Old 09-26-2008, 07:08 AM
"Steve Paine"

Default Supporting Ubuntu Mobile

Ubuntu Mobile team and community.

I've been impressed with what Oliver has done with Ubuntu Mobile in such a short time and I see an opportunity. We, the mobile community, finally have a project that we can get behind with confidence. Ubuntu-MID is great but there's a feeling that Intel, Canonical and others are tied up with OEMs and that the project is not so accessible. Not least becuase there isn't a single instance of it in the wild yet! Ubuntu-Mobile looks like its almost in a usable state, is platform independant, is as open as it can be, has a good brand behind it and covers more than just MIDs. It could really help the UMPC and Netbook community.

My proposal is that UMPCPortal officially supports the Ubuntu Mobile project and tries to rally dev support for it. My feeling is that the project could really benefit from more dev and community support, and that we are in a position to help seed that. This project could capture a big chunk of netbook, umpc and mid owner support.

My question is, can we do this in some semi-formal way? I want to post an article (today if possble), place a promotional ad button and donate some equipment to Oliver. Can someone from Canonical informally 'approve' and 'recieve' our support such that the community sees that it's a two-way link? One note - I also want to promote Ubuntu Mobile as a potential distro for the larger Poulsbo-based UMPCs and possibly MIDs. I know Ubuntu-MID is there for that but I see Ubuntu-MID more of a 'developer' or 'OEM' edition and as such, it doesnt connect with the community as well. This is the key element and advantage I see with Ubuntu Mobile.

Anyone from Canonical got thoughts on this? Good? Bad?
--
Steve 'Chippy' Paine
Promoting mobile computing devices *to

Old 09-26-2008, 07:56 AM
Emmet Hikory

Steve Paine wrote:
> I've been impressed with what Oliver has done with Ubuntu Mobile in such
> a short time and I see an opportunity. We, the mobile community, finally
> have a project that we can get behind with confidence. Ubuntu-MID is
> great but there's a feeling that Intel, Canonical and others are tied up
> with OEMs and that the project is not so accessible. Not least becuase
> there isn't a single instance of it in the wild yet!

As much as I am a huge fan of Ubuntu Mobile, and expect it to be the
default environment for my 7" laptop, I would like to note that there
*are* a few devices on which Ubuntu MID works now, so I'm not sure that
it can't be said to be in the wild (although only a few people install
it). I've been running it on the Kohjinsha SR series (for which Mobile
is a better choice), and on the Sharp D4. I know some users have been
using it on the Aigo MID. While there's not a lot of hardware out
there, it should be usable on an increasing set of hardware over time
(as more is produced in the appropriate form factor with supported
processors).

> My proposal is that UMPCPortal officially supports the Ubuntu Mobile
> project and tries to rally dev support for it. My feeling is that the
> project could really benefit from more dev and community support, and
> that we are in a position to help seed that. This project could capture
> a big chunk of netbook, umpc and mid owner support.

Despite the above,it would be wonderful to have more people
involved. Most of the discussions happen on #ubuntu-mobile in freenode
and on this list. More users, testers, and developers are *always* welcome.

> My question is, can we do this in some semi-formal way? I want to post
> an article (today if possble), place a promotional ad button and donate
> some equipment to Oliver. Can someone from Canonical informally
> 'approve' and 'recieve' our support such that the community sees that
> it's a two-way link?

I can't speak on behalf of Canonical, but speaking from my
experience in Ubuntu, it's generally better to get more people who each
have their own hardware involved than to send lots of hardware to some
specific person. More developers with more hardware would help get
Ubuntu Mobile from being something that a couple people fiddle with to
something rich, robust, and widely supported. While Oliver would likely
enjoy being drowned in hardware, it's unlikely that such a model would
result in the significant ongoing testing that is required to ensure
that the releases meet the desired level of polish.

Also, I think that rather than creating a link between a "UMPC
Portal Ubuntu Mobile Community" and a "Canonical Ubuntu Mobile
Developer", it may be more sensible to join both as part of an "Ubuntu
Mobile Community" using Ubuntu resources (forums, wiki), this mailing
list, and the IRC channel, to discuss items of interest. Such a group
may also pull other interested parties, from other sources, where all
can collaborate towards a common goal.

> One note - I also want to promote Ubuntu Mobile as
> a potential distro for the larger Poulsbo-based UMPCs and possibly MIDs.
> I know Ubuntu-MID is there for that but I see Ubuntu-MID more of a
> 'developer' or 'OEM' edition and as such, it doesnt connect with the
> community as well. This is the key element and advantage I see with
> Ubuntu Mobile.

Well, no, Ubuntu MID specifically isn't there for that. Ubuntu MID
is very much not ideal for use on the larger devices (speaking as
someone who used Ubuntu MID on a 7" laptop as a primary computing
platform all through Intrepid UDS). These larger devices are definitely
a target for Ubuntu Mobile, and if sufficiently large, may even be
better with Desktop than either MID or Mobile.

I think part of the problem with Ubuntu MID is that it's generally
been very hardware specific and uses special tools to construct test
environments. During the intrepid cycle, significant work has been done
to reduce the specialness of Ubuntu MID. While there's still some
packages that only work properly on the "lpia" architecture, the
majority is not architecture-specific. There are regular daily live
images available (1), based on a mix of GNOME, Xfce, Hildon, and Moblin,
as well as the standard Ubuntu base components. While I think it's only
the right choice for those with very small screens, I'd not like to see
it cast aside just because of the history of the project (and don't
think Ubuntu Mobile is the right choice for a 5" screen: I've tried it:
it's too small).

1: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-mid/intrepid/current/

--
Emmet HIKORY

Old 09-26-2008, 01:37 PM
"Steve Paine"

Hi Emmet. Thanks for your response.
My responses inline.
Steve.

> My question is, can we do this in some semi-formal way? I want to post

> an article (today if possble), place a promotional ad button and donate

> some equipment to Oliver. Can someone from Canonical informally

> 'approve' and 'recieve' our support such that the community sees that

> it's a two-way link?

* *I can't speak on behalf of Canonical, but speaking from my

experience in Ubuntu, it's generally better to get more people who each

have their own hardware involved than to send lots of hardware to some

specific person. *More developers with more hardware would help get

Ubuntu Mobile from being something that a couple people fiddle with to

something rich, robust, and widely supported. *While Oliver would likely

enjoy being drowned in hardware, it's unlikely that such a model would

result in the significant ongoing testing that is required to ensure

that the releases meet the desired level of polish.
I was proposing that I send an SC3 to Oliver (mainly as I know him and he's not far from me in Germany) to help out with the SCH/Poulsbo testing, not buying up the contents of Dynamism and shipping it to him ;-)

I doubt you'll find many devs with poulsbo/touch hardware out there to be honest either so unless Canonical are sending engineers devices, where do they start?
How many people on the Ubuntu Mobile (distro) team right now though? I get the impression that its, er, not many more than Oliver?

* *Also, I think that rather than creating a link between a "UMPC

Portal Ubuntu Mobile Community" and a "Canonical Ubuntu Mobile

Developer", it may be more sensible to join both as part of an "Ubuntu

Mobile Community" using Ubuntu resources (forums, wiki), this mailing

list, and the IRC channel, to discuss items of interest. *Such a group

may also pull other interested parties, from other sources, where all

can collaborate towards a common goal.*No problem. you tell me where people should gather. I'll try and promote that meeting point.
Dont say IRC or mailing lists though. Open, easy to use forums is probaly the best way to achieve the critical seeding process.

*

> One note - I also want to promote Ubuntu Mobile as

> a potential distro for the larger Poulsbo-based UMPCs and possibly MIDs.

> I know Ubuntu-MID is there for that but I see Ubuntu-MID more of a

> 'developer' or 'OEM' edition and as such, it doesnt connect with the

> community as well. This is the key element and advantage I see with

> Ubuntu Mobile.

* *Well, no, Ubuntu MID specifically isn't there for that. *Ubuntu MID

is very much not ideal for use on the larger devices (speaking as

someone who used Ubuntu MID on a 7" laptop as a primary computing

platform all through Intrepid UDS). *These larger devices are definitely

a target for Ubuntu Mobile, and if sufficiently large, may even be

better with Desktop than either MID or Mobile.
Dont forget, touch-interfaces are important here with the mid-range devices. With either large or small screen, the finger doesnt change its size so moving to desktop just because a device has a large screen is a mistake. I see Ubuntu Mobile targeted at the nobile devices. Sub 1KG, often without keyboards.

--*OK. I'm happy to promote Ubuntu-Mobile for UMPC-sized Poulsbo devices and very happy to see it happen.
Send me details of the ubuntu forum that people should plug into, details of the team and its project wiki/plan and

I'll create a news item to say that we're behind Ubuntu Mobile as our #1 hope for UMPCs. Some promo work has to be done somewhere along the lines, I hope this little bit will help to seed enough support and action to get things moving quickly. Netbooks, MIDs and UMPCs are the biggest chance that Linux has ever had to get into the hands of millions but in my opinion, you havent got long before others come in on the scene.

Steve

--
Steve 'Chippy' Paine
Promoting mobile computing devices *to
over 220,000 people per month through
UMPCPortal.com

Old 09-26-2008, 02:21 PM
Emmet Hikory

Steve Paine wrote:
> I was proposing that I send an SC3 to Oliver (mainly as I know him and
> he's not far from me in Germany) to help out with the SCH/Poulsbo
> testing, not buying up the contents of Dynamism and shipping it to him ;-)
> I doubt you'll find many devs with poulsbo/touch hardware out there to
> be honest either so unless Canonical are sending engineers devices,
> where do they start?

Oh. Yeah. One device to Oliver is probably a good idea I'm a
little lucky because of where I live, and got a Sharp D4 yesterday, on
which I've been testing both Ubuntu Mobile and Ubuntu MID (although I
think ultimately I'll be using Ubuntu MID, because of the DPI).

> How many people on the Ubuntu Mobile (distro) team right now though? I
> get the impression that its, er, not many more than Oliver?

Well, Ubuntu Mobile is one of two flavours (Mobile and MID) created
by the Ubuntu Mobile team. I think there are 5-6 people who actively
contribute stuff, and about the same that spend time on IRC testing and
sending patches. Not nearly enough

> No problem. you tell me where people should gather. I'll try and promote
> that meeting point.
> Dont say IRC or mailing lists though. Open, easy to use forums is
> probaly the best way to achieve the critical seeding process.

You're probably right. While I live on IRC and mailing lits, forums
are much more accessible. What do you think about using the Ubuntu Forums?

> Dont forget, touch-interfaces are important here with the mid-range
> devices. With either large or small screen, the finger doesnt change its
> size so moving to desktop just because a device has a large screen is a
> mistake. I see Ubuntu Mobile targeted at the nobile devices. Sub 1KG,
> often without keyboards.

Certainly not. The issue is mostly about DPI, not screen size.
While I say "Ubuntu MID is for 4-6" devices, and Ubuntu Mobile is for
7-9" devices, and Ubuntu Desktop is a good choice for > 10" devices",
what I'm really saying is if one more than 200 DPI, Ubuntu Mobile gets a
little cramped, and when one drops below about 100 DPI, Ubuntu Mobile
gets a little chunky.

> OK. I'm happy to promote Ubuntu-Mobile for UMPC-sized Poulsbo devices
> and very happy to see it happen.
> Send me details of the ubuntu forum that people should plug into,
> details of the team and its project wiki/plan and

The wiki needs work. I'll see if I can spend some time on it, but
if anyone else wants to flesh out more on wiki.ubuntu.com, that would be
great. I'll approach the forums team to see how we can register a
forum, but that will require some forum admins: any volunteers?

> I'll create a news item to say that we're behind Ubuntu Mobile as our #1
> hope for UMPCs. Some promo work has to be done somewhere along the
> lines, I hope this little bit will help to seed enough support and
> action to get things moving quickly. Netbooks, MIDs and UMPCs are the
> biggest chance that Linux has ever had to get into the hands of millions
> but in my opinion, you havent got long before others come in on the scene.

Thanks for this. Such an article would be a great help. I agree
about timing, but there's some work needing doing on getting the wiki
cleaned up and the forums staffed. Anyone is welcome to join and help
with that, but until those are in place, I don't think there's anything
but mailing lists and IRC channels.

--
Emmet HIKORY

Old 09-26-2008, 02:37 PM
Ryan Gallagher

Ok it downloads and unpacks fine, then it gets into trouble (see below).* Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ryan.

root@ubuntu:/# dpkg -i linux-image*deb

(Reading database ... 99891 files and directories currently installed.)

Preparing to replace linux-image-2.6.27-4-generic 2.6.27-4.6 (using linux-image-2.6.27-4-generic_2.6.27-4.6_i386.deb) ...

Done.

Unpacking replacement linux-image-2.6.27-4-generic ...

Running postrm hook script /sbin/update-grub.

Searching for GRUB installation directory ... found: /boot/grub

findfs: Unable to resolve 'UUID=ed2f6ce4-7e7c-4a78-8617-c5eb74d3f540'

Cannot determine root device.* Assuming /dev/hda1

This error is probably caused by an invalid /etc/fstab

Searching for default file ... found: /boot/grub/default

Testing for an existing GRUB menu.lst file ... found: /boot/grub/menu.lst

Searching for splash image ... none found, skipping ...

Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-4-generic

Found kernel: /boot/last-good-boot/vmlinuz

Updating /boot/grub/menu.lst ... done

Setting up linux-image-2.6.27-4-generic (2.6.27-4.6) ...

Running depmod.

update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.27-4-generic

grep: /proc/modules: No such file or directory

grep: /proc/modules: No such file or directory

grep: /proc/modules: No such file or directory

grep: /proc/modules: No such file or directory

grep: /proc/modules: No such file or directory

grep: /proc/modules: No such file or directory

grep: /proc/modules: No such file or directory

Not updating initrd symbolic links since we are being updated/reinstalled

(2.6.27-4.6 was configured last, according to dpkg)

Not updating image symbolic links since we are being updated/reinstalled

(2.6.27-4.6 was configured last, according to dpkg)

Running postinst hook script /sbin/update-grub.

Searching for GRUB installation directory ... found: /boot/grub

findfs: Unable to resolve 'UUID=ed2f6ce4-7e7c-4a78-8617-c5eb74d3f540'

Cannot determine root device.* Assuming /dev/hda1

This error is probably caused by an invalid /etc/fstab

Searching for default file ... found: /boot/grub/default

Testing for an existing GRUB menu.lst file ... found: /boot/grub/menu.lst

Searching for splash image ... none found, skipping ...

Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-4-generic

Found kernel: /boot/last-good-boot/vmlinuz

Updating /boot/grub/menu.lst ... done

Examining /etc/kernel/postinst.d.

run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/nvidia-common

pcilib: Cannot open /proc/bus/pci

Old 09-26-2008, 02:39 PM
Ryan Gallagher

Sorry I posted/sent this to the wrong thread.* I will resend to the correct one.

Apologies,

Ryan.

Old 09-26-2008, 02:41 PM
Emmet Hikory

Ryan Gallagher wrote:
> Ok it downloads and unpacks fine, then it gets into trouble (see
> below). Any ideas?

> root@ubuntu:/# dpkg -i linux-image*deb
<...>
> Examining /etc/kernel/postinst.d.
> run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/nvidia-common
> pcilib: Cannot open /proc/bus/pci

That happened for me too. Ignore it. Reboot. I think it's because
the chroot environment isn't set up with everything the kernel expects
when being installed, but I'm not entirely sure.

--
Emmet HIKORY

Old 09-26-2008, 02:44 PM
"Steve Paine"

Yup. I had the same errors but it all boots OK on my Q1 U.

Steve.

Old 09-26-2008, 02:46 PM
Ryan Gallagher

I tried rebooting and once again am back to the error 15.*

Tried it twice now and no joy.

Any other ideas I can try out?

Thanks,

Ryan.

Old 09-26-2008, 04:41 PM
Ryan Gallagher

After, should I try before?* I assumed that would overwrite it.