Old 05-19-2008, 06:23 AM
Stephan Hermann

Default contributions

Moins,

On Sun, 18 May 2008 20:22:25 +0200
Reinhard Tartler <siretart@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Stephan Hermann <sh@sourcecode.de> writes:
>
> > Why not moving away from this LP thingy for merges?
> > We could use something like the RT for those "tasks"?
>
> Do you think about rt.canonical.com?

Definitly not...

> Or shall we setup another RT
> instance? What features do RT offer over malone? AFAIUI you would
> need a RT account in addition to your LP account.

RT is not a bug tracker, but a ticket/task tracker...so a different
tool...therefore it's able to priotize some tasks, e.g. when people are
doing merges, where some build-deps are not merged/synced/looked over
already.

> And most importantely, who is going to maintain that rt instance?

Whoever sets it up.

Again, I don't advise of doing so in general. But having the QA war
going on, and Ubuntu/Canonical QA don't like the idea of having
workflow bugs inside LP but we need to have those in some sort of
way...I wonder what's the "right" solution here?

Really, I wish we could agree on a good solution for everyone,
especially to decrease the starting barrier for new contributors...

sh

Old 05-19-2008, 08:22 AM
Reinhard Tartler

"Scott Kitterman" <ubuntu@kitterman.com> writes:

> This would help with preventing duplicate work, but I do see how that
> would address my concern about having to wait to get a bug number?

What would you need the bug number for? The only reason I see is to add
a propoer comment in debian/changelog. Therefore I'd suggest the
following UI:

# grab-merge --close

which internally fetches the bugnummer from launchpad and calls 'dch
--closes $bugnummer', or bails out with a descriptive error number.

This way you won't have to deal with bug numbers at all.

> You still need to close the bug once the merge is uploaded.

Just let malone close it.

> Except in Debian if I'm the Maintainer I have a reasonable expectation
> that no one is going to upload a new version of my package without
> discussing it with me first.

This assumption doesn't hold for Bug Squashing Parties, where 0-day NMUs
are accepted. You still need to do the paperwork and file bugs with
patches, but the principle idea is very similar.

> I'm still not understanding what having the bug buys us? Maybe your claim
> merge script could submit to the new MoM and insert a comment that X is
> working the merge?

Issues I'm trying to solve:

- make the merge process more straightforward
- lower the risk of duplicate work
- make it more visible who is working on what merge

Per definition, the assignee of a malone bugtask is the one working on
the merge. It would be very useful if DaD was taught about these merge
bugs and reproduce that piece of information.

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4

Old 05-19-2008, 08:46 AM
"Scott Kitterman"

> Per definition, the assignee of a malone bugtask is the one working on
> the merge. It would be very useful if DaD was taught about these merge
> bugs and reproduce that piece of information.

Currently if you enter Bug #nnnnnn as a comment in DaD it knows that's a
bug number and adds a link to the bug (it knows about Debian bugs too).
So if a contributor files a merge bug they can just drop the bug number in
as a comment.

Scott K

Old 05-19-2008, 08:50 AM
Daniel Holbach

Old 12-12-2008, 09:25 AM
Rahul Sundaram

Dave Stevens wrote:

And on that note, do you see any substantial contributions coming from
academics?

I don't see much of code but there are a number of people with a
background in Academics one way or the other, contributing. Usually, on
their own.

They have salaries too even if they aren't commercial orgs,
likewise non-profit orgs and gov't. Didn't DHS contribute scalpel and
foremost? didn't yum come from Duke?

Seth Vidal used to work as a sys admin in Duke and wrote yum to help
automate more of his work. I don't know if I would consider that a Duke
contribution necessarily but Duke has helped out in a number of other
substantial ways. Hardware and bandwidth for some of the Fedora
infrastructure systems for quite sometime for instance.

http://fedoraproject.org/sponsors

Rahul

Old 12-12-2008, 03:58 PM
Rick Stevens

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

Dave Stevens wrote:

And on that note, do you see any substantial contributions coming from
academics?

I don't see much of code but there are a number of people with a
background in Academics one way or the other, contributing. Usually, on
their own.

They have salaries too even if they aren't commercial orgs,
likewise non-profit orgs and gov't. Didn't DHS contribute scalpel and
foremost? didn't yum come from Duke?

Seth Vidal used to work as a sys admin in Duke and wrote yum to help
automate more of his work. I don't know if I would consider that a Duke
contribution necessarily but Duke has helped out in a number of other
substantial ways. Hardware and bandwidth for some of the Fedora
infrastructure systems for quite sometime for instance.

http://fedoraproject.org/sponsors

Let us also not forget that Larry Wall worked for the Naval Observatory
when he gave birth to Perl. In some respects, I wish he hadn't (most
Perl code I've seen is about as spaghettish as Dartmouth BASIC).