-   Ubuntu Mobile and Embedded (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-mobile-embedded/)
-   -   Other hardware (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-mobile-embedded/143756-other-hardware.html)

David Boxall 08-16-2008 12:34 AM

Other hardware

The Neo Freerunner uses a Samsung processor:
<http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Neo_FreeRunner_GTA02_Hardware#Processor>.
I thought Ubuntu MID was aimed at Intel hardware: specifically the
Atom processor, Menlow and McCaslin architectures. There's quite a lot
of existing hardware that could benefit from this project, if it can be
made to work.

What would be the difficulties in getting Ubuntu MID running on, for
example, the Arima UM650:
<http://www.pioneercomputers.com.au/products/info.asp?c1=3&c2=108&id=2191>
(here rebadged by Pioneer Computers)? Is it too much for a mere mortal
like me to contemplate? Declaration of interest: I own a UM650 that
runs Windows XP like a dog and I've never managed to get GPS to work.

The short question is: does Intel's involvement make other hardware,
such as Via, problematic?

--
David Boxall | The more that wise people learn
david@boxall.name | The more they come to appreciate

"Emmet Hikory" 08-16-2008 03:06 AM

Other hardware

David Boxall wrote:
> What would be the difficulties in getting Ubuntu MID running on, for
> example, the Arima UM650:
> <http://www.pioneercomputers.com.au/products/info.asp?c1=3&c2=108&id=2191>
> (here rebadged by Pioneer Computers)? Is it too much for a mere mortal
> like me to contemplate? Declaration of interest: I own a UM650 that
> runs Windows XP like a dog and I've never managed to get GPS to work.

For the most part, getting it to work on other hardware is just a
matter of getting the right kernel working. I believe the
linux-lpiacompat kernel ought to work on i586+ machines, although I've
not heard from anyone whether it actually works on anything not i686
compatible. The C7-M is one of the processors for which testing has
been light, but is of some interest as it has been deployed in a wide
number of devices.

Please try, and share your results (you'll want to back up the
device first, of course).

--
Emmet HIKORY