Old 12-01-2007, 11:02 AM
James Westby

Default MOTU school - we need your help and ideas

Hi all,

I want to get the MOTU school[0] up and running again. I have spoken
briefly with Daniel, and there is a place for it to complement the
packaging 101 sessions and the Q+A sessions. This means we need ideas
for sessions that are not basic packaging, and are too complex for a
quick answer during a Q+A session.

I have cleaned up the requests page[1], but left most the requests that
were already there. This means that we have some ideas, but I'm sure
there are many more.

It doesn't matter whether your a long-time MOTU, or just starting
out with packaging, you probably have some areas of the work that
you are not familiar with. Don't know how to package a web-app/python
bindings/perl library/shared library/gnome-panel plugin/whatever? Add
it to the list. Don't know how to prepare a security upload/backport/
new upstream version/freeze exception/sync/merge/stable release
update/whatever? Add it to the list. Don't know how
to use cdbs/uscan/bzr/REVU/pbuilder/whatever? Add it to the list. All
we ask is that it is not too basic, or too simple as explained above,
but if in doubt add it to the list and we'll tell you. I've also added
a primitive voting system to the page, so if there is a talk listed
there that you would really like to see then add your vote to it,
and we will try and schedule it sooner.

Obviously someone needs to actually give these sessions. That means that
we need volunteers with expertise in certain areas to step
forward and present these sessions. So, if you are fairly experienced,
at least in some areas, please head on over to the requests page[1] and
put your name down next to sessions that you would feel comfortable
talking about. You don't need to know every last detail of that subject,
but some level of familiarity is desirable. It is obviously possible
to have multiple presenters, so if you think you know someone who would
fill the gaps in your knowledge on a subject then ask them if they
would help you to present on it. If you don't know who that person is
then please put your name down with a note that you would like a
co-presenter, listing the area that you would like them to be
knowledgeable in if applicable.

As for running the sessions we haven't made any decisions yet. I would
guess that they may be monthly, as long as we have talks to give
and volunteers to give them, at a time that fits in well with the other
MOTU events. This will be decided once we have our first session to
give, and will leave enough time to promote the event well enough.

Please head on over to

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU/School/Requests

and suggest a talk, or volunteer to give one, or just vote on one that
you would like to see. It's a great way to fill in the gaps in
your knowledge.

Thanks,

James

[0] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU/School
[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU/School/Requests

Old 12-03-2007, 06:34 AM
Daniel Holbach

Thanks a lot James, for kicking this off. Mailing it out to Mentors and
Devel list too!

Have a nice day,
Daniel

Old 12-03-2007, 06:34 AM