FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-11-2008, 11:32 AM
"Jon Reagan"
 
Default Using REVU

Hello everyone,

Leave it to me to hit a snag right off...*

I am ready to upload a package via REVU and I am not sure how to join the Universe Contributors Team and get my GPG key added to their keyring.


It's not really that I don't know how, it's just I have found several different ways of doing it.* One says I need to send an email, and the other says I need to simply click "join" on a launchpad page.


Also, when I upload my package through REVU, will it sign the package with my GPG key automatically, or is there some other procedure I need to follow?

Sorry for all of the questions!

Thanks in advance,


Jon

--
Ubuntu-motu mailing list
Ubuntu-motu@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-motu
 
Old 02-11-2008, 11:51 AM
Stefan Potyra
 
Default Using REVU

Hi Jon,

Am Montag, 11. Februar 2008 13:32 schrieb Jon Reagan:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Leave it to me to hit a snag right off...
>
> I am ready to upload a package via REVU and I am not sure how to join the
> Universe Contributors Team and get my GPG key added to their keyring.
>
> It's not really that I don't know how, it's just I have found several
> different ways of doing it. One says I need to send an email, and the
> other says I need to simply click "join" on a launchpad page.

The second one is right: You'll need to join the ubuntu-universe-contributors
group. After that it's best to ping s.o. on #ubuntu-motu to have REVU update
its keyring from the LP group (this used to be run in a cron script, not
exactly sure if it is nowadays).

>
> Also, when I upload my package through REVU, will it sign the package with
> my GPG key automatically, or is there some other procedure I need to
> follow?

No. You'll need to sign your source package with your GPG key, and REVU will
use that signature to check, if the source package will get accepted or
rejected.

To sign your package, you can for example use
debsign <changes-file>
or rely on the defaults of dpkg-buildpackage (which should also sign the
source pacakge).

Cheers,
Stefan.
--
Ubuntu-motu mailing list
Ubuntu-motu@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-motu
 
Old 02-11-2008, 04:12 PM
Jon Reagan
 
Default Using REVU

Thanks for the info! Before I get ahead of myself, is it true that I
will need all of the debian/ folders to sign the package?

The source that I have of OpenProj builds using ant, instead
of ./configure. As of now, there are no "debian/rules" folders,
although all of the source (mainly a bunch of .jars) are currently in
their respective folders. So, dpkg-buildpackage, dh_make, and friends
don't work since there is no source only folder. I was told that all
build systems are supported by the Ubuntu repos, so I know there's a
way.

At least I know the project makes a .deb! :P

Thanks,

Jon


On Mon, 2008-02-11 at 13:51 +0100, Stefan Potyra wrote:
> Hi Jon,
>
> Am Montag, 11. Februar 2008 13:32 schrieb Jon Reagan:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > Leave it to me to hit a snag right off...
> >
> > I am ready to upload a package via REVU and I am not sure how to join the
> > Universe Contributors Team and get my GPG key added to their keyring.
> >
> > It's not really that I don't know how, it's just I have found several
> > different ways of doing it. One says I need to send an email, and the
> > other says I need to simply click "join" on a launchpad page.
>
> The second one is right: You'll need to join the ubuntu-universe-contributors
> group. After that it's best to ping s.o. on #ubuntu-motu to have REVU update
> its keyring from the LP group (this used to be run in a cron script, not
> exactly sure if it is nowadays).
>
> >
> > Also, when I upload my package through REVU, will it sign the package with
> > my GPG key automatically, or is there some other procedure I need to
> > follow?
>
> No. You'll need to sign your source package with your GPG key, and REVU will
> use that signature to check, if the source package will get accepted or
> rejected.
>
> To sign your package, you can for example use
> debsign <changes-file>
> or rely on the defaults of dpkg-buildpackage (which should also sign the
> source pacakge).
>
> Cheers,
> Stefan.


--
Ubuntu-motu mailing list
Ubuntu-motu@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-motu
 
Old 02-11-2008, 04:30 PM
Stefan Potyra
 
Default Using REVU

Hi,

Am Montag, 11. Februar 2008 18:12 schrieb Jon Reagan:
> Thanks for the info! Before I get ahead of myself, is it true that I
> will need all of the debian/ folders to sign the package?

You'll need a valid source package, to sign one. dpkg-buildpackage
(-rfakeroot) -S (-sa) will build you one, and tries to sign that later as
well (you could disable this via -us -uc).

However dpkg-buildpackage will also try to run the clean rule from
debian/rules, so you'll need it.

>
> The source that I have of OpenProj builds using ant, instead
> of ./configure. As of now, there are no "debian/rules" folders,
> although all of the source (mainly a bunch of .jars) are currently in
> their respective folders. So, dpkg-buildpackage, dh_make, and friends
> don't work since there is no source only folder. I was told that all
> build systems are supported by the Ubuntu repos, so I know there's a
> way.

In short, debian/rules is a Makefile, which must have a few targets. One of
them is "clean" (clean the package to the old state) and one of them
is "binary" (which must produce a .deb package). You can find a list of
required targets and what these should do in the debian-policy manual [1].

Since you are free to call whatever commands are suitable inside the rules
file to produce the package, so you could of course call ant from there...

However...
>
> At least I know the project makes a .deb! :P

I'd very much encourage you to have the upstream build system only take care
for building the upstream project, and turn this into a .deb package via
dh_builddeb and friends.

Maybe you would also like to take a look at the various packaging related
documents (e.g. the packaging guide), for which I currently don't recall the
url though.

Cheers,
Stefan.
--
[1]: http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/
--
Ubuntu-motu mailing list
Ubuntu-motu@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-motu
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:24 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org