Old 05-31-2008, 10:47 AM
Luca Falavigna

Default Ubuntu versioning in native packages

Old 05-31-2008, 11:15 AM
"Emmet Hikory"

Luca Falavigna wrote:
> When applying Ubuntu changes to a Debian native package, we usually use
> packagename_Xubuntu1 versioning. For instance, sxid source package [1]
> has version 4.0.5 in Debian and 4.0.5ubuntu1 in Ubuntu.
>
> If a native package needs to be NMUed, Debian uses version-0.1 style.
> This happened [2] to sxid, now Debian has 4.0.5-0.1.
>
> When there is need to merge these packages, we can not directly
> upload them because Ubuntu version is higher than Debian NMU
> one and we receive a REJECT from Soyuz.
>
> Is there something we can do to avoid these cases?

It has been previously suggested that Ubuntu always use a version
of the form X.Y-0.0ubuntuZ when uploading modified Debian-native
packages. In discussion this was considered less than ideal because
1) it's extra work to remember to do it, 2) there aren't many native
packages and people can just watch them, and 3) the developer tools
complain when this format is used (as they complain for Debian NMUs
for native packages).

There's no way to fix it afterwards: in order to be able to take
advantage of an alternate versioning scheme for native packages, we'd
need to start using it before the NMUs, just in case. Note that in
addition to causing Soyuz to REJECT a sync, this issue also prevents
the packages from appearing in MoM, multidistrotools, or anything else
checking comparative version numbers.

The common workaround in the past has been to merge by
incrementing only the Z in X.YubuntuZ, and expecting that the person
doing so will know which version is being merged, so that the
appropriate action is taken in the event of another NMU.
Conveniently, multiple NMUs of native packages are a rare case, so
this has not often required significant oversight.

--
Emmet HIKORY

Old 05-31-2008, 03:48 PM
Raphael Hertzog

Le samedi 31 mai 2008, Emmet Hikory a écrit :
> Luca Falavigna wrote:
> > When applying Ubuntu changes to a Debian native package, we usually use
> > packagename_Xubuntu1 versioning. For instance, sxid source package [1]
> > has version 4.0.5 in Debian and 4.0.5ubuntu1 in Ubuntu.
> >
> > If a native package needs to be NMUed, Debian uses version-0.1 style.
> > This happened [2] to sxid, now Debian has 4.0.5-0.1.
> >
> > When there is need to merge these packages, we can not directly
> > upload them because Ubuntu version is higher than Debian NMU
> > one and we receive a REJECT from Soyuz.
> >
> > Is there something we can do to avoid these cases?
>
> It has been previously suggested that Ubuntu always use a version
> of the form X.Y-0.0ubuntuZ when uploading modified Debian-native
> packages. In discussion this was considered less than ideal because
> 1) it's extra work to remember to do it, 2) there aren't many native
> packages and people can just watch them, and 3) the developer tools
> complain when this format is used (as they complain for Debian NMUs
> for native packages).

FYI, the rule has recently changed (at least for native packages) and
Debian will use "+nmuX" instead of "-0.X".

And this should solve your problem apparently:
$ dpkg --compare-versions 1.4ubuntu1 gt 1.4+nmu1 && echo yes || echo no
no

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog -+- http://www.ouaza.com

Freexian : des développeurs Debian au service des entreprises
http://www.freexian.com