Old 02-27-2012, 10:58 AM
"c.m.bryan"

Default Need help making first ubuntu .deb

(Apologies for cross-posting to ubuntustudio-devel, but on second
thought I realised it would probably be more relevant to ask here!)

Hi, everyone!

I'm trying to learn the ropes of package management in the hope that I
can contribute up-to-date packages to Ubuntu Studio. My plan is to
package sonic-visualiser (http://www.sonicvisualiser.org/) as a 64-bit
package has been requested on launchpad
(https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntustudio/+bug/196225). I am only
running at 32 bits at the moment, but hope to upgrade in a week's time
:-D In the meantime I was hoping to compile a 32-bit version just as
a tutorial for myself!

So, it compiles fine for me and I've edited the files in ./debian/
according to http://developer.ubuntu.com/packaging/html/packaging-new-software.html,
but after running 'debuild -us -uc' (which seems to be doing
everything is should), lintian gives me two warnings:

W: sonic-visualiser source: out-of-date-standards-version 3.9.2
(current is 3.9.3)
W: sonic-visualiser: empty-binary-package

And, sure enough, there's no executable in the .deb. Can anyone
explain what I'm missing? I'm wondering if it is because the source
for the executable is in a dedicated folder alongside several
libraries, instead of at the top level, so perhaps the packager
doesn't see it?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks,

-cm.bryan