-   -   No top level make-file (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-masters-universe/582732-no-top-level-make-file.html)

Shayon Mukherjee 10-02-2011 08:50 PM

No top level make-file

Hello,

I am new to MOTU and packaging and currently working on the
needs-packaging bug. So, i found a bug and got the source code of it.
But there is no make-file in it, that being said I think some tunning
will be needing in the rules file right ?

if so is there a sample/template i can look into ?

This source has a linux-install.sh file, that being said it installs
using the shell script. Or should i just try to convert the shell scrip
to .deb first. I havent done that before but read somewhere. And not
sure how it will help either?

For reference the bug is - https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/830052

Thanks much

Shayon

Florian Brandes 10-03-2011 08:44 AM

No top level make-file

Hello Shayon,

I'm new to packaging myself, but it looks to me that you only have to
add the installer script (or the two lines in it itself) into the
debian/rules file under "build-stamp:" :

debian/rules:
(...)
configure: configure-stamp
configure-stamp:
dh_testdir
# Add here commands to configure the package.

touch configure-stamp

build: build-stamp

build-stamp: configure-stamp
dh_testdir

# Add here commands to compile the package.
linux-install.sh

touch build-stamp

I don't think you would need the configure(-stamp) either, I just
included it to be complete.

Of course you will need to put a JRE as a dependency in debian/control,
too. (Although, I don't think you need it as a build dependency)

I hope I could be of help,

Florian

James Page 10-03-2011 09:38 AM

No top level make-file

Hi Shayon

On 02/10/11 21:50, Shayon Mukherjee wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am new to MOTU and packaging and currently working on the
> needs-packaging bug. So, i found a bug and got the source code of
> it. But there is no make-file in it, that being said I think some
> tunning will be needing in the rules file right ?
>
> if so is there a sample/template i can look into ?
>
> This source has a linux-install.sh file, that being said it
> installs using the shell script. Or should i just try to convert
> the shell scrip to .deb first. I havent done that before but read
> somewhere. And not sure how it will help either?
>
> For reference the bug is -
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/830052
>
> Thanks much
>
> Shayon

PortableSigner is a Java application and uses Ant (see [0]) as its
build system - so you won't find a Makefile as such - the package has
an Ant build.xml file instead.

Fortunately debhelper and javahelper understand about ant - see [1].
For more information on what javahelper can do I recommend you install
the package and take a look at the documentation in [2] - as well as
automatically detecting the build.xml file it can do pretty much
everything that the linux-install.sh script does. Javahelper should
also be able to generate a basic package for you - see man jh_makepkg.

You may need to patch the build.xml to use Ubuntu provided Java
libraries rather than any bundled versions of libraries - I took a
quick look through the build.xml file and it looks like the package
builds for multiple platforms so you will probably need to patch some
of that out as well (see the Ubuntu Packaging Guide [4] for more help).

I would also recommend you read the Debian Java policy (see [3]) - it
lays out where Java files should be placed for applications and
libraries and generally provides some good advice. As Ubuntu is
derived from Debian its important that we follow the same packaging
policies.

Hope that helps - if you have any questions you can normally find me
in #ubuntu-motu on Freenode IRC.

Cheers

James

[0] http://ant.apache.org
[1] http://wiki.debian.org/Java/Packaging
[2] file:///usr/share/doc/javahelper
[3] http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/java-policy/
[4] http://developer.ubuntu.com/packaging/html/

- --
James Page
Ubuntu Server Developer

Shayon Mukherjee 10-03-2011 12:32 PM

No top level make-file

Thanks for the reply. I will try the build-stamp, I might need to patch
too i think (there is another reply to this post). But thanks, i am sure
this will be helpful.

Shayon

Shayon Mukherjee 10-03-2011 12:34 PM

No top level make-file

Thanks james, this really is helpful. Gives me better understanding of
its working. I haven't tried anything yet, but soon will.

Shayon

Hi Shayon