Old 02-12-2008, 12:22 PM
Jon Reagan

Default Package upload questions

Hello everyone,

I have 3 more questions, and they should be the last since OpenProj is
just about ready to upload.

1) I have signed the packages, but had to add -kGPGKEYID to the end of
dpkg-buildpackage to do so. Is this a problem?

2) I will try to upload my packages this afternoon (from the -5hr point
of view). Which packages do I need to upload to REVU (I have
the .dsc, .changes., and tar.gz)?

3) What is an Elgamal GPG key? I read on the REVU wiki that I will need
one for to log on to the web interface.

Thanks folks for being so patient with me as I learn the ropes!

Thanks,

Jon

Old 02-12-2008, 01:00 PM
Stefan Potyra

Hi,

Am Dienstag, 12. Februar 2008 14:22 schrieb Jon Reagan:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have 3 more questions, and they should be the last since OpenProj is
> just about ready to upload.
>
> 1) I have signed the packages, but had to add -kGPGKEYID to the end of
> dpkg-buildpackage to do so. Is this a problem?

No.

> 2) I will try to upload my packages this afternoon (from the -5hr point
> of view). Which packages do I need to upload to REVU (I have
> the .dsc, .changes., and tar.gz)?

A source package consists of three files*: the orig.tar.gz (that should be
what you downloaded from upstream), the .diff.gz (containing a diff of the
changes you've done, e.g. the debian directory and what's in there) and
the .dsc file, which stores some information (e.g. md5sums, sizes of the
other two files).

To describe a particular upload, the changes-file is used. The main purpose of
this (apart from some meta-data), the signature of the changes-file can be
used to validate if the upload originates from someone who is allowed to
upload or not.

Hence you'll always use dput on the changes file (which should basically just
upload the orig.tar.gz, the .diff.gz, the .dsc and as last item the .changes
file via ftp).

> 3) What is an Elgamal GPG key? I read on the REVU wiki that I will need
> one for to log on to the web interface.

Basically, this key is needed, so that REVU can encrypt your password in a
manner, that only you can decrypt it. Sorry, I don't have much more insight
on this issue apart from that.

Cheers,
Stefan.