Old 07-29-2011, 01:33 PM
Mat Scales

Default RFC: lucene/solr projects merged upstream

Hello,
I am intending to package the latest versions of apache-solr and lucene. However, upstream the Solr and Lucene projects have been merged so they share a source package.

I am requesting comments on how best to deal with the situation.
Currently, the source package lucene2 provides liblucene2-java and liblucene2-java-doc. The solr source package provides solr-common, solr-tomcat and solr-jetty.

How I would imagine the resolution is:
* Merge the lucene2 source tree with the solr one* Merge the latest upstream* Make the solr source package now provide solr-common, solr-tomcat, solr-jetty, liblucene-java and liblucene-java-doc
* Update the Depends: of packages that depend on lucene to the new binary package names* Remove the lucene2 source package and its binary products from Ubuntu

Outstanding questions:* Since the latest version of Lucene is 3.4.0, liblucene2-java no longer makes sense as a name. Should it be liblucene-java or liblucene3-java now?* Should the debian/changelogs of the two packages be merged into one?
* Would the new lucene packages need to have Provides, Conflicts or Breaks sections in debian/control to deal with the transition?
Thank you for your time
Mat Scales

Old 08-16-2011, 04:57 PM
James Page

Hi Mat

On Fri, 2011-07-29 at 14:33 +0100, Mat Scales wrote:
> Currently, the source package lucene2 provides liblucene2-java and
> liblucene2-java-doc. The solr source package provides solr-common,
> solr-tomcat and solr-jetty.
>
> How I would imagine the resolution is:
>
> * Merge the lucene2 source tree with the solr one * Merge the latest
> upstream * Make the solr source package now provide solr-common,
> solr-tomcat, solr-jetty, liblucene-java and liblucene-java-doc *
> Update the Depends: of packages that depend on lucene to the new
> binary package names * Remove the lucene2 source package and its
> binary products from Ubuntu

I think that for lucene2 and current solr you should leave the packaging
as-is as this reflects the way the upstream projects where managed prior
to recent changes.

> Outstanding questions: * Since the latest version of Lucene is 3.4.0,
> liblucene2-java no longer makes sense as a name. Should it be
> liblucene-java or liblucene3-java now? * Should the debian/changelogs
> of the two packages be merged into one? * Would the new lucene
> packages need to have Provides, Conflicts or Breaks sections in
> debian/control to deal with the transition?

I think we should maintain support for lucene2 for the time being in
which case having liblucene3-java does make sense which some good
conflicts (but they may not be required).

FYI packaging on lucene3 has been started in Debian:

svn://svn.debian.org/svn/pkg-java/trunk/lucene3/

However this has been stalled for some time and the ITP owner has just
stood down from packaging in Debian. Whatever we do in Ubuntu we should
make sure we are collaborating with the Debian Java - the Java delta
between Ubuntu and Debian is minimal and we should try to keep it that
way.

I'd be interested on working on this as well; I want to try an get
OpenGROK packaged and an update for solr would be no bad thing.

Cheers

James

--
James Page