Old 07-03-2008, 03:50 AM
Rafael Cardenas

Default How to install Ubuntu Linux from USB Stick from Windows Vista

Hello, I have Windows Vista and I want to prepare an USB stick for install the "ume-8.04-mccaslin-install-usb.img" in my Samsung Q1 Ultra.

*

What I need to extract the files and make the USB stick*booteable?

*

Which other option are there for install that img file?

*

Regards

*

Old 07-03-2008, 11:46 AM
Oliver Grawert

hi,
Am Mittwoch, den 02.07.2008, 22:50 -0500 schrieb Rafael Cardenas:
> Hello, I have Windows Vista and I want to prepare an USB stick for
> install the "ume-8.04-mccaslin-install-usb.img" in my Samsung Q1
> Ultra.
>
> What I need to extract the files and make the USB stick booteable?
>
> Which other option are there for install that img file?

have a look at dd for windows:
http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/rawwrite/dd-old.htm

ciao
oli

Old 07-03-2008, 10:46 PM
Rafael Cardenas

Thank you, my Q1 is now running Mobile Ubuntu

*

But I can't connect to any wireless network, should I run some commands to configure it?

*

Sorry but I haven't experience with linux

*

For the ehternet network, should I modify the /etc/network/interfaces file? I did like this:

*

* auto lo

* iface lo inet loopback

* auto eth0
* iface eth0 inet static
* address*144.3.140.141
* gateway*144.3.140.1
* netmask 255.255.252.0
* network 192.1.1.160

*

regards

Old 07-04-2008, 12:49 AM
"jason bronson"

well your using your external ip with an internal network please change it to your internal address or run DHCLIENT like this

sudo dhclient eth0
this will run and get an ip

looks like your using 192.1.1.160 subnet is 192.1.1.?

Non routable or private IPs include:

10.0.0.0/8 (commonly used)

127.0.0.0/8 (loopback addresses)

169.254.0.0/16 (Micro$haft range)

172.16.0.0/16 (least commonly used)

192.168.0.0/24 (most commonly used)

Thank you, my Q1 is now running Mobile Ubuntu

*

But I can't connect to any wireless network, should I run some commands to configure it?

*

Sorry but I haven't experience with linux

*

For the ehternet network, should I modify the /etc/network/interfaces file? I did like this:

*

* auto lo

* iface lo inet loopback

* auto eth0
* iface eth0 inet static
* address*144.3.140.141
* gateway*144.3.140.1
* netmask 255.255.252.0

* network 192.1.1.160

*

regards

> Subject: Re: How to install Ubuntu Linux from USB Stick from Windows Vista
> From: ogra@ubuntu.com
> To: ubuntu-mobile@lists.ubuntu.com

> Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 13:46:41 +0200
>
> hi,
> Am Mittwoch, den 02.07.2008, 22:50 -0500 schrieb Rafael Cardenas:
> > Hello, I have Windows Vista and I want to prepare an USB stick for

> > install the "ume-8.04-mccaslin-install-usb.img" in my Samsung Q1
> > Ultra.
> >
> > What I need to extract the files and make the USB stick booteable?
> >
> > Which other option are there for install that img file?

> have a look at dd for windows:
> http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/rawwrite/dd-old.htm
>
> ciao

> oli

Thanks

Contact Information

skype: jbronson_ny
yahoo: advancedonsite
aim: advancedonsite
msn: advancedonsite@hotmail.com

phone: 518-791-2697
home: 518-886-8012
JasonBronson@gmail.com
Web Designer and Programmer
Computer Hardware Repair and More

Old 07-04-2008, 09:32 AM
Oliver Grawert

hi,
Am Donnerstag, den 03.07.2008, 20:49 -0400 schrieb jason bronson:

> 169.254.0.0/16 (Micro$haft range)
thats a myth ... might be that they used it first,
but its a general "link-local" range, defined in rfc3330
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3330
since usage of zeroconf by apple and avahi on linux these adresses are
quite commonly used in many non MS OSes (and very very helpful for
various autodetection features)

dont just damn it for its first user

ciao
oli

Old 07-04-2008, 02:16 PM
"jason bronson"

Sorry but i hate MicroCRAP softjunk, but yes i assumed they took it over?
Also i didn't know non MS os's used it until you said something

FYI:* Rafael did you try using your internal address?