Old 01-17-2012, 10:42 PM
Adrien Cunin

Default OpenCV 2.3 transition?

Hi,

I'd like to evaluate the possibility of updating OpenCV from 2.1 to 2.3 in
precise.

2.3 is in Debian unstable but it requires a rebuild of all the packages that
depend on it.

Debian resources about the transition:
* http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=634797
* http://release.debian.org/transitions/html/opencv.html

I found ~20 source packages in Ubuntu that depend on one of the binary packages
produced by opencv. I'm going to test build all of them (either the version
already in Ubuntu or a more recent one from Debian if necessary) in a PPA I set
up for this:
* https://launchpad.net/~adri2000/+archive/opencv2.3-transition

Given the number of failures and how much work it requires to fix them, we'll be
able to decide whether we can manage that in less than a month, before FF.

Please tell me if you see any problem with this.

Cheers,

--
Adrien Cunin aka Adri2000

Old 02-12-2012, 07:34 PM
Adrien Cunin

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 12:42:16AM +0100, Adrien Cunin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to evaluate the possibility of updating OpenCV from 2.1 to 2.3 in
> precise.
>
> 2.3 is in Debian unstable but it requires a rebuild of all the packages that
> depend on it.
>
> Debian resources about the transition:
> * http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=634797
> * http://release.debian.org/transitions/html/opencv.html
>
> I found ~20 source packages in Ubuntu that depend on one of the binary packages
> produced by opencv. I'm going to test build all of them (either the version
> already in Ubuntu or a more recent one from Debian if necessary) in a PPA I set
> up for this:
> * https://launchpad.net/~adri2000/+archive/opencv2.3-transition
>
> Given the number of failures and how much work it requires to fix them, we'll be
> able to decide whether we can manage that in less than a month, before FF.
>
> Please tell me if you see any problem with this.
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Adrien Cunin aka Adri2000

Hi,

(kubuntu-devel@ CCed for digikam)

As you can see in the PPA mentioned above, I managed to get most of the packages
building. The following doesn't build yet:

* digikam
Debian has a newer upstream version than us, but the current Ubuntu package
isn't based on Debian, so I haven't tried to merge the whole thing. Either
someone (from Kubuntu? ) manages to merge the Debian changes (better), or we
just keep the current version and fix it.

* gnome-mousetrap
According to Debian bug #655930, there are real incompatibilies between the new
opencv and gnome-mousetrap. There is a bug filed upstream. I suggest wait and
see if upstream is able to propose a fix soon.

* sitplus
The FTBFS related to opencv is fixed in Debian version 1.0.1-3. The other FTBFS
cause is a bug in bluez, LP #927097.

So basically, digikam is still TODO, gnome-mousetrap is the real problem , and
sitplus shouldn't cause any trouble once a fix for bluez is uploaded.

If no one shouts, I will therefore push opencv 2.3 into precise tomorrow
afternoon (that is Monday afternoon UTC+1), and upload the rebuilds and fixes
for the related packages once it's built.

Cheers,

--
Adrien Cunin aka Adri2000

Old 02-12-2012, 07:34 PM