tried editing xorg.conf and adding some information about the fonts path but didn't get anywhere.* [part of my problem is that I don't have wired internet at home and the Eee PC's WLAN card is not recognized so all my research has to go through my phone, which is painful and slow].

I'm thinking that the Eee PC is a little off-target for this distro and I'm going to revert to running the version of Ubuntu formerly known as Ubuntu Remix and now known as Ubuntu Eee. See http://ubuntu-eee.com/.*** It's doing everything I need it to do, right out of the box, and all the Eee PC hardware is working with it.* It also looks nice and can be easily customized through Synaptic.** Only downside is the >1 min. boot-up time compared to 15 seconds for the native Xandros Linux.

thanks
Stewart