Old 09-08-2008, 09:43 PM
Loc Minier

Default Using unionfs instead of aufs to run the dailies

Hey,

linux-lpia 2.6.27 as prepared by Amit was pushed today (thanks Amit!)
and now includes the unionfs module, just like ubuntu-intrepid's linux.
We don't want to release with unionfs, but as we don't have a new
aufs snapshot yet, here's quick advice on how to use unionfs with the
ubuntu-mid.img dailies.

If you use real hardware, pass "union=unionfs" on the kernel command
line; you can either edit syslinux.cfg on the USB stick and add this at
the end of the append command line or type on the boot: prompt:
vmlinuz boot=casper initrd=initrd.img persistent quiet splash union=unionfs
if you use kvm, the same instructions apply.

Another thing I've found useful to boot the images is using a custom
local kernel; of course it's easy to add kernel and initrd to the vfat
of the image, but you would need to grow it first and rerun syslinux.
With kvm, you have another option which is to pass -kernel, -initrd,
-append and attaching a casper-rw persistence image as a hard disk.
To do this, you need:
- a dummy hda image for qemu as it needs this to honor
-kernel/-initrd/-append; you don't need anything in the image:
qemu-img create -f raw foo.img 512M
- the daily image
- a kernel's vmlinuz, initrd.gz from a live CD (found in /casper) and
the /lib/modules/<kernel version> found in the squashfs (whic is
below /casper as well)
- a casper-rw image which the initrd can mount, labelled casper-rw and
containing the /lib/modules:
qemu-img create -f raw casper-rw.img 512M
mkfs -t ext3 -F -L casper-rw casper-rw.img
mount -o loop,rw casper-rw.img /mnt
mkdir -p /mnt/lib/modules
cp -a ...kernel version's modules dir... /mnt/lib/modules
then run kvm as:
kvm -m 512 -hda foo.img -kernel vmlinuz -initrd initrd.gz
-append 'boot=casper persistent ignore_uuid union=unionfs'
-hdb ubuntu-mid.img -hdc casper-rw.img
the persistent and ignore_uuid allow for mounting of casper-rw; you can
add splash and quiet to mimic the default config.

I verified with the above that things work as expected with unionfs
(apt-get update) and can now strace hildon-desktop to poke
mobile-basic-flash.

Cheers,
PS: I have a couple of scripts which might help for some parts
--
Loc Minier