Old 09-25-2008, 12:36 AM
"Steve Paine"

Default Feedback on Ubuntu Mobile - 7-9" device edition.

Firstly, well done! For a 'first try' as Oliver put it in his blog, its excelent on the Q1 Ultra. Far better than stuff i've tested before and in the case of the Q1 Ultra, a useable system.
Its aso showing promise for Atom based netbooks and even SIlverthorne/Poulsbo-based MIDs.

I tested/demoed it to about 60 people on UMPCPortal/live this evening and we were all pretty impressed.
Some early feedback here:
http://www.umpcportal.com/2008/09/ubuntu-mobile-edition-news-and-first-boot-video/

Will be doing more testing as are some of the readers and members at UMPCPortal.

One thing I want to mention though - MIDs, in the eyes of most people that have been following the segment, are only 4-6" devices.

When you say 7-9" MIDs its very confusing as you're really talking about UMPCs and Netbooks.
Can I suggest a rename to
Ubuntu Mobile Touch or Ubuntu Ultra Mobile or Ubuntu UMPC build. Or something similar that doesn't make it sound like a new version of the existing Ubuntu Mobile for 4-6" MIDs.

Steve.

--
Steve 'Chippy' Paine

Old 09-25-2008, 12:50 AM
Bluesky

Hi

> One thing I want to mention though - MIDs, in the eyes of most people that
> have been following the segment, are only 4-6" devices.
> When you say 7-9" MIDs its very confusing as you're really talking about
> UMPCs and Netbooks.
> Can I suggest a rename to
> Ubuntu Mobile Touch or Ubuntu Ultra Mobile or Ubuntu UMPC build. Or
> something similar that doesn't make it sound like a new version of the
> existing Ubuntu Mobile for 4-6" MIDs.

I also found this somewhat confusing but i read the new wiki page at

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MobileTeam/Mobile/History

which has cleared things up

Ian
--
http://ianlawrence.info

Old 09-25-2008, 08:11 AM
Turgut Durduran

> I also found this somewhat confusing but i read the new wiki page at
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MobileTeam/Mobile/History
>
> which has cleared things up

Just to clarify things further. I am a Samsung Q1 ultra user and I have been using Ubuntu-Mobile since the initial release with reasonable success and a whole lot of complaints -- worst being the inability to "suspend" and "hibernate". I am not really a developer, although, I hope to be useful as a tester and provide bug-reports and feedback.

I guess it is time to try one of the new images.
So, now there are two editions out there:
ubuntu-MID
ubuntu-mobile

Both appear suitable for Samsung Q1. One is GNOME based which I kind of like because of familiarity but I was getting used to Hildon too.

My questions are then:
1 - Can I upgrade from existing installation? If so, is it a "dist-upgrade" like regular ubuntu? Is it going to create troubles? (I have some amount of customization but not too much).

2 - Which of the two would work "better" on Samsung Q1? I donot care too much about video, webcam etc. I mostly want to use this as a note-taking (both via an external keyboard and via the touch screen -- using xournal), internet (mainly to check e-mail on the go and some web-sites), storage, pdf-viewer, projection/presentation.

Also, are there people here interested in customizing this for "scientific" use? (include some touchscreen calculators, plotting utilities, xournal, perhaps some voice recording, presentation software etc)

Thanks,

Turgut

Old 09-25-2008, 08:28 AM
"Beno, Tal"

I totally agree with Steve’s renaming suggestion. It makes
a lot of sense to target this to the UMPC and Netbook markets. Also most
Netbooks are going up to 10” so why stop at 9”?

I think that your naming policy ATM is very confusing. How is
the Ubuntu Netbook Remix related to this 7-9” device edition? From my
perspective this is the true Ubuntu Netbook Edition. You should probably rename
the Netbook Remix to something else or consolidate.

*

Best,

Tal

*

Old 09-25-2008, 09:46 AM
"Steve Paine"

Having read the Wiki now:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MobileTeam/Mobile/History
the details are clear. I guess anyone joining the community know isn't going to have a problem. It was just that I always had the Moblin builds as 'Ubuntu Mobile' in my head. Which is, in fact, more confusing that the terminology that has been chosen now.

The new naming makes sense:
Ubuntu Mobile for UMPC's and netbooks. (Ubuntu+Gnome)
Ubuntu MID for MIDs (Moblin+Hildon)
All created by the Ubuntu Mobile team.

It appears then that netbook remix is no more. Correct?

It was interesting to read that Ubuntu Mobile might include support for Silverthorne/Poulsbo-based devices, which include MIDs. I think its a great idea. The only Poulsbo-based device i have myself is the Kohjinsha SC3 which is a 7" device running Vista and it badly needs Ubuntu Mobile!

Steve

[...]

Promoting mobile computing devices *to
over 220,000 people per month through
UMPCPortal.com

Old 09-25-2008, 10:54 AM
"Beno, Tal"

I beg to differ. I think that the whole wiki site is totally
confusing on top of still having references to the Remix edition.

Your planned categories of products and their target
markets/devices should be at the top wiki view.

*

Best,

Tal

*

Old 09-25-2008, 05:04 PM
Bluesky

Hi,

> The new naming makes sense:

> Ubuntu Mobile for UMPC's and netbooks. (Ubuntu+Gnome)
This will use standard gnome applications I believe with the focus on
pushing specific requirements or changes needed
for UMPC/netbooks upstream so that they become a part of main gnome itself

> Ubuntu MID for MIDs (Moblin+Hildon)
Well, Hildon is also gnome but part of gnome mobile. Using it means
making some changes in your application (such as changing "GtkWindow"
to "HildonWindow" and so on) so Ubuntu MID will keep compatibility
more with Gnome Mobile

Ian

--
http://ianlawrence.info

Old 09-25-2008, 05:46 PM
Oliver Grawert

hi,
On Do, 2008-09-25 at 01:11 -0700, Turgut Durduran wrote:
> 1 - Can I upgrade from existing installation? If so, is it a "dist-upgrade" like regular ubuntu? Is it going to create troubles? (I have some amount of customization but not too much).
the ubuntu-mobile flavour as a metapackage didnt exist before, you can
indeed upgrade to 9.04 (or the final 8.10) if you have installed from
the image (which seems to have installer issues atm, i will resolve
these before release in october)... if you have a stardard ubuntu
desktop installation it should be possible to just install the
ubuntu-mobile package on top which should get you all applications and
the setup for ubuntu mobile.

> 2 - Which of the two would work "better" on Samsung Q1? I donot care too much about video, webcam etc. I mostly want to use this as a note-taking (both via an external keyboard and via the touch screen -- using xournal), internet (mainly to check e-mail on the go and some web-sites), storage, pdf-viewer, projection/presentation.

it really depends on your taste and the set of apps you expect to get,
ubuntu-mobile has the advantage of not needing any modifications, apps
will directly register into your menu etc, the old 8.04 hildonized
desktop had issues with xdg compatibility (solved in the intrepid
version) for example ...
> Also, are there people here interested in customizing this for "scientific" use? (include some touchscreen calculators, plotting utilities, xournal, perhaps some voice recording, presentation software etc)
sure, for now ubuntu-mobile is thought as a first shot thing to generate
as much feedback as possible and gain us hardware info and info about
apps that need love, it might change a lot in jaunty (9.04) and we can
easily create a ubuntu-mobile-science addon package that pulls in the
selected apps ... (btw xournal is included by default already)

ciao
oli

Old 10-06-2008, 11:18 PM
Turgut Durduran

Continuing on the same thread the four-directional arrows (surrounding the enter key) on Samsung Q1Ultra appear to be disfunctional. Pressing right button brings up menus, left button prints "~" on my terminal window, up button brings up help screens (just ended up with 50 or so of them trying to scroll up/down) etc.

I also tried manually typing suspend/hibernate commands:
pm-suspend ---> does nothing
pm-suspend-hybrid disconnects network but that is about it.
pm-hibernate --> ditto. disconnects network.

I do not have a keyboard I can use to test the logs more carefully right now.

I also could not mount my USB stick. Quick look at logs suggest that it thought that it was a CD-ROM ??.

This is all for now. I hope this scattered way of providing feedback is not bothersome.

I need to solve the suspend and USB stick ones ASAP so I can start using it once more. I should have tried out with the live boot.

Turgut

---
http://www.stwing.upenn.edu/~durduran

Old 10-07-2008, 12:27 PM
Oliver Grawert

hi,
Am Montag, den 06.10.2008, 16:18 -0700 schrieb Turgut Durduran:
> Continuing on the same thread the four-directional arrows (surrounding the enter key) on Samsung Q1Ultra appear to be disfunctional. Pressing right button brings up menus, left button prints "~" on my terminal window, up button brings up help screens (just ended up with 50 or so of them trying to scroll up/down) etc.

use the joystick on the left for terminal input (switching to joystick
mode) the four directions are assigned to the cursor keys.

> I also tried manually typing suspend/hibernate commands:
> pm-suspend ---> does nothing
> pm-suspend-hybrid disconnects network but that is about it.
> pm-hibernate --> ditto. disconnects network.
try:
sudo apt-get remove uswwsusp
uswsusp was pulled in through an erroneous merge from debian, we will
likely remove it completely from the ubuntu archive before final
release, currently the workaround is to just uninstall the package, so
teh in-kernel suspend methods can be used again.

> I do not have a keyboard I can use to test the logs more carefully right now.
>
> I also could not mount my USB stick. Quick look at logs suggest that it thought that it was a CD-ROM ??.
was that on a installed system ? it might be that in teh live image USB keys are considered CDroms for installaer purposes.

> This is all for now. I hope this scattered way of providing feedback is not bothersome.
perfect, every feedback is appreciated, thats the main purpose of the
intrepid image of ubuntu-mobile, we want to have teh best image we can
do in jaunty, so each info counts in intrepid

ciao
oli