Old 03-13-2012, 05:41 AM
Corey Quinn

Default Building a stupidly simple .deb

I've got a project that lives in a github repository-- let's call it $PROJECT. It contains a bunch of flat php files contained within a bunch of subdirectories. There's no compilation needed whatsoever, there's no build script, nothing.

I'm attempting to build a $PROJECT/debian directory so that I ultimately wind up with a .deb that does the functional equivalent of this:

cp -r ~/sources/$PROJECT /var/$PROJECT

Ideally this would bypass the $PROJECT/debian directory; no need for that to become part of the package.

I've tried a few things and am somewhat at a loss for as to how best to proceed-- what should the rules and install files look like? I've got the control file fairly well set at this point.

Regards.
Corey

Old 03-13-2012, 06:22 AM
Christoph Mathys

And one for the list...

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 7:41 AM, Corey Quinn <corey@sequestered.net> wrote:
> I'm attempting to build a $PROJECT/debian directory so that I ultimately wind up with a .deb that does the functional equivalent of this:
>
> cp -r ~/sources/$PROJECT /var/$PROJECT
>
> Ideally this would bypass the $PROJECT/debian directory; no need for that to become part of the package.

Ever looked at man dh_install? I suppose you could just add -Xdebian (eXclude).

> I've tried a few things and am somewhat at a loss for as to how best to proceed-- what should the rules and install files look like? *I've got the control file fairly well set at this point.

OK, you have looked at dh_install . The rules file depends on which
build system you use (e.g. cdbs or not, which version). With debhelper
I'd just have to add something like this to my rules file (debhelper
8):
override_dh_install:
* *dh_install -Xdebian

HTH
Christoph

Old 03-13-2012, 06:43 AM
Corey Quinn

On Mar 13, 2012, at 12:22 AM, Christoph Mathys wrote:

> And one for the list...
>
> On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 7:41 AM, Corey Quinn <corey@sequestered.net> wrote:
>> I'm attempting to build a $PROJECT/debian directory so that I ultimately wind up with a .deb that does the functional equivalent of this:
>>
>> cp -r ~/sources/$PROJECT /var/$PROJECT
>>
>> Ideally this would bypass the $PROJECT/debian directory; no need for that to become part of the package.
>
> Ever looked at man dh_install? I suppose you could just add -Xdebian (eXclude).
>
>> I've tried a few things and am somewhat at a loss for as to how best to proceed-- what should the rules and install files look like? I've got the control file fairly well set at this point.
>
> OK, you have looked at dh_install . The rules file depends on which
> build system you use (e.g. cdbs or not, which version). With debhelper
> I'd just have to add something like this to my rules file (debhelper
> 8):
> override_dh_install:
> dh_install -Xdebian

Okay, I've stolen this shamelessly. Now debuild -S spits out:
make: *** No rule to make target `clean'. Stop.
dpkg-buildpackage: error: fakeroot debian/rules clean gave error exit status 2
debuild: fatal error at line 1340:
dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -d -us -uc -S failed

This is where I tend to fall completely to custard.

debian/rules:
: cat rules
#!/usr/bin/make -f
#export DH_VERBOSE=1
%:
override_dh_install:
dh_install -Xdebian

I assume I need something like an override_dh_clean, but I'm not sure what to tell it.

Also, do I need an install file, or does this situation not call for one?

I appreciate your help-- my apologies if this is something blindingly obvious; I struggle with debian packaging, as it hasn't quite "clicked" for me yet.

-- Corey

Old 03-13-2012, 10:08 AM
"D. Lasserre"

Old 03-14-2012, 08:24 PM
Corey Quinn

Hi, Dominique.

Thanks for the assist-- it's mostly working now.

For some reason Jenkins isn't pulling the latest version down to build with, but that's a question better asked to the Jenkins / git folks, I suspect.

I appreciate it!

-- Corey