Old 08-17-2012, 07:39 PM
Micah Gersten

Default 3 questions about managing java-package in ubuntu

On 08/17/2012 02:11 PM, Cédric Pineau wrote:

> Hi to all.
>
> I maintain java-package in Debian and just gave attention to the fact
> that Ubuntu is using java-package too :-)
> And so that I must take care of bugs and questions that may come on
> your side.
> Here my questions about this :
>
> 1) I commented and closed several bugs as fixed in 0.50 or commited
> in the to-be-released 0.51 versions.
> 1)a) Is it ok to do so ? Or do you have people in charge of this I
> must talk to ?
Marking them closed, as in fixed, in the form (LP: #XXXXXX) is appreciated.
> 1)b) Is it ok to close as"released" when a fix is available in
> Quantal for a bug opened on Lucid fo example (that is the fix is _not_
> easily available on Lucid) ?
Yes, on sync, the bugs should be automatically mark as Fix Released when
a fixed version hits the development release.
> 1)c) How can I know when the to-come 0.51 version in Debian will be
> released in Quantal so that I can change bugs with "commited" status
> to "released ?

You can request a sync from Debian with the requestsync tool in
ubuntu-dev-tools which is also found in Debian. Please be aware of the
Quantal release schedule [1] which has Feature freeze as next Thursday,
Aug 23. You can request an update with features in it after this date
if necessary, but it will require a freeze exception (-e flag for
requestsync).

> 2) Who can close
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/java-package/+bug/241238 as
> won't fix ? I can't :-) !
Done.

> 3) What can I do to enable easy collaboration between Debian and
> Ubuntu on this package, for me, for you ?
> I tried the "link upstream project" but didn't understand how to link
> to http://packages.qa.debian.org/j/java-package.html ..
You can subscribe to bugs either through the PTS or on Launchpad
itself. If you fix a launchpad bug as well in your Debian upload, just
close it in the changelog. If you'd like to fix bugs in stable
releases, see https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates . If you
need to make an Ubuntu specific upload, see
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SponsorshipProcess . From the Ubuntu point of
view, we'd prefer to keep this in sync with Debian if possible, so it
seems like you're already doing everything right here Feel free to
join #ubuntu-motu on freenode IRC with any questions or send an E-Mail
to the ubuntu-motu list here.
be aware of various Ubuntu freeze and toolchain changes.

Thanks,
Micah

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QuantalQuetzal/ReleaseSchedule