Old 05-19-2011, 12:37 PM
rosea grammostola

Default (Re)place conf files in /home folder

Hi,

What is a good method to (re)place configuration files into users home folder? For example if you want to provide a custom keys file for in ~/.fluxbox? Or just add a new file somewhere?

Old 05-19-2011, 12:52 PM
Siegfried-Angel Gevatter Pujals

Hi,

Assuming you're talking about packaging: packages don't touch anything
in user's home directories. They can [0] only install global
configuration files (/etc) or explain how to do it in a README file
(in /usr/share/doc/<pkgname>; maybe even include a script in the same
directory or /usr/lib that the user can run to do the job).

I hope this helps,

Free Software Developer* * ** 363DEAE3

[0] It'd be technically possibly to do this in a postinst file, but don't.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:58 PM
rosea grammostola

Assuming you're talking about packaging: packages don't touch anything

in user's home directories. They can [0] only install global

configuration files (/etc) or explain how to do it in a README file

(in /usr/share/doc/<pkgname>; maybe even include a script in the same

directory or /usr/lib that the user can run to do the job).

Thanks. But how is it possible then, that I find configuration files in my ~/.fluxbox folder (like keys startup etc)?

What is the difference between a global configuration file and a configuration file in the home folder? Ok, global means for all users, so specific single user files will be placed in ~/ I guess...

Do you have an example of a script in /usr/lib and how are users able to run them?

Old 05-19-2011, 01:21 PM

2011/5/19 rosea grammostola <rosea.grammostola@gmail.com>:
> Thanks. But how is it possible then, that I find configuration files in my
> ~/.fluxbox folder (like keys startup etc)?

These files have (most likely) been created by the affected
applications themselves the first time they were launched.

> What is the difference between a global configuration file and a
> configuration file in the home folder? Ok, global means for all users, so
> specific single user files will be placed in ~/ I guess...

Pretty much.

> Do you have an example of a script in /usr/lib and how are users able to run
> them?

Well, just a usual Bourne script or whatever. But you probably don't
need one, I've just mentioned it as a possibility.

Maybe it'd help if you could explain exactly what problem it is you
need to solve and on what scale (do you want to fix this in Ubuntu, is
it just something for internal use in your company, etc.)?

Free Software Developer* * ** 363DEAE3

Old 05-19-2011, 01:21 PM