-   -   Badware in the partner repository? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-masters-universe/689291-badware-partner-repository.html)

"Fred ." 07-30-2012 04:58 PM

Badware in the partner repository?

In 'main' and 'universe' we have strict rules what is allowed.
There are lots of criteria that the software must be free open source software.

For the 'partner' repository are there any criteria?
I don't want to use the 'partner' repository if it means I get get
badware or malware.

Some software developers and publishers do bad things.

Ubisoft Uplay DRM Found To Include a Rootkit
http://games.slashdot.org/story/12/07/30/1214206/ubisoft-uplay-drm-found-to-include-a-rootkit

Are rootkits allowed in the Ubuntu partner repository?
How about adware, spyware, phone-home, malware, etc?

Many software do undesirable things such as:
- Change desktop wallpaper background
- Add shortcuts to the desktop
- Add unwanted browser addons/extensions/toolbars
- Change the web browser startup homepage

Are software in the partner repository allowed to tamper with binary
Ubuntu system files?

Scott Kitterman 07-31-2012 07:01 PM

On Monday, July 30, 2012 06:58:21 PM Fred . wrote:
> In 'main' and 'universe' we have strict rules what is allowed.
> There are lots of criteria that the software must be free open source
> software.
>
> For the 'partner' repository are there any criteria?
> I don't want to use the 'partner' repository if it means I get get
> badware or malware.
>
> Some software developers and publishers do bad things.
>
> Ubisoft Uplay DRM Found To Include a Rootkit
> http://games.slashdot.org/story/12/07/30/1214206/ubisoft-uplay-drm-found-to-
> include-a-rootkit
>
> Are rootkits allowed in the Ubuntu partner repository?
> How about adware, spyware, phone-home, malware, etc?
>
> Many software do undesirable things such as:
> - Change desktop wallpaper background
> - Add shortcuts to the desktop
> - Add unwanted browser addons/extensions/toolbars
> - Change the web browser startup homepage
>
> Are software in the partner repository allowed to tamper with binary
> Ubuntu system files?

Partner is the Canonical Partner repository. You'd have to ask someone
@canonical.com. Although managed with similar tools, it's not formally part
of Ubuntu.

Scott K

David Overcash 07-31-2012 07:04 PM

Badware in the partner repository?

I believe, at a bare minimum, you can find the base requirements for those repositories here:https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ExtensionRepositoryPolicy

That seems to imply a "no-malware" guideline via:1.6*The package must not perform any malicious actions.

Cheers,David