-   -   frei0r-plugins (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-masters-universe/581542-frei0r-plugins.html)

Scott Kitterman 09-29-2011 11:44 AM

frei0r-plugins

On Thursday, September 29, 2011 02:30:00 PM Jaromil wrote:
> dear Ubuntu MOTU developers,
>
> Among other projects, I'm the current (upstream) maintainer of the
> frei0r plugin collection and I'm doing my best to follow the correct
> integration of new versions of our plugins inside distributions,
> especially Ubuntu and Debian.
>
> I'm packaging frei0r plugins for Ubuntu https://launchpad.net/frei0r
> and I've noticed that in oneiric the package providing frei0r is now:
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/oneiric/gnome-video-effects-frei0r funny
> enough, the frei0r-plugins dependency on that page points to a 404
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/oneiric/frei0r-plugins while following the
> links of your package, I've arrived to this page
> http://live.gnome.org/GnomeVideoEffects where it seems to me that the
> effects applied on the face of Nicolas Christener are coming from
> EffectTV.

I think this is not quite correct.

> From the code I also learn that the gnome-video-effect project is
> aiming to apply a descriptive meta-layer on plugins from gstreamer,
> while I don't exactly know where the frei0r plugins are in all
> this. Despite we are talking about DLO plugins, most applications
> using them are forced to include a collection in their own source.
>
> My reason to write you this mail is double: to understand what is
> happening to our plugins in Ubuntu and to understand how we can
> provide users the correct instructions to install frei0r plugins
> (which are a dependency to many video editing and manipulation
> applications...)
>
> so now my questions to you:
>
> - are you really including frei0r plugins as stated on the ubuntu
> oneiric package? do you know anyone I can contact to solve our
> package dependency? I tried hard on launchpad, but I'm getting
> nowhere.
>
> - If frei0r plugins are going to be included as a package in Ubuntu,
> can they please be included with a reference to the upstream
> source? it is http://frei0r.dyne.org (and not gstreamer) and the
> website is a good resource of information for users and developers
> interested.
>

> thanks for your attention to details, kind regards

If you look at http://packages.ubuntu.com/oneiric/frei0r-plugins you'll see
the information about the current binary package we are shipping in Ubuntu.
It is built from a source package names frei0r.

It lists the project home page as http://www.piksel.org/frei0r and not
gstreamer. Ubuntu gets it's frei0r package unmodified from Debian (we are a
Debian derivative), so I would encourage you to contact the Debian maintainer
(Luca Bigliardi <shammash@artha.org>) about updating the homepage information.

The http://packages.ubuntu.com/oneiric/gnome-video-effects-frei0r package you
referred to is a Gnome frei0r wrapper that depends on frei0r-plugins. It
doesn't replace it. I don't know why
http://packages.ubuntu.com/oneiric/frei0r-plugins was 404 for you, but it
works here just fine.

Scott K

Jaromil 09-29-2011 12:30 PM

frei0r-plugins

dear Ubuntu MOTU developers,

Among other projects, I'm the current (upstream) maintainer of the
frei0r plugin collection and I'm doing my best to follow the correct
integration of new versions of our plugins inside distributions,
especially Ubuntu and Debian.

I'm packaging frei0r plugins for Ubuntu https://launchpad.net/frei0r
and I've noticed that in oneiric the package providing frei0r is now:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/oneiric/gnome-video-effects-frei0r funny
enough, the frei0r-plugins dependency on that page points to a 404
http://packages.ubuntu.com/oneiric/frei0r-plugins while following the
links of your package, I've arrived to this page
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeVideoEffects where it seems to me that the
effects applied on the face of Nicolas Christener are coming from
EffectTV.

From the code I also learn that the gnome-video-effect project is

--
jaromil, dyne.org developer, http://jaromil.dyne.org
GPG: B2D9 9376 BFB2 60B7 601F 5B62 F6D3 FBD9 C2B6 8E39

Jaromil 09-29-2011 01:49 PM

frei0r-plugins

thanks Scott!

your reply was helpful, I'll proceed contacting Shammash, whom i know.
some time ago he already wanted to add me to the uploaders, but the
problem was he couldn't find back his GPG key :/ hope he's better now.

ciao