-   -   package archive inconsistent (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-masters-universe/53220-package-archive-inconsistent.html)

Hadmut Danisch 02-11-2008 09:02 PM

package archive inconsistent

Hi,

when installing the vmware-player package 1:2.0.2-1~ppa5 from
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/cschieli/ubuntu gutsy main

the apt system tries to reinstall the very same package as an update again
and again.

The reason for that is that the entry in the Packages file of the
archive differs from the
control file included in the package.

regards
Hadmut

Daniel Hahler 02-11-2008 11:04 PM

Sounds like https://launchpad.net/bugs/152317

--
http://daniel.hahler.de/

Sarah Hobbs 02-11-2008 11:32 PM

package archive inconsistent

Scott Kitterman 02-11-2008 11:46 PM

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 11:32:13 +1100 Sarah Hobbs <hobbsee@ubuntu.com> wrote:

>Hadmut Danisch wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> when installing the vmware-player package 1:2.0.2-1~ppa5 from
>> deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/cschieli/ubuntu gutsy main
>>
>> the apt system tries to reinstall the very same package as an update
again
>> and again.
>>
>> The reason for that is that the entry in the Packages file of the
>> archive differs from the
>> control file included in the package.
>>
>> regards
>> Hadmut
>>

>PPA has nothing to do with MOTU - please don't report their bugs here.
>
>Hobbsee

To go a bit further, it's nothing to do with Ubuntu at all. 3rd party repositories are
completely unsupported even when they happen to be hosted on the same
service Ubuntu uses.

Scott K

Hadmut Danisch 02-12-2008 07:39 AM

Scott Kitterman schrieb:

>> PPA has nothing to do with MOTU - please don't report their bugs here.
>>
>> Hobbsee
>>

> To go a bit further, it's nothing to do with Ubuntu at all. 3rd party repositories are
> completely unsupported even when they happen to be hosted on the same
> service Ubuntu uses.

Well, then the question is why the control of that particular package tells

Maintainer: Ubuntu MOTU Developers <ubuntu-motu@lists.ubuntu.com>

(How should one recognize that this is wrong and that reports are not to
be sent
to this address?)

regards
Hadmut

Sarah Hobbs 02-12-2008 11:46 AM

package archive inconsistent

Scott Kitterman 02-12-2008 12:17 PM

On Tuesday 12 February 2008 03:39, Hadmut Danisch wrote:
> Scott Kitterman schrieb:
> >> PPA has nothing to do with MOTU - please don't report their bugs here.
> >>
> >> Hobbsee
> >
> > To go a bit further, it's nothing to do with Ubuntu at all. 3rd party
> > repositories are completely unsupported even when they happen to be
> > hosted on the same service Ubuntu uses.
>
> Well, then the question is why the control of that particular package tells
>
> Maintainer: Ubuntu MOTU Developers <ubuntu-motu@lists.ubuntu.com>
>
> (How should one recognize that this is wrong and that reports are not to
> be sent
> to this address?)
>
> regards
> Hadmut

I'd suggest that the fact that it's a launchpad.net address for the archive
and not ubuntu.com could tell you that. I agree it's a very subtle point for
people who aren't involved in Ubuntu development.

Scott K